Profile for Dylan Lancaster > Reviews

Content by Dylan Lancaster

Dylan Lancaster "ninasspacechild" (Manchester, England)

Stockport To Memphis
Stockport To Memphis

5.0 out of 5 stars A musical journey from the musical roots of Northern Soul through jazz, rhythm and blues, gospel, folk and everything in-between, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Stockport To Memphis (Audio CD)
Man in the Long Black Coat

Barb Jungr has never been one to sit back on her laurels when it comes to making music. From the songbooks of Bob Dylan Man in the Long Black Coat for which she is most famously associated and through the works of Jacque Brel,Chanson The Space In Between Nina Simone Just Like a Woman (Hymn to Nina) and Elvis Presley Love Me Tender [Sacd/CD Hybrid] she has always been an artist who has pushed the boundaries and has remolded songs, stripped away the layers and given us the listeners something completely new and unique.

With Stockport To Memphis, possibly Barb Jungr's best work to date, she takes us on a musical journey from the clubs of Stockport and Manchester where she grew to love soul and through several gateposts of her life including the immigration of her parents from war torn Europe, her love of soul music and a musical journey to Memphis one of the American cities from where good soul originates.

On this record Barb not only re-imagines songs from the likes of Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell, Sam Cooke, Neil Young, Hank Williams, Rod Argent and Bob Dylan but half of the album is made up of songs Barb wrote along with Simon Wallace.
Standout tracks for me include:

Stockport To Memphis - a soul drenched number with all the elements of a Northern Soul classic that I can imagine being played in The Twisted Wheel and Wigan Casino.

New Life - where Barb chronicles the journey of her parents journey from Europe and her own musical journey on the road, tinged with jazz and an optimistic outlook.

Old Man - a reflective song which Barb has turned around and found a new meaning in altogether.

River - I think Barb outshines Joni Mitchell here where she makes the song not only reflective and a bit melancholy but she gospels it up and fills it full of longing and hope.

Fisherman's Blues - Barb allows her vocal to take centre stage on this one and is another track full of longing and wishes.

Way Down In The Hole - a Tom Waits song where the full extent of Barb's vocal techniques shine through and she turns it into a mysterious jazzy bluesy number.

Till My Broken Heart Begins To Mend - which is an old Jungr and Parker song which she has updated with percussion and harmonica and again allows her voice to shine.

Change Is Gonna Come - a song originally by Ray Charles which is rich with soul and meaning and very relevant today as much as it was when it was written.

All in all this album is a gem and deserves many repeated listens and to be a massive success in what is promising to be a milestone of a year for Barb Jungr.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 26, 2012 8:06 PM GMT

Sarah Millican Chatterbox (Live) [DVD] [2011]
Sarah Millican Chatterbox (Live) [DVD] [2011]
Dvd ~ Sarah Millican
Offered by SweetBuzzards

3.0 out of 5 stars Just Plain Rude, 16 Feb. 2012
Now I am no prude.

I like Sarah Millican and I think she is very witty and funny and has a good eye for the funny in society.

However I found myself cringing when I heard the foul language in this particular show. If it had been an 18 certificate I would have expected it but not in a 15. It's a shame because she is really good otherwise.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2012 12:08 PM BST

Feasting With Panthers
Feasting With Panthers
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars A Subtle Masterpiece, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Feasting With Panthers (Audio CD)
I love this latest offering from Marc Almond and Michael Cashmore of the poetry of Jean Genet, Jean Cocteau, Jeremy Reed and others set to the music of Michael - who also plays all the instruments with Marc singing and storeytelling. I think the subject matter is dark but beautiful and in one or two places perfectly describes how I feel a lot of the time. A piece to be llistened to as a whole I think and I hope they do more work together in the future.

Les Misérables Live! Dream the Dream 2010 Cast Album (25th Anniversary)
Les Misérables Live! Dream the Dream 2010 Cast Album (25th Anniversary)

5.0 out of 5 stars Les Mis Comes On Leaps and Bounds, 11 Aug. 2010
I saw the new production of Les Miserables at the Lowry in Salford last night where I picked up the CD and also saw it in March. The original production I have also seen in Manchester, London and New York.
I have had the original CD for many years and have loved it. However it was recorded before changes were made to the show and some parts are missing while others are included that are no longer in the show.
This CD however is for me the definitive version. It was recorded live in Manchester earlier this year (an added bonus) and the performances throughout are very strong particularly from Eponine, Jean Valjean, Javert and Enjolras.
The orchestrations are very different, much bigger sounding and the timing is different which adds to improve the show. The photos in the booklet give a good impression of how the new show looks and comments are included from various people involved with Les Mis over the years.

Sunshine After The Rain: The Collection
Sunshine After The Rain: The Collection

4.0 out of 5 stars All The Classics Together, 3 Mar. 2010
Elkie Brooks is one of the best soul and blues artists we have in this country.

This is a collection that spans Elkie's career from 1964 up to the present day and is worth having for many reasons but the main one for me is that the material Elkie recorded in the 1960s has finally been released - having previously available on a fan club only LP some years ago.

Listening to those recordings it is very clear to hear Elkie's soul and blues influences shining through, particularly her affinity with Etta James on Something's Got A Hold On Me.

It's also great to have some other 70s and 80s album tracks that have not previously made it to CD available here, along with all the classics.

It's fantastic too to have some of the Vinegar Joe tracks included in an Elkie compilation.

I missed a star because I would have liked something from the Bookbinders Kid and Inspiration albums included and perhaps Circles which I think include some of Elkie's best material.

Overall though a great CD to celebrate Elkie's 50 years as a singer/songwriter and performer.

Love Me Tender [Sacd/CD Hybrid]
Love Me Tender [Sacd/CD Hybrid]

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting, 26 Feb. 2009
I am listening to this album after a break of a few months and had almost forgotten what a masterpiece it is.
I have never been a fan of Elvis Presley but am a massive fan of Barb Jungr.
As other reviewers have said much better than I can, she turned these songs completley around and sings from her soul deep inside.
In addition to this the instrumentation and soundscapes arranged by barb, Adrian York and Jonathan Cooper create their own picture and reach deep inside the listener.
Favourite track? Tomorrow is a Long Time.
A gem.
My favoure

At Les Mouches: Live
At Les Mouches: Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Divinely Brilliant, 10 Jan. 2009
This review is from: At Les Mouches: Live (Audio CD)
I bought this CD out of curiosity, having never really listened to Patti Lupone before other than as Mrs. Lovett in Sweeney Todd (being a Sondheim fan). What I have missed. Patti Lupone shows everyone else how it is done on this recording, particularly on the songs Mr.Tambourine Man which she turns on it's head and reworks it and it's meaning so it sounds as if it is a lament full of heartbreak (she should revisit the Bob Dylan songbook I think she could do wonders with it) and Medowlark which is just beautiful.

What I can't understand is why she isn't a massive Icon in the UK as she obviously is in America.

I'm a fan now.

Verve Remixed 4
Verve Remixed 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 7 Aug. 2008
This review is from: Verve Remixed 4 (Audio CD)
I first became interesed in the Verve Remixed collections a few years ago when I noticed the Nina Simone remixes on the first volume. I'm a big Nina Simone fan so bought the CD to see how her songs sounded remixed. I was very impressed and the collection of the first three CDs introduced me to a lot of artists I hadn't paid much attention to before.
This fourth collection is sublime, especially the closing remix of Ella's "I Get A Kick Out Of You". A lot of latin american rhythms feature on this collection so it is perfect for long summer evenings.
I only wish the club goers of Manchester where I live would wake up to these collections and request them in the clubs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2009 5:54 PM BST

Just Like a Woman (Hymn to Nina)
Just Like a Woman (Hymn to Nina)
Offered by millersonlinestore

5.0 out of 5 stars Rousing, Exultant and Discreet Jazz with a hint of Gospel, Folk and R&B, 11 Mar. 2008
This review is written by a major Nina Simone fan ( I had the pleasure of attending two concerts) and a major Barb Jungr fan. Both bring their own individuality and artistry to their craft.

Break Down and Let It All Out has always been one of my favourite Nina Simone tracks and I think the way Barb deepens her voice and changes the pace of the song gives it extra depth. Sublime to listen to.

The reggae of Just Like A Woman surprised me at first. I think it gives the song a feeling of strength and defiance that many singers who covered it missed. I think it would make a great single release.

Lilac Wine is very haunting. The sound of the ticking clock makes me feel the passing of time. It's a very cinematic song. Jessica Lauren's playing adds to the effect. It has been very refreshing to hear the song done this way.

The Times They Are A Changin'. I like the beat and speed of this. It was probably the first Dylan song my mum played for me so it's always been special. And it is very relevant to today I feel. Shows the prophet in Dylan. The sax too I like.

Angel Of The Morning has been a favourite song of mine for many years, though here it is like I heard it for the first time. Barb turns it into a Chanson and it sounds as if it was meant to be performed this way. So lonesome. I had never really fully comprehended the lyrics until I heard this interpretation. Love it. And Jessica's harmonica playing is just perfect.

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. I am also a big fan of The Animals so was really that this was included. And of course Nina was very often misunderstood in her life.

Keeper Of The Flame. The arrangement reminded me of something from the Chanson's album. I can't remember what now. I think the piano is similar to something on there. I really like this one. Even those of us who are loved hold a secret little flame for someone I think.

To Love Somebody. I first heard Bonnie Tyler sing this when I was 14 or 15 and loved it then, though my musical tastes have matured I hope since then. Still love her though. And Barb's version really swings. Impossible not to sing along to. Again, I really like the sax on this one and the key change after the sax solo.

One Morning In May/The Pusher. Barb has picked two very obscure tracks here. Both songs only really became known in the past couple of years or so with the re releases of "Folksy Nina" and "It Is Finished" on CD. I like very much how the songs have been reworked and rearranged and the steady beat of the drum through this.

Hollis Brown. What a great song this is. Nina changed her style quite dramatically when she sang this. I like the way this has been slowed down and turned it into more of a bluesy sounding piece. This one is almost classical sounding too. Very hypnotic. .

Feeling Good. This has a very modern and almost punky defiance to it. And as Eric Blair said in his review a bursting joyfullness of life and living.

Walking in the Sun
Walking in the Sun
Offered by FastMedia "Ships From USA"

5.0 out of 5 stars Walking In The Sun With Barb Jungr, 21 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Walking in the Sun (Audio CD)
You know those late English Summer days, right at the end of September, when there is a hint of autumn in the air, the last of the bees buzzing around the last of the poppy flowers and the warmth of the sun on your face, arms and back? That is what this album is like. A little disc of delights from start to finish.

Barb Jungr has picked some of her most loved classic blues and gospel songs for this collection as well as songs by herself, Michael Parker Randy Newman, Jimmy Cliff and Carole King. She is backed by excellent musicians and arrangements, notably jazz pianist Jenny Carr and keyboardist and percussionist extraordinaire Jessica Lauren.

Highlights for this reviewer are Trouble In Mind, Beautiful Life, Walking In The Sun, Drink Me Up, Rainy Day, Take Out Some Insurance, and Run On For A Long Time/God's Song which has a lot to say about our world today.

A life affirming album that makes you think and feel and even dance.

If you have heard Barb Jungr before, you will not be disappointed by her latest project. If you haven't, buy this and I can guarantee to you that you will adore this album and will be researching her back catalogue very soon.

A good mix of gospel, blues, up-tempo jazz and a bit of folk that anyone who loves music will be smitten by.