Profile for Clare Mccann > Reviews

Content by Clare Mccann

Clare Mccann (Chichester, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
skinChemists Hydro-Active+ Day Moisturiser 50 ml
skinChemists Hydro-Active+ Day Moisturiser 50 ml

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for us, 3 Sept. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having recently tried a premium priced serum that Amazon sell, I was really excited to try one of the high end moisturisers from the site, but the skinChemists Hydro-Active+ did not work for me. I found it quite thick to apply, so it didn't spread on the skin easily or absorb into my face well. It also left my skin feeling quite greasy and as I'm still prone to blocked pores and breakouts I stopped using it after a few days as it seemed to be very wrong for my skin type.

Thinking my unsuitability might be to do with being the younger end of the target age-range, I suggested my mother (who is early 70s) tried it and I didn't tell her anything positive or negative about my experience of it. She came back a week later with exactly the same complaints that it was too thick, greasy and badly absorbed. So sadly not a success for either of us!

L'Oreal Garnier Skin Soothing Cleansing Lotion 200 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Skin Soothing Cleansing Lotion 200 ml
Offered by Greens Pharmacy

3.0 out of 5 stars Not cleansing enough for me, 24 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have quite oily skin (even in my late 30s) and so like to use a cleansing product that gives my skin a good in depth clean to prevent break outs. I found this particular cleansing lotion was too mild for my skin routine, when I used it the cotton wool pads didn't show any dirt on them, but when I used my regular cleansing lotion directly afterwards I could see the change in colour on the cotton wool pads as dirt was removed from my skin. However I would say that if you require a mild cleanisng lotion this does the job well and doesn't dry out the skin, it's just not right for my complexion.

L'Oreal Garnier Deep Sun-Kissed Look Body Lotion - 400 ml
L'Oreal Garnier Deep Sun-Kissed Look Body Lotion - 400 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well and lasts ages!, 22 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the second moisturiser with tanning lotion I have tried after discovering a slow tan one a few years ago. I am too much of a coward (and too slapdash!) to use proper self-tan, but sometimes a little glow is needed! This tanning lotion isn't drying as some are and truly delivers on the moisturising side of things. As far as the colour goes, I was expecting it to develop slowly after several applications, but after trying it on my calves the difference was very noticeable. It managed to strike the balance between so dark that you need to be careful how you apply it and so light that you can't notice it. I used it again a few days later and I think you could happily use it twice a week just to have a slight glow if that is what you are after. So with two applications a week and 400ml in a bottle it is going to last you a LONG time! Great value for money!

Murad Resurgence Intensive Age-Diffusing Serum 30 ml
Murad Resurgence Intensive Age-Diffusing Serum 30 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh heck, it actually works. Now what do I do?, 20 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I accepted a sample of this serum with a great deal of cynicism and also rather hoping (because of the price) that it wouldn't work! It is recommended for menopausal or "peri-menopausal" skin which is not a bracket I would normally put myself in, but after some research I discovered that encompasses women in their late-30s, so at 39 I thought I didn't have much to lose!

Applying it you only need a couple of small drops. It has a lovely pleasant smell and absorbs into the skin quickly and is non-greasy and soft. After only a couple of days using it I noticed a difference in my skin but I wasn't sure exactly what. My skin just looked "better" so I went back and did some reading up on the product, I had only recalled that it was supposed to increase "elasticity and firmness" and being relatively new to anti-aging products I wasn't actually sure what this meant in real terms. Re-reading I saw it was supposed to get rid of fine lines, so I went from the computer to the nearest mirror and noticed the fine lines at my eyes had gone! (how? where?) The only thing I have tried on them before is rosehip oil which is supposed to work wonders and did nothing at all, but in two days Murad had worked. I was both thrilled and disappointed! It's £65 a bottle for heaven's sake!

I have a very well tested collection of skin products that I use regularly which range from bargain basement (supermarket moisturiser that I have yet to beat!) to more expensive products and I don't mind paying extra for the odd thing, but the Murad serum has presented me with a big dllemma - Do I carry on using it for the next 4-6 weeks (how long it is supposed to last) and enjoy my amazing skin while it lasts or ration it to use as a refresher when I'm feeling tired or run down? If I could afford to buy it every month I would!

Ingenuity Convertme Swing 2 Seat Whimsical Wonders
Ingenuity Convertme Swing 2 Seat Whimsical Wonders

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes a while to assemble, but good swing chair, 19 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First things first when this swing chair arrives in the post from Amazon you need to set aside about an hour to assemble it. There will perhaps be other reviewers who say it took them less time, but my duration is a true assessment of the time it took us to work round the picture only instructions and the slightly confusing parts. Once it is together you will need a C battery for the vibrating part of the seat and 4 D batteries for the main music/swing mechanism of the seat.

In order to activate the swing you need to select your desired speed and then push it to start the swing motion off. You can choose between 30, 45 and 60 minutes on the timer or if you don't it will time out on its own after 90 minutes. The audio options include jungle noises or some fairly soporific instrumental music which reminded me of the kind of stuff you get played to you in a spa when you are having a massage. On first try out my three year-old curled up on the floor next to it and nearly went to sleep!

The colour scheme is fairly bland and gender neutral. I personally would have preferred it in something a little more exciting than beige, but there you go! Only thing I have found so far that I dislike is the fact you need to remove the cover (which is quite tricky) in order to change the batteries in the vibration unit, however we don't use the vibration part a great deal so I'm hoping the cover won't need to come off too frequently either!
Comment Comment | Permalink

Hangerworld 45 cm Wide Coat Hangers Garment with Non-Slip Trouser Bar, Pack of 30
Offered by Packpro Displays

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value and good quality, 15 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great quality and value hangers with nicely varnished pale smooth wood. The non-slip trouser bar is wood with a piece of textured transparent plastic over it. If you want to use the hangers for hanging tops rather than trousers the bar doesn't in any way obstruct this, so it is a useful addition rather than restricting the use of the hangers. We are very pleased with our box and will definitely buy more from Hangerworld if we need any.

Becky Mantin Nappy Grab Bag All-in-One Disposable Changing Bag--Size 5, Pack of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars A clever idea, but only for occasional use, 14 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A really clever idea which I'm surprised no one has thought of before!

This pack comes folded and sealed in a very compact 10 x 12 x 3.5cm package and unfolds to reveal one Naty nappy a sachet of change cream and 4 individual sachets containing a baby wipe in each. The wrapping (which is essentially a form of plastic mailing bag) folds out as a temporary change mat, which can then be folded up to contain the soiled nappy and sealed with the in built sticky strip.

It does (unsurprisingly) feel very plasticy and I think if you had an alternative surface to lay a baby on you would probably want to, but the beauty of this kit is really for emergencies. I'm going to keep a couple in the glovebox of both cars, but I don't envisage buying them for every day use not least of all because of the price. Personally I have a reusable fabric wallet which I fill with one nappy (of changing size as baby grows) a small sample tube of cream and a 3/4 used packet of baby wipes (slimmer than a full one) which does me fine.

This grab bag is very clever and will definitely have its uses, but I think they will be occasional rather than regular.

Nanshy MARVEL 4 in 1 Mint Green Beauty Blender Makeup Blending Sponge
Nanshy MARVEL 4 in 1 Mint Green Beauty Blender Makeup Blending Sponge
Offered by BeautyStore4U

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality firm make-up sponge, 12 Aug. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Beautifully packaged in a very expensive looking box, the Nanshy is a luxury "4 in 1" make-up sponge in a rather odd shape! I normally use flat make-up sponges and was intrigued to try this one. It takes a bit of getting used to, but feels comfortable in the hand and fits the contours of the face (particularly around the eyes) in a very intuitive manner. The sponge is firm and unlike some cheaper ones I've bought hasn't begun to deteriorate and shed small bits after a few weeks of use. The "4 in 1" aspect of the design seems to refer to the different surfaces of the sponge, the rounded, flat, waist and precision tip. I think my make-up routine is really to simple to fully appreciate the many clever things it can do, but I liked it anyway!

Philips HR1868/81 Avance Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2.5 Litre, 700 Watt - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Very easy to clean!, 22 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I used to own a Magimix juicer and it was such an enormous pain to clean that I eventually gave it away on Freecycle. However I was curious if other brands of juicers were any better and as Philips is apparently the market leader I decided to give this one a go. So the good news, it is in a completely different league to the Magimix. Very easy to assemble and take apart and a doddle to clean. The inside parts seem to be coated in some kind of Teflon-ish covering which means the fruit residues just slide off. The grater part is of course more tricky, but much easier to clean than the equivalent part on the Magimix.

The instructions that came with it are the usual infuriating international picture instructions which are not entirely helpful and did cause problems when I first set the machine up as (1) The instructions are for more than one model, with only a small picture of the machine to guide you as to which set of instructions to read and (2) Because the final part of assembly requires you to VERY firmly click the handle of the machine into place before you can turn it on. I had thought mine was clicked in sufficiently and couldn't get the machine to switch on, so very nearly returned it. (3) It's unclear whether you are supposed to remove the pulp from the machine before doing the quick clean as the pictures are ambiguous.

On the subject of the quick clean option (where you can clean the machine with it still assembled) I found this was at little pointless as you need to use it with the supplied jug (otherwise the water goes everywhere) and the jug is most likely to be full of the juice you just made. Also this option doesn't clean the machine thoroughly enough, still leaving residue on the grater.

It is undeniably noisy (and yes it does sound like something from a commercial juice bar!) and doesn't ft under counter tops, however I am much happier with this machine than I ever was with my Magimix and my three year-old son loves getting involved with the juicing and drinking the results.

Philips QT4013/23 Series 3000 Beard Trimmer
Philips QT4013/23 Series 3000 Beard Trimmer

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just a beard trimmer...apparently, 21 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As an Amazon Vine reviewer I occasionally have to call in help from other members of my family to review things. For instance I no longer require the use of nappies myself, but I have young children who do and fortunately my facial hair is not so vigorous in its growth that I need a beard trimmer. My father however does possess some fine facial hair and he promised to give this shaver a thorough testing on my behalf and report back. Honestly I should have known better than to trust him. The final line of his review may well leave me traumatised for many years, but who knew it was multi-purpose?

The trimmer is nice and light and easy to use.The cut height adjustment is particularly easy to adjust but once set how often do you meed to adjust it, unless you share? It is annoying that it has a 13 amp charger plug which means that it cannot be plugged in to charge in the bathroom, having said that the long battery life means that this is not a frequent event and you could take it on holiday without the charger. There is also a light which indicates when the unit is fully charged which some other makes do not have. At the end of the day it gives a good cut which is what it is all about.
PS good for pubic hair too

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20