Profile for Clare Mccann > Reviews

Content by Clare Mccann

Clare Mccann (Elgin, Scotland)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
ChapStick Original and Strawberry Tent Card - Pack of 10
ChapStick Original and Strawberry Tent Card - Pack of 10
Price: 9.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Big multi-pack, 10 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A huge multi-pack which represents good value for money. Very handy if you like keeping one in a bag, car, office drawer etc. I suspect the strawberry version might appeal more to kids than grown ups, but with 10 in a pack and the original flavour included too there is more than enough to share around the family

The Cabana Cookbook
The Cabana Cookbook
by David Ponté
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of lovely recipes, but minimal success so far..., 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Cabana Cookbook (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was quite excited by this book as most of the recipes seem to revolve around some of my favourite foods such as sweet potato, chorizo and sweetcorn. We have so far tried three of the dishes. The Crazy Lady Cake requires insane quantities of chocolate and it collapsed in the oven, not turning out like the rather more solid looking picture. It tasted like a Brasillian version of brownie and as I have my own successful brownie recipe, I shall stick with that in future!

We also tried the Sweet Potato Hash & Mash, which was very tasty and hard to get wrong and finally we tried the Cachaca Grilled Chicken which required the purchase of a 16 bottle of Cachaca which smells pretty horrid (my husband is enjoying waving it under the nose of visitors and watching their faces!) We used it in the dish which was fine, but nothing to write home about, heaven knows what we'll do with the rest of the bottle of spirit!

There are lots of other recipes I have bookmarked for future cooking and despite scoring 1/3 so far I'm not ready to write if off as I can see a lot of potential. I shall report back if we have any more successes...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 16, 2014 1:27 PM BST

Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Revell Control RC Micro Helicopter Spike with Gyro (Infrared)
Price: 22.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Great helicopter, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great little helicopter which recharges quite quickly, but as expected also decharges fairly speedily. It was good fun for my husband and son to play with, though took a fair amount of (adult) skill to control it. Would certainly make a great novelty present for the man in your life and at a good price too!

Sarah Beeny's 100 DIY Jobs
Sarah Beeny's 100 DIY Jobs
by Sarah Beeny
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great place to start for new DIYers, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great book for beginners to DIY with easy clear to follow instructions. Although I suspect they are mainly aiming at a female audience it hasn't been obviously targeted in such a way. Although I haven't tackled any of the jobs yet myself, I do think it will be a good first place to turn for future projects.

Finish Power and Pure Quantum (Pack of 1, Total 40 Tablets)
Finish Power and Pure Quantum (Pack of 1, Total 40 Tablets)
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good clean wash, 18 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike other Finish tablets I have tried these Power & Pure Quantum ones are a loose powder which comes within a soluble plastic outer. As one other reviewer mentioned, this does mean you have to keep them dry, but the advantage is that I do think they dissolve better in the wash as they powder is loose once the outer dissolves and not a brick like lump! We have tried these for a few washes now and are impressed with the results, they seem to leave the load completely clean (my husband's favourite thing is going through the dishwasher looking for rejects!) so we will be sticking with them.

A Man Called Ove
A Man Called Ove
by Fredrik Backman
Price: 10.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Good story, badly translated, 15 Jun 2014
This review is from: A Man Called Ove (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When this book arrived it had the phrase "international bestseller" on the cover and if I'm honest it was this promise that was the only thing that kept me reading. Even though from the first page the prose felt clunky and awkward, I kept thinking that it must be me and if I could only read a few more pages then I'd suddenly hit the good bit. When I was about halfway through (still looking for the good bit) I came back to Amazon to read the reviews and suddenly everything fell into place - It's a translation! In a nutshell that is the problem with it, the premise is good (in fact I kept thinking it would make a good film) but the writing (or rather the translation) is hard work.

As an example, at one point Ove is describing meeting the woman who would become his wife and how he stumbled for words because he didn't want her to think he was "uneducated and stupid" which is exactly the kind of literal phrase you get in a translation, where as a native would simply say "an idiot" (or words to that effect.) I'm sorry to say I did not love this book. I grew to find the characters interesting and I could even look past the fact that nothing really happens in it, but I couldn't escape the fact it feels like a style of humour that's alien and a style of writing that's not fluid.

Bosch AQT 37-13 High Pressure Washer
Bosch AQT 37-13 High Pressure Washer
Price: 142.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart looking pressure washer which goes together quickly and works well!, 15 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This went together very easily out of the box and looks sturdy and very smart when assembled. There is a decent length of hose to the wand and also Bosch haven't scrimped on the power lead length (as often seems to happen these days!) We have used it a couple of times now to wash down the car and the patio. Although it isn't by any means "quiet" it is certainly less noisy than some other pressure washers on the market. I was inside the house and hadn't actually heard my husband start it up the first time it was used. Only negative we can think of is that a clip on the body would be handy to attach the hose when storing it away, but that's a very minor thing!

Shotgun Lovesongs
Shotgun Lovesongs
by Nickolas Butler
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars A story about old friends and a home town..., 13 May 2014
This review is from: Shotgun Lovesongs (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was going to start this review by saying that I'd place money on this novel being made into a film, but as I placed the book down on the table I noticed there is a note on the back saying that the film rights have already been acquired and I'm not remotely surprised.

Shotgun Love Songs is the story of old friends in a small town. Each one distinct and each riding a rollercoaster of good times and bad times. Lee the musician has struggled through his band breaking up and found fame, but not always happiness. Kip outwardly successful but struggling after investing so much money in his home town. Ronny once a successful rodeo star and now fighting back from brain injury and Henry the everyman, married to his first love and farming in his home town. The ties between these 4 friends ebb and flow as the years pass and their circumstances change.

It was a great read and I felt they were all very real relatable characters. It reminded me not only of Nick Hornby but also of Iain's Banks Espedair Street. I can't wait to see the film when it's out and have already started guessing who will play the various characters. I implore you to read it before everyone is playing catch up and reading it AFTER the film!

Pampers Fresh Clean Wipes - (Pack of 12) (768 Wipes)
Pampers Fresh Clean Wipes - (Pack of 12) (768 Wipes)
Price: 10.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Clean, 3 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Pampers do a variety of different wipes and I have tried them all at some point (usually depending what is on offer!) But if everything else is equal I normally go for the "sensitive" wipes and comparing these "fresh clean" ones, I have found these wipes often need to go over the same spot a couple of times to get it clean. They have a resealable tab, but when you pull it to open it the first time, it tends to come off in one go, which is a small thing, but annoying and not something that happens with other Pampers wipes. Not my favourites from the Pampers range, but adequate enough!

World Search - Amazing Jobs
World Search - Amazing Jobs
by Lonely Planet
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting pop up book, 3 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this pop up book which is from the publishers of the Lonely Planet guides. It's like Where's Wally with flaps and an educational element introducing the reader to some fascinating jobs around the world. The illustrations are great and keep your eye moving round looking at all the details and the lift up flaps reveal another dimension to the story. It is a little tricky for small hands to explore, so probably one for slightly older kids.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20