Profile for M.I > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Ravensburger Empire State Building 3D Puzzle
Ravensburger Empire State Building 3D Puzzle

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 9 Oct 2013
Pieces are fiddly, hard to bend in and keep them held together, very easy to break. Started making this, we were stuck on the base for over 2 hours trying to get the base to hold together. Very unhappy.

EDIT: Item ended up in the bin. Please do not buy this, you will be wasting your money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 12:34 PM GMT

Philips Viva Collection HR1617/01 Metal Bar Hand Blender, White/Lilac
Philips Viva Collection HR1617/01 Metal Bar Hand Blender, White/Lilac

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - if yours overheats, leave it alone for 30 mins..., 25 Sep 2013
Purchased for chopping and pulsing primarily. Comes in very handy as it's quick and easy. Have chopped veggies quickly and pulsed ingredients to make up burgers/meatballs/sauces.

The unit did stop working while pulsing but, reading on the Phillips website, there is an overheat cut-off inside the unit that should activate if the unit is over-working. The advice is to leave the unit alone for 15 mins, I left it alone for 30 mins (as it still felt warm to touch after 15 mins), replaced the fuse in the plug as a precaution and it's working fine again.

Canon LEGRIA FS46 Camcorder - Black (37x Optical Zoom, 2.7 inch Widescreen LCD)
Canon LEGRIA FS46 Camcorder - Black (37x Optical Zoom, 2.7 inch Widescreen LCD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect family camcorder, 29 May 2013
Pros: Small physical size, pocketable, small file sizes, long battery life, 8GB internal memory
Cons: Standard definition recording only

I purchased this camcorder a year or so ago for family videos of my nieces growing up. I was weighing up whether to sell it on and purchase a newer HD camcorder but decided against this in consideration of a number of variables (which I've listed above). Just over a year's worth of family video clips came to about 6 and a half gig storage on my computer and I was able to output it onto DVD with ease (hooked up television to camcorder, played camcorder through television, recorded picture onto my DVD recorder).

The deal-breaker is that a HD camcorder will need to down-convert its image in order to be outputted to a convenient transferable format (i.e. DVD). A down-converted HD image, I imagine, would provide a better standard definition image but then it isn't true HD. Most of the videos of myself growing up have been on VHS, beyond that it was Mini-DV, the video quality of this camera is nowhere near the quality of HD but its good enough for family videos (in my opinion).

If you're looking to make professional films (i.e. short films, corporate films, shorts for the web, coverage of paid events) and/or have edit facilities, definitely look at some of the higher-end HD models. If you're looking to film your kids being silly and having a good time, I think this does the job perfectly!

(additional note, there's different modes of recording, mine is set to the highest - XP, 9Mbps, by comparison a HD Legria records at 12Mbps in XP mode up to 24Mbps in its highest quality mode - considerations would be file size, storage of that file and output options of the file)

The Royle Family: Barbara's Old Ring [DVD]
The Royle Family: Barbara's Old Ring [DVD]
Dvd ~ Caroline Aherne

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Christmas special, 27 Dec 2012
It is what it is, a Christmas special, sometimes a little too silly for its own good but it was entertaining and made for great Christmas Day television viewing. The series and the specials are completely different in my view. Funny to read the negative reviews on here though, from the short-sighted to the bitter and attention-seeking. Clearly some Scrooges didn't have a good Christmas, too busy salivating over each other's negative comments of a special they clearly love to hate.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2012 7:26 PM GMT

Pest Patrol Mini Rat Cage
Pest Patrol Mini Rat Cage

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly for mice, 20 Oct 2012
Just caught our first baby mouse, without a mouse-trap. It's a really simple device, highly recommended. The down-side in other reviews has been noted as setting the bait is a bit tricky. I asked for help from another person who held the trap open whilst I set it, took a few seconds and it's worked, now need to take a short drive with said mouse and set it free.

Garmin Nuvi 1440 Satellite Navigation System with 5 Inch Screen and European Maps

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 30 Jun 2012
I'm surprised by the many positive reviews. I really wish I hadn't purchased mine but it's a lot of money to spend and sadly I just have to lump it. I agree with one of the more fairer reviews on here of getting to know this GPS's quirks but really I've sworn too many times at it and almost lobbed it out of the car window in frustration. It's really poor.

First and foremost is it is not intuitive. If you're coming up to traffic or want to try a different route, you can "detour", but the detour isn't an alternative route. On my old TomTom, you'd find an alternative route (one of several) and stick to that. With the Garmin, it detours, then puts you back on the original route. Annoying if you want to find an alternative (and stick with that alternative).

Sometimes the navigation isn't clear as to which road/exit to take (something I didn't have a problem with on my TomTom).

UPDATE: Going back to what I said about the unit not being intuitive, I tried to drive from Manchester to Cardiff and the unit wouldn't recognise the postcode! I looked through the settings, tried to work it out, then found the change country button on the navigation screen. CHANGE COUNTRY BUTTON! I needed to change from England to Wales to drive to Cardiff. It should've recognised the postcode in the UK. Another design quirk that once you understand it, it's ok.

On the plus side, the graphics are nice. The voice is good, the photo junctions are a nice touch and the web updates are good.

I started with a TomTom, continued with a TomTom, then fancied a punt. I wish I hadn't and I don't recommend it.

Acase(TM) iPhone 4 and 4S Superleggera PRO Dual Layer Protection (Black/Black) case (Fits iPhone 4 and 4S)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 May 2012
I needed a case that would protect my iPhone's back but still give me full access to the front screen, this works brilliantly. The case comes with plastic protector covers for the headphone and charging sockets. It feels good to handle and is the case I've been looking for (and I've been looking through a lot).

Highly recommended!

BT Call Reminder
BT Call Reminder

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 17 May 2012
This review is from: BT Call Reminder (Electronics)
We have a BT line and we keep getting cold calls. As long as you make (I believe two) outbound calls per month caller display is a free service from BT.

I can see the number dialing in to our old phone without having to replace and modernise the handset.

Perfect!

InterDesign Axis Over the Door 5 Hook, Chrome
InterDesign Axis Over the Door 5 Hook, Chrome

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 13 April 2012
Purchased for newly-installed bedroom doors. Perfect fit for 3.5cm thick doors but you have to check your doorframe to see if the hooks will fit when the door's shut.

A lot of cheaper options out there but for thicker doors.

Felt like a good quality product, is study and looks smart.

Only compaint is the excessive packaging it got sent out in. A bit of bubble-wrap would be fine but ended up with a very long stream of packing paper.

Mattel T2332-0, Barbie, Barbie and Glam Bike
Mattel T2332-0, Barbie, Barbie and Glam Bike

1.0 out of 5 stars Something to display not to play with, 30 Dec 2011
Like the reviews from Amazon.com point out, it's a very poor toy. It's very flimsy and some bright spark figured it would be a good idea to place three plastic holding plugs into the back of Barbie's head (which you need to yank out with pliers). This was purchased for my niece who loves Barbie. The toy falls apart very easily unfortunately but it does make a nice model to place (carefully) onto a child's cupboard or shelves.

Alternatively you can bin the bike and just play with the doll but somehow I don't think that's the point. Better to save your cash I think!

Page: 1 | 2