Profile for Clare Mccann > Reviews

Content by Clare Mccann

Clare Mccann (Chichester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Taf Toys Rainbow Pram Arch
Taf Toys Rainbow Pram Arch

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright and colourful pram toy, 1 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like another reviewer I have only recently discovered Taf Toys, but I really like their stuff. This rainbow arch is chunky, durable, soft and colourful. The grips at can be loosened easily by rotating the circular part just above the blue grips. The grips then open to about 2.5 inches wide and can be placed over the edge of a pram or buggy and tightened into place by rotating the circular part again until the grip is tight.

The toys themselves are bright and colourful with the usual rattle and crinkle effects you expect for items aimed at babies of this age, but what I really like is that it has a fabric finish to most of it meaning it doesn't look cheap and plasticy. Overall a really nice baby toy which would be well received by any new mums...

The Mountain Can Wait
The Mountain Can Wait
by Sarah Leipciger

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written but a little slow, 25 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Mountain Can Wait (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having spent two years living in Alberta, the neighbouring province to British Columbia I was drawn to this book which is set in the mountains of BC. The writing is incredibly evocative and the the descriptions of the landscape and life within it pulls you in immediately. I can see the parallels to Annie Proulx who wrote The Shipping Forecast (all be it that was set on the other side of Canada!) as the two authors have managed to capture the uniqueness and vastness of their locations.

That said I agree with other reviewers that the story rather plods along and never really catches fire. The characters are good and the relationship between single father Tom and his son Curtis is well portrayed, but the pace was a little slow and it became one of those books that I found it hard to concentrate on reading. I may well have felt differently if I'd read it in circumstances that had allowed me long uninterrupted reading sessions (like on holiday) but it was difficult to get into in short bursts of 15 minutes a day at bedtime.

The Faerie Tree
The Faerie Tree

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and very easy to read novel, 15 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Faerie Tree (Kindle Edition)
I really wasn't sure what to expect from this book, but very quickly it became apparent that Jane Cable is a very skilled author. The chapters are deliciously short and the author has a great knack for finishing each one with something that makes you want to keep reading, making the whole novel a delight to read. The story is a mystery and romance, mostly set in Hampshire with a few parts in Cornwall. There's a lot to enjoy about it, particularly if you've ever had a strong attraction to someone that ended before its time and left you wondering what could have been years later. This story isn't overly sentimental, instead it's an original tale populated by flawed characters with interesting histories and complex problems. I really enjoyed it and will consider buying Jane's other book too.

Excelvan® 4pcs LCD backlit display Walkie Talkies Package, 8 channel PMR system auto scan function Walkie Talkie, 8 Channel Twin Walkie Talkies UHF400-470MHZ 2-Way Radio 3KM Range Interphone Black UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant walkie talkies!, 2 Jun. 2015
I was rather worried about these when they arrived as they were extremely light weight and came packaged in pairs in plain white boxes, but I decided to give them a go. Each walkie talkie takes 3 AA batteries, which among other things does increase the weight and make them feel a lot more substantial. There is no charger provided, so I bought a large pack of rechargeable AA batteries. My main reason for purchasing was a family canal boat holiday where we wanted to be able to communicate between boats when on the water and also en route to our destination on the motorway and they did the job absolutely brilliantly. We used them almost continually for a week and still had charge left in the second set of batteries I provided for each handset. Would definitely recommend them!

Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 301 - Black
Ink Jet Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 301 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Used this for my Deskjet 2510, 1 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have an HP Deskjet 2510 and normally use the HP 301 cartridges. I don't do a huge amount of printing, but even so the cartridges do cost a lot. As another reviewer has mentioned it is hard to do a side by side comparison, because at first glance the remanufactured cartridge actually appears to cost more than the original, but it will also last twice as long.... or at least I hope it will, I haven't got to the end of it yet! But, so far no problems using it and certainly worth a try if you have a compatible printer model.

Thomas & Friends Take-n-Play Percy Engine
Thomas & Friends Take-n-Play Percy Engine

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little models!, 1 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Percy is the latest model in the Thomas range to join our household. They are very popular with my three year-old son and also with me. Thomas models are often given away on the covers of kids magazines, but these ones are so much better made and stand up to lots of abuse. They aren't particularly cheap, but they are one of the few toys that my son has which I think will actually last long enough to be passed down the generations. We will be buying lots more.

The Eco Friendly Medium Beco Ball, Blue
The Eco Friendly Medium Beco Ball, Blue
Offered by rmpetsupplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for dogs who destroy balls!, 11 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have a few different dogs in our family, but my sister's Border Terrier is the most ball obsessed of all of them, so we tried this out on him. He normally loves to destroy the tennis or foam balls he is given, so I did wonder whether the indestructible nature of this one would leave him bored, but it was a huge hit! He played with it for hours and didn't do any damage to it. In fact it was such a huge success that my sister is going to order some more for him.

BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills
BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong bags in a roll, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Strong eco-friendly poo bags that come in a pack containing 4 rolls of 15 bags designed to fit the Beco Pocket which attaches to the dog lead. They are slightly transparent, but not dreadfully so and they are strong enough for me to have confidence in them not splitting (unlike nappy bags!) Only downside is that they don't have handles which is slightly annoying and makes it difficult to hold on to them on a long walk.

Maxi-Cosi Mura Plus Pushchair (Black Raven) 2015 Range
Maxi-Cosi Mura Plus Pushchair (Black Raven) 2015 Range

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buggy but folding is not easy!, 22 April 2015
I recently had the chance to test out this buggy as part of an Amazon reviewing panel and had a rather mixed opinion of it.

On the one hand it had many of the positives of the Quinny Buzz 3 which I bought 4 years ago and think is a really fantastic travel system. The Mura Plus is 3 wheeled so very easy to maneuver and the wheels are textured and solid plastic not inflatable tires meaning that they are very suitable for off-roading as you can't puncture them.

The seat is suitable from birth and pulls down to lay flat and the frame can be used additionally as part of a travel system with the Maxi Cosi carrycot and car seat. The model I tested out was in the Concrete Grey which has a lovely smart striped interior and would be suitable for girl or boy (without being the bog standard boring black) BUT but but.... folding it is tricky! You have to detach the seat, take the brake off, fold the frame, ensure the front wheel is in the correct position and fold the shopping basket. Trying this out once of twice I have to confess I wanted to throw it across the room and I am quite a calm person!

However I do think it has the makings of a good buggy with a sturdy construction and a really nice looking design, perhaps if I had a chance to get to know the folding mechanism a little more intimately I might not find it so maddening!

Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp
Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely light, but is the wireless element really of use?, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really excited to try this new light after seeing a lot of publicity about its launch, but I'm conscious that you are paying for the wireless facility of the light, so is it actually worth having or is it a bit of a gimmick?

First off the Hue doesn't look anything like a light when it is turned off. It's small and opaque and it's only concession to electronics is a small socket for the cord at the back of the light.

When turned on it is a thing of beauty and can be configured to work through a number of different lighting set ups from one of a number of solid colours to a rotating series of lights or a subtly varying range of one colour (and a whole lot more if you use it in conjunction with the bridge) but what about the wireless facility? Is it actually any use?

Well first of all it should be noted that the charge only holds for 3 hours which isn't all that long. The first time I tested it out I stuck it on the coffee table while we as down for the evening and it had expired before we went to bed so I haven't bothered using it like that again.

I have concluded that there are really only two good practical uses for the wireless element. One is bringing light outside if you are entertaining in the summer and are having a meal in the garden and the second is to provide mood lighting in the bathroom. I have done the latter several times and it's great to have a soak in the bath without bright overhead lighting on, but I note Philips don't encourage this anywhere in their publicity material, probably in case someone drops it in the bath!

So to conclude, a really great innovative and quirky looking light, but the wireless element is of limited practical long-term use so don't buy it solely for that reason.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20