Profile for lizcat > Reviews

Sane New World: Taming the Mind
Sane New World: Taming the Mind
by Ruby Wax

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruby, 16 May 2014
I was very impressed by this book. I like Ruby anyway and it gave me some hope. I also bought the book she advised. I am not sure about her recent news ---- she's now treating politicians!

Scottish Wit: Quips and Quotes
Scottish Wit: Quips and Quotes
by Tom Hay

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough., 31 Oct. 2013
Whatever his criteria were, they were too narrow. I expected to be reminded of many great laughs and wasn't.Most disappointing.

Xenophobe's Guide to the Scots (Xenophobe's Guides)
Xenophobe's Guide to the Scots (Xenophobe's Guides)
by David Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Scottishness., 19 Jan. 2013
I found this absolutely spot on, so I bought the English and Welsh versions. These are great books, but could do without the separate quotes on each page. I found these a bit annoying, but the books are very accurate.

Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
Perfect Poison: A Female Serial Killer's Deadly Medicine
by M William Phelps
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Angel of death., 19 Jan. 2013
I have never come across a criminal like this before. Having read about others of this kind, She has no great aim to be a heroine. She kills patients for the flimsiest of 'reasons' and foresees very little trouble for herself. A nightmare.

The "Reader's Digest" Big Book of Wit and Wisdom
The "Reader's Digest" Big Book of Wit and Wisdom
by Reader's Digest

4.0 out of 5 stars Quotes, 19 Jan. 2013
I like this sort of book and have quite a few of them! This one is a good mix of both.

(FEAR IN THE SUNLIGHT) BY UPSON, NICOLA[ AUTHOR ]Paperback 04-2012
(FEAR IN THE SUNLIGHT) BY UPSON, NICOLA[ AUTHOR ]Paperback 04-2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Pym, 19 Jan. 2013
I very much enjoy reading Nicola Upson. Her heroine is very interesting (Josephine Tey) whose books I also liked very much.
Apart from the crimes and their investigations, I enjoy finding out more about Josephine.
Nicola is a good writer, and this one is very spooky!

Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic
Rapid Response: True Stories of My Life as a Paramedic
by Lysa Walder

5.0 out of 5 stars emergency services, 30 Aug. 2011
I am fascinated by this type of book - people who are doing such worthwhile work. This one is very good, caring, even with their 'frequent fliers'! It must be very frustrating for them; they rarely get the chance to find out what happens to their patients. Ithink they should know how grateful the rest of us are that they are there. Heroes, every one!

The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: Or the Murder at Road Hill House
The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher: Or the Murder at Road Hill House
by Kate Summerscale

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely book, 22 May 2011
This is a heavy, well-made, 'old-fashioned' book which told me much about the Kent case which I didn't know (I am a true-crime fan). Well-written and absorbing, it brought home to me the fate of this little boy, the prevailing attitudes of society at the time and the length of time it took for it to be resolved.

The Oxford Book of Humorous Prose: From William Caxton to P.G.Wodehouse - A Conducted Tour
by Frank Muir

4.0 out of 5 stars History of humour, 17 April 2011
I knew this would be good as it is by Frank Muir. It is fascinating to see how humour has developed from the time of Caxton, and his own writing is quite academic, commenting on and explaining the different samples.

Tomy First Years Starlight Dreamshow - Yellow
Tomy First Years Starlight Dreamshow - Yellow
Offered by The Magic Toy Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Rebecca's Star, 21 Feb. 2011
I bought this for my new granddaughter Rebecca, who is now just over 2 months, and she loves it. Unfortunately, big sister Samantha also loves it and gets to have it occasionally. Since I have had to buy her another toy because the baby got one, I am buying no more! We are all very pleased with it, and it's so nice to find something that my two wee ones didn't have.

Page: 1 | 2