Profile for Clare Mccann > Reviews

Content by Clare Mccann

Clare Mccann (Chichester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator
Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for us, 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband has tried numerous snoring cures over the years and are current using nasal strips which are expensive but seem to work, so I was curious to see whether this reusable dilator worked as well.

Firstly I would say my husband had no complaints about the fit of the dilator and although he didn't mention any discomfort when he wore it at night, it is clear to see it is likely to be less comfortable than a plaster strip worn on the outside of the nose.

I definitely noticed an improvement in his snoring compared to when he slept without any snoring preventative, he would go through the same sort of build up to the loud snores, but never reach them. It's very hard to say whether it worked any better than the nasal strips though, I think the two were broadly similar and so there is going to be a trade off between cost and comfort as to which remedy suits most people. Personally we have gone back to nasal strips BUT I am extremely glad we have this in the drawer, because it does mean that on the odd occasion when we run out we have this to fall back on which is just as effective.

The Rocks
The Rocks
by Peter Nichols

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Rocks (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was drawn to reading this book after spending many of my childhood summers in Mallorca and in some respects I wasn't disappointed as I quickly found lots of references to places on the island I knew well and local foods I remember eating, however despite a promising and almost cinematic opening scene, I quickly found my mind wandering when reading the book and found it quite laborious to read. The characters were a little cliched and one dimensional and there was nothing in the story to really keep me hooked. I suspect it would be far easier to read if I was lying on a sun lounger on the island myself, but when reading competes with everyday distractions at home I really need something with a bit more substance to the plot to make me want to pick it up. All in all rather disappointing.

Philips GC9236/02 PerfectCare Expert Steam Generator Iron with OptimalTemp - 320 g Steam Boost, 1.5 L, 2400 W, Purple/White

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant iron, but you need somewhere to store it!, 16 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The first thing you notice about this iron is how big it is, obviously as it comes with a large base no one would expect it to be small, but in the flesh it is very large, 3 or 4 times the size of a normal iron, not something you could tuck away easily if you live in a small house! You will also need to place it on something other than the ironing board because it is larger than the metal plate on the board and would probably make the board unstable. A table would be ideal, or of course the floor would do as you don't have to put the iron back on it during ironing. Fortunately I have a spare room where the iron and ironing board, so this hasn't been an issue for me, but it is a factor that needs to be considered.

As far as using the iron, there are a few differences to a normal iron that will take some getting used to! The iron automatically adjusts its heat according to the fabric you place it on meaning it is *advised* that when you are not using it you place it face down on your fabric board (which feels very very wrong) you also don't need to adjust it when changing between synthetic and cotton fabrics and you can't turn the steam function off, or rather you don't need to turn it off!

The results are excellent, especially for bedding and it is very satisfying to use with far superior results when compared to my old Tefal iron! Having never spent a lot of money on an iron before you can definitely see why people do. It is also worth noting you probably never get a dirty sole plate on it because it is constantly cleaning the surface.

In conclusion an excellent iron, but at a hefty price and the true test will be whether it delivers the long service of my simpler older iron, which I shall stick in the back of the cupboard... Just in case!

Finish All in One Max Original Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Original Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

4.0 out of 5 stars Helps glasses last longer, 12 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This new range of dishwasher tablets are designed to protect against glass corrosion which is the cloudiness that sometimes develops on glasses when they are repeatedly washed in the dishwasher. It doesn't claim to stop it totally, but does say it will help protect glasses for longer. Despite being an "all in one" tablet it is interesting to see that Finish advise that you will still need to use salt in your dishwasher as added protection for glasses if you are in a hard water area (which I do)

I do prefer to use Finish products in my dishwasher as I believe after years of trying many brands they do produce the best results, however the choice from Finish is becoming a little bewildering and it's difficult to know after only a month's use whether this particular variation is worth paying the slight extra for (about £1 a pack at time of writing) in order to protect my (cheap Ikea) glasses. I have generally found that the cloudiness tends to develop after about six months of washing, so I shall have to report back further down the line for a true scientific result...

Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff
Revlon ColorStay Makeup Foundation For Normal/Dry Skin - 30 ml, Buff

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money, 8 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this foundation, it gives great coverage and adapts to your skin colour, it also gives a dewy finish wich is really nice for dry skin, although it has not have a pump so when you put it on your hand to apply you often poor to much, so it probably won't last you long.
But if you want a good coverage foundation then it is worth the money.

Thomas & Friends Take-n-Play Rattling Railsss
Thomas & Friends Take-n-Play Rattling Railsss

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather disappointing..., 2 Mar. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My three year-old son is obsessed by everything Thomas and was beaming from ear to ear when this arrived for him. It was very quick to assemble and easy for a small boy to operate (you push down the handle to make the serpent swing round the central pole) however there were a couple of disappointments . Firstly despite the fact the train track looks remarkably similar to our plastic Thomas and friends train set (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thomas-Friends-Trackmaster-Motorised-Train/dp/B00404FLTM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425285265&sr=8-1&keywords=thomas+train+set) it doesn't actually connect to it and although it appears to have been designed with the intention of connecting to additional parts of a train track, I can't find anything Amazon stocks that would seem to connect, so therefore it only works as a stand alone.

The second disappointment was that this was a very short lived novelty. My son played with it for about 10 minutes and then after that it has just been moved around his round and no longer played with. I also have to add that it just seems a really bizarre concept. I'm not quite sure where a serpent actually fits in to the Thomas stories or why this one swings round a pole.

My advice? You are better off spending your money on buying some of the lovely wooden Thomas and friends trains (always a hit with my son) to rather than this plastic 5 minute novelty!

Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm Stain - Elusive
Revlon ColorBurst Matte Balm Stain - Elusive

4.0 out of 5 stars Subtle colour and non-drying, 10 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A lip stain that looks like a pencil, but glides on like a balm and has the staying power of lipstick. I really liked the colour if this and didn't find it too drying, however like most lipsticks I found the moisturising effect came at a price, that being the need to repeatedly reapply it. It's great for daytime wear, but the subtle shade and need to reapply means I wouldn't wear it on a night out...

Dog Poo Bags Large OXO Biodegradable by Easipet (100)
Dog Poo Bags Large OXO Biodegradable by Easipet (100)
Offered by Far East Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars The best dog poo bags!, 5 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I will confess I can be a real cheapskate when it comes to certain things, but dog poo bags are something I refuse to scrimp on. I don't want to use anything vaguely transparent (nappy sacks!) or thin enough to risk rupturing (even writing that sounds quite vile!) so I have been buying these bags for the last year or so. I always buy 500 of them and they generally last me (or rather my two dogs) about six months. Excellent value and they ARE biodegradable too. Why bother with anything else?

Bob and Flo and the Missing Bucket (Bob & Flo)
Bob and Flo and the Missing Bucket (Bob & Flo)
by Rebecca Ashdown

3.0 out of 5 stars A little odd, 5 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a bit of a strange story about two penguins and a bucket that one of them brings with them to nursery and the other finds various uses for. I know they are penguins, but I still found the inclusion of the bucket a little odd. I liked the illustrations a lot, but didn't like the way that the text was often split, so that the final word of a sentence was on another...

...page. Reading it to my three year-old it all felt like it was over a bit quickly and I personally felt underwhelmed. He hasn't asked to read it again.

GoPro Cameras For Dummies
GoPro Cameras For Dummies
by John Carucci

5.0 out of 5 stars Get the most out of your GoPro, 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was a little hesitant about getting this book because sometimes handbooks can be so overwhelmingly full of information that they end up stuck on the shelf and never read, but now it's arrived I am so pleased I did.

I have had a GoPro for about six months and this Dummies guide has helped me appreciate its full potential. It includes details of all the mounts you can get, including things like a GoPro mask for scuba diving which I didn't realised existed and explanations of the settings including the fact you can spot meter with it and that it can be set to record both video and stills which I didn't realise.

There is also a lot of very useful general information about filming techniques including white balance, recording audio and editing film. The only problem with this guide is that it covers all the GoPro models and although up till now I was entirely happy with my silver edition of the camera (because I didn't know any better) the book has made me realise how much more the Black edition is capable of, so I may have to consider an upgrade at some point!

Would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get the most out of their GoPro.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20