Profile for Clare Mccann > Reviews

Content by Clare Mccann

Clare Mccann (Chichester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills
BecoThings Eco-Friendly Poo Bag Refills

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong bags in a roll, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Strong eco-friendly poo bags that come in a pack containing 4 rolls of 15 bags designed to fit the Beco Pocket which attaches to the dog lead. They are slightly transparent, but not dreadfully so and they are strong enough for me to have confidence in them not splitting (unlike nappy bags!) Only downside is that they don't have handles which is slightly annoying and makes it difficult to hold on to them on a long walk.

Maxi-Cosi Mura Plus Pushchair (Black Raven) 2015 Range
Maxi-Cosi Mura Plus Pushchair (Black Raven) 2015 Range

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buggy but folding is not easy!, 22 April 2015
I recently had the chance to test out this buggy as part of an Amazon reviewing panel and had a rather mixed opinion of it.

On the one hand it had many of the positives of the Quinny Buzz 3 which I bought 4 years ago and think is a really fantastic travel system. The Mura Plus is 3 wheeled so very easy to maneuver and the wheels are textured and solid plastic not inflatable tires meaning that they are very suitable for off-roading as you can't puncture them.

The seat is suitable from birth and pulls down to lay flat and the frame can be used additionally as part of a travel system with the Maxi Cosi carrycot and car seat. The model I tested out was in the Concrete Grey which has a lovely smart striped interior and would be suitable for girl or boy (without being the bog standard boring black) BUT but but.... folding it is tricky! You have to detach the seat, take the brake off, fold the frame, ensure the front wheel is in the correct position and fold the shopping basket. Trying this out once of twice I have to confess I wanted to throw it across the room and I am quite a calm person!

However I do think it has the makings of a good buggy with a sturdy construction and a really nice looking design, perhaps if I had a chance to get to know the folding mechanism a little more intimately I might not find it so maddening!

Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp
Philips Hue Go Personal Wireless Lighting LED Table Lamp

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely light, but is the wireless element really of use?, 22 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was really excited to try this new light after seeing a lot of publicity about its launch, but I'm conscious that you are paying for the wireless facility of the light, so is it actually worth having or is it a bit of a gimmick?

First off the Hue doesn't look anything like a light when it is turned off. It's small and opaque and it's only concession to electronics is a small socket for the cord at the back of the light.

When turned on it is a thing of beauty and can be configured to work through a number of different lighting set ups from one of a number of solid colours to a rotating series of lights or a subtly varying range of one colour (and a whole lot more if you use it in conjunction with the bridge) but what about the wireless facility? Is it actually any use?

Well first of all it should be noted that the charge only holds for 3 hours which isn't all that long. The first time I tested it out I stuck it on the coffee table while we as down for the evening and it had expired before we went to bed so I haven't bothered using it like that again.

I have concluded that there are really only two good practical uses for the wireless element. One is bringing light outside if you are entertaining in the summer and are having a meal in the garden and the second is to provide mood lighting in the bathroom. I have done the latter several times and it's great to have a soak in the bath without bright overhead lighting on, but I note Philips don't encourage this anywhere in their publicity material, probably in case someone drops it in the bath!

So to conclude, a really great innovative and quirky looking light, but the wireless element is of limited practical long-term use so don't buy it solely for that reason.

Graco Evo Mini Pushchair - Berry
Graco Evo Mini Pushchair - Berry

4.0 out of 5 stars Great economical choice for a buggy for grandma's house!, 22 April 2015
I recently tested out this buggy as part of a session for Amazon reviewers. Everyone in my group was extremely impressed with the value for money it offered and felt that it would make an excellent second buggy for keeping at a grandparents house. The front wheel can be set to either lock and stay in a forward facing position or swivel and turn with ease. The mechanism for folding is one that I had on a rival manufacturers buggy when I had my son a few years ago. You simply pull a handle across the middle of the seat and the buggy folds in half horizontally with no effort at all. This easy folding mechanism would be a particular bonus if as I mentioned before it's the buggy you intend to leave with grandparents!

Another bonus is that the braking mechanism is operated by foot which leaves your hands free for other things. Unfortunately there is one downside which is the handlebars are not adjustable. I'm 5ft 8in and this would completely rule out the buggy for me as I had to hunch over to push it.

However a real good economical choice of buggy though I would caution against buying it as a first purchase for a first baby as I suspect it won't stand up to heavy wear over many years. The more expensive buggies do seem very pricey but tend to last the distance over multiple babies.

Concord Neo Pushchair (Shadow Grey) 2014 Range
Concord Neo Pushchair (Shadow Grey) 2014 Range

5.0 out of 5 stars Really excellent high-quality buggy, 22 April 2015
I recently had the chance to test out this buggy as part of an Amazon reviewing panel. It was one of several I spent the afternoon trialling and far and away my favourite. In fact I'm pregnant myself and giving serious consideration to buying one! It is a lovely sturdy chunky construction which makes it feel very reliable and a high quality construction. I normally shy away from 4 wheelers as I prefer the maneuverability of 3 wheelers, but I found myself double checking that this one did actually have a 4th wheel as it glides along and turns with such ease! The wheels are textured too which means they'll be good for a bit of light off-roading.

I'm 5ft 8in and my husband is 6ft 4in so finding a buggy suitable for a taller person is very important and not always easy, the Neo has extending handlebars which stretch to a comfortable height for me and a height which I'm sure would also be good for my husband and most importantly there is nothing under the buggy to kick as you walk which is a real consideration for taller people who take bigger strides.

The frame and seat folds down to a good size which I think would fit into most cars and there is a nice sun shade included which attaches easily for when a baby naps. One thing I didn't love so much is the "one handed" brake on the handlebar which isn't easy to get to grips with and involves using two parts of your hand to release it. Something which I'm sure you would get the knack of after a few uses, but I personally prefer a foot brake as it leaves hands free for other things!

The pushchair part of the Neo travel system is suitable for 6 month+, but you can also buy the Concord Sleeper Carrycot (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concord-Sleeper-2-0-Carrycot-Purple/dp/B0088N0074/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1429732007&sr=8-2&keywords=Concord+Neo+travel+cot) or simply purchase the whole travel system including the car seat.

It's not cheap, but definitely looks and feels worth the money and unlike some cheaper buggies would last beyond the first child!

MONTAR Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS One Hand 360 Rotation Best Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For Samsung Apple HTC Nokia Blackberry Motorola Sony Ericsson LG iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4
Offered by Go4More ( VAT Registered )

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant holder and great value for money, 22 April 2015
When our rather old satnav gave up the ghost I decided to try using my iPhone 5c instead and invested in one of these. I'm extremely impressed. It's well made and holds to the windscreen reliably. The phone doesn't drop out during journeys, but is easy to remove at the end. For less than £20, I honestly don't know what more you could ask for! After all the frustration I had with my old satnav constantly coming unstuck the windscreen I wish I'd made the switch a little earlier!

Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments
Braun Silk Epil 9 9-549 Wet & Dry Cordless Epilator with 4 Extra Attachments

4.0 out of 5 stars Compact, sturdy and effective... if a little pricey., 16 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second epilator I have owned and this one feels more compact and sturdy that the first (corded) model I owned. The cordless facility is definitely a useful bonus, although I have yet to try it in the shower or bath yet as I like to relax in both these places and not pluck hair from my legs!

For those who are considering an epilator for the first time, it does hurt, but the first patch of skin on the first use is definitely the worst part and it gets easier as you go on and when you use it on repeated occasions. I know others who have used epilators on their bikini line and underarms who said the pain in these areas is significantly more and makes it quite unpleasant to use. Personally I am happy sticking with using it on my legs and I really like having a few weeks of low maintenance hair-free legs, particularly during the summer.

Personally I have only needed to use it on the slower speed and at this speed it does often need to run over a patch of skin a couple of times to get all the hairs, this makes the process longer, but less painful as you aren't getting all the hairs at once! This model has a light built into it which is really useful as even in a brightly lit room it does enable you to see small hairs with much more clarity.

I notice that others have commented that this new model is more efficient than their earlier epilators, but I'm afraid I honestly can't say I agree. For me I found the experience and effectiveness very similar to my first epilator, so as this is twice the price of many of the other models on the market you may want to consider a cheaper alternative if this is your first purchase.

Ultrasport Kids Street Surfer Waveboard Pro - Red
Ultrasport Kids Street Surfer Waveboard Pro - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Tricky to master, 9 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I got this waveboard to provide some Easter holiday entertainment for a 3, 13 and 14 year-old. The first thing that should be pointed out is that it was instantly obvious that this is not a toy for a child under ten as it takes quite a bit of skill to master, in fact I would say it's much more of a piece of sports equipment than it is a "toy".

Unlike a skateboard the waveboard doesn't have pairs of wheels, so doesn't stand independently and mastering how to balance on it is not an easy task! We eventually resorted to watching some youtube videos which show you how to place you feet on it whilst it's "resting" at a 45 degree angle and then flip it upright to get started, but then you have to maintain your balance!

The 14 year-old boy who was testing this spends hours on his penny board, but lost interest very quickly in the waveboard and the 13 year-old girl persisted trying to get to grips with it for several days but still couldn't master how to balance on it without the support of a wall (though it has to be said she's not brilliant on rollerskates either!) I had a play myself and it reminded me a LOT of snowboarding which I found very appealing.

So I would recommend it with caution, it takes time and effort to master and you need to judge whether the child you are buying it for (ideally a teenage one) is going to bother with it. I can imagine that someone who is seriously into skateboarding and performing tricks would love this and embrace it as their next challenge, but another child with limited experience of boarding (either snow or skate) may give up before they get the hang of it.

Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator
Airmax Anti Snoring Nasal Dilator

4.0 out of 5 stars Worked for us, 1 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My husband has tried numerous snoring cures over the years and are current using nasal strips which are expensive but seem to work, so I was curious to see whether this reusable dilator worked as well.

Firstly I would say my husband had no complaints about the fit of the dilator and although he didn't mention any discomfort when he wore it at night, it is clear to see it is likely to be less comfortable than a plaster strip worn on the outside of the nose.

I definitely noticed an improvement in his snoring compared to when he slept without any snoring preventative, he would go through the same sort of build up to the loud snores, but never reach them. It's very hard to say whether it worked any better than the nasal strips though, I think the two were broadly similar and so there is going to be a trade off between cost and comfort as to which remedy suits most people. Personally we have gone back to nasal strips BUT I am extremely glad we have this in the drawer, because it does mean that on the odd occasion when we run out we have this to fall back on which is just as effective.

The Rocks
The Rocks
by Peter Nichols

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 19 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Rocks (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was drawn to reading this book after spending many of my childhood summers in Mallorca and in some respects I wasn't disappointed as I quickly found lots of references to places on the island I knew well and local foods I remember eating, however despite a promising and almost cinematic opening scene, I quickly found my mind wandering when reading the book and found it quite laborious to read. The characters were a little cliched and one dimensional and there was nothing in the story to really keep me hooked. I suspect it would be far easier to read if I was lying on a sun lounger on the island myself, but when reading competes with everyday distractions at home I really need something with a bit more substance to the plot to make me want to pick it up. All in all rather disappointing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20