Profile for Steve D > Reviews

Content by Steve D

Steve D (London, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Red Country (First Law World 3)
Red Country (First Law World 3)
by Joe Abercrombie BA

5.0 out of 5 stars Red Country, 18 Nov 2013
I've been wanting to read this book for over a year, patiently waiting for it to arrive in paperback. It got to the point where I considered the Kindle version, but his books have these wonderfully tactile covers that I feel like it would be a crime to not read the physical book. So I've waited and waited. And for the third book in succession Joe Abercrombie has entertained, thrilled and enthralled me from the first page to the last.

Where Best Served Cold was his version of a revenge thriller, and The Heroes his war story, Red Country is his - I have to say - loving tribute to the Western. The story starts as Shy South and her surrogate father, Lamb, return to their farm after a trip to the town of Squaredeal to sell their produce, only to find their home razed to the ground, old farmhand Gully hanging from a tree, and her young brother and sister gone. Shocked, scared and furious, they set off in pursuit, off into the west where the gold rush beckons and people head to make new lives despite the constant threat from the savage Ghosts.

I think it's probably fair to say that unless you're a fan of Hollywood's once-dominant film genre, Red Country might not have the same effect on you as it has had on me. The atmosphere and knowing nods to Western movies from the 40s through to the 70s and onward positively drip from the pages. So many of the cliches of that genre are taken here by Abercrombie, turned inside out and plonked down in his fantasy world. From the wagon trains being circled to hold off an attack by axe and bow wielding natives, to stampedes, to the siege as two outlaws try to hold off an army, to the shoot out in a dusty street, it's all here and more. The influences are many, the most obvious being John Ford's magnificent The Searchers, some hints of Rio Bravo and The Wild Bunch, a dash of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, a sprinkling of Eastwood's 'Man With No Name', and a whole heap of the brilliant HBO tv show Deadwood - it's a positive treasure trove of iconic moments.

As usual, he doesn't skimp on the characters either, and he has a particularly strong bunch here, all of whom are trying to escape their murky pasts in one way or another. From Shy and Lamb through Temple and Cosca and on to the ageing scout Dab Sweet and the mysterious Savian, he eeks out detail and relationships with that rare and assured touch that has become so apparent in his writing. Nervous ticks or monosyllabic answers are capable of conveying everything a character is feeling. Possibly my favourite relationship in the book was that between Lamb and Savian - and they barely say a word to each other! Beyond that, the dialogue is just about perfect, so much so that you can almost hear it drawling from the lips of John Wayne or Gary Cooper or Clint Eastwood, and it is so funny at times - laugh out loud kind of funny. Plus he writes some of the best action scenes: the ones in this book took my breath away at times, they are so exciting, and terrifying, too. The scene during the storm is so vivid. Real 'big screen' writing, if you like.

I thought the pacing was just about spot on. I never once felt that it was dragging, and even had to force myself to slow down and drink it all in, because I didn't want it to finish too soon. As I turned the last page and read the final paragraphs it was with the goosebumps you get when you feel that something is just *right*.

In the end, though, one question did arise: if Joe could capture the Western vibe so perfectly in a fantasy setting, why not just write a Western? Suddenly, characters from his previous books were speaking in the aforementioned Western drawl - something which they didn't have prior to now - and it was impossible not to imagine them all wearing Stetsons and packing six-shooters (there are no guns in Joe's First Law world, yet he somehow still manages to give that impression). I also have to wonder if anyone who's never enjoyed the Western genre will see what all my fuss is about.

For me, though, Red Country is an absolute joy. At the moment Joe Abercrombie can do no wrong in my books. He may lack Erikson's inventiveness or Martin's publicity, but he is a damn fine teller of stories. I believe he's working on a Young Adult trilogy next. I can't wait.

`What are you going to do?' whispered Temple.
`There was a time I'd have gone charging over there without a thought for the costs and got bloody.' Lamb lifted the glass and looked at it for a moment. `But my father always said patience is the king of virtues. A man has to be realistic. Has to be.'
`So what are you going to do?'
`Wait. Think. Prepare.' Lamb swallowed the last measure and bared his teeth at the glass. `Then get bloody.'

Desolation Island: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 5
Desolation Island: Aubrey/Maturin series, book 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Desolation Island, 23 Oct 2013
This is the fifth of O'Brian's books in his 'Aubrey/Maturin' series. In this one, Captain Jack Aubrey is delighted to have been awarded command of the Leopard, with a mission bound for Australia. What he doesn't know, at first, is that he is to transport a hold full of convicts, something which infuriates him as a navy man. But his friend Stephen Maturin, ship's surgeon and spy, twists his arm before he can reject the commission. Maturin has his own reasons, for amongst the convicts is a woman who has been charged with espionage on behalf of the Americans, and Britain and America are on the verge of war.

I'm starting to find O'Brian's books to be the perfect remedy when I feel in need of a complete change of pace. I read a fair amount of historical fiction, I suppose, but - apart from Hilary Mantel - I'm finding his writing more immersive than any other in its evocation of a time and place, its grasp of character, and dialogue that just seems right. It doesn't mean that I suddenly have a grasp of all the nautical terms, though - I still struggle with those, but I'm less concerned with it now, and don't find myself stopping reading to find out what it all means.

Desolation Island has some thrilling moments (especially one prolonged sequence where the Leopard is fleeing from a Dutch Man of War in the midst of a ferocious storm), some great surprises, several laugh out loud moments, and a brilliant ending.

Loved it.

Logitech UE 900 Noise Isolating Earphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Logitech UE 900 Noise Isolating Earphones (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Iphdstaff

5.0 out of 5 stars Logitech UE 900 Earphones, 9 Oct 2013
I had been using UE Triple-fi 10s for over five years when, finally, the sound started to go from one channel (and a replacement cable made no difference). Having had such reliable service from the TF10s (when I had previously gone through two pairs of Shures in less than three years) I knew that I wanted to stick with UE, and I really wanted the 900s, but I was put off by the price. I did lots of research into other brands and nearly drove myself crazy trying to decide but, in the end, I knew the indecision was being caused by the fact that I really wanted these.

I'm happy to report that since I received them any misgivings I had about the price have become non-existent. These are fabulous earphones. I have spent the last few days working through my music collection, hearing detail in the songs that I either hadn't noticed before, or hadn't heard in so long that I'd forgotten about them. The sound is crisp, bass punchy, and I have really noticed how well the vocals come through. The soundstage is spacious and really gives the music room to breathe. I was fortunate in that the silicon tips that were on the earphones out of the box are a perfect fit. I briefly tried the Comply tips and another pair of the silicons, but immediately went back to the original ones. The sound isolation is very good indeed, better than the TF10s I find, although I have had to stop myself using them whilst walking along the street as, even with the volume right down, I found I wasn't as aware of my surroundings as I should be. On the tube, though, they are fantastic.

So, excellent earphones. But what I really want to note is Logitech's customer support. The UE 900's come with the blue (mic) cable attached and I was blown away immediately using them as was. But I decided to switch to the black (audio) cable just to check everything was working and immediately noticed a slight bias in the sound towards the left channel. I spent a couple more days listening to this to see if it was my imagination, switched back to the blue cable and found that it wasn't. I contacted Logitech by email and asked them if they had any possible solution, and received a reply within a few hours saying they would send me a new cable without further question. I was very pleased with this - although at this price it is the least you should expect.

Obviously, I can't judge long-term durability as yet, but I would hope that they will last at least as long as the Triple-fi 10s. I will edit my review at a later date should this prove not to be the case.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 23, 2014 5:50 PM BST

The Black Dahlia
The Black Dahlia
by James Ellroy

4.0 out of 5 stars The Black Dahlia, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Black Dahlia (Paperback)
This, the first book in Ellroy's 'LA Quartet', is a work fiction based around true events: the horrific murder of Elizabeth Short in Los Angeles in 1947. The story itself covers the period 1946 to 1949, and is about LA cop Dwight Bleichert and his partner Lee Blanchard, two ex-boxers who become obsessed with the investigation for quite different reasons. I don't know much about the real-life case, apart from the fact that it was every bit as gruesome as Ellroy describes it herein. There's a lot of detail of Bleichert and Blanchard's investigation, naturally, but how much of it holds true to the real investigation I don't know - not a great deal, I suspect, else Ellroy's story would be quite different.

What I can say for sure is that The Black Dahlia is not for the faint-hearted or easily offended. Quite apart from the murder itself - and in typical Ellroy style - he paints a disturbing picture of LA in the 40s, and the people who inhabit it. Racism, sexism, in fact every kind of bigotry you can imagine, is exhibited by the characters, some of the cops being the worst examples. Corruption is rife, from the ruthlessly ambitious wannabe-district attorney Ellis Loew downwards. The cops will stop at nothing to get a conviction, even if it means withholding or even faking evidence. You suspect that Ellroy has an axe to grind, given his own mother's murder (I haven't read his book about this, called My Dark Places).

This is nothing new if you've read Ellroy before, so I knew what to expect. It's tough to look beyond the depravity but, if you can, you find a warts-and-all portrayal of police procedure coupled with visceral characterisation. Hard-boiled does not even begin to describe it. It's difficult to say I enjoyed a book this full-on, but I did find it extremely compelling, stark, and unsettling - as I have done with his other books that I have read. Ellroy is a brilliant, brilliant writer. I just wouldn't want to meet these people in real life.

Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2)
Prophecy (Giordano Bruno 2)
by S. J. Parris

2.0 out of 5 stars Prophecy, 9 Oct 2013
I've been sitting here for about ten minutes trying to think what to write Suffice to say, reading another Tudor period book straight after Bring Up the Bodies was probably not such a great idea And Prophecy is not such a great book - it's not awful, either, it's just rather average.

I've read a fair number of historical murder/mystery/thrillers and I am quite a fan of the sub-genre. I read S. J. Parris's first 'Giordano Bruno' novel, Heresy, a few months ago and pretty much all of my issues with that book are repeated here, apart from one notable one: Giordano Bruno himself. Okay, so he was a real person, but - in this book - he is one of the most incompetent and ineffective agents you can imagine. He stumbles about from one dangerous situation to another, is handed clues on a plate (rather than by actual investigation), allows vital evidence and even suspects to escape, for no better reason than because the book would be much shorter if he didn't do so. For almost the whole book he worries that he is being followed, so every time he goes outside Parris repeats his feelings of being watched. And yet, despite this feeling he has, he still ducks into dark alleys. Hmm, I wonder what's going to happen. D'oh! It gets tiresome very quickly. And he is a worryingly two-dimensional character. There is no hint of humour or depth about him. His internal monologues are also repetitive; he worries about this, he worries about that, then a few pages later he worries about them all over again.

It's not that I think S. J. Parris (or, to give her her real name, Stephanie Jane Merritt) is a poor writer (she's doing a damned sight better than me at it, after all!), but I didn't feel there was any verve or style to the writing, the sort of turn of phrase or characterisation or excitement that picks you up and sweeps you along for the ride. Unlike the first book, and very much like Hilary Mantel, she decided to write this one in the present tense. It should, in theory, provide a lot of momentum, driving the story forward. However, instead of conveying the sense of time and place through character and action, she does it through page after page of monotonous description. The book frequently gets bogged down in this mire, which is a shame, and it failed to excite me on any level because any sense of tension flies out of the window.

I think I probably read this at completely the wrong time, straight after such a masterpiece, but I looked back at my comments on Heresy and realised that nothing had changed. You would, perhaps, expect there to be an improvement and evolution in both the characters and writing between the first and second books but I didn't really get that feeling. I did like that it was set in London this time, though.

Bring Up the Bodies
Bring Up the Bodies
by Hilary Mantel

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring Up the Bodies, 9 Oct 2013
This review is from: Bring Up the Bodies (Paperback)
Considering its predecessor was called Wolf Hall (the family home of the Seymours), it is not until the start of this sequel that we are actually taken there. Picking up a couple of months after the climax of the first book, which chronicled the rise of both Anne Boleyn and Thomas Cromwell, we now come to Anne's downfall, whilst Cromwell appears like a man riding the crest of a wave, the surfboard bucking beneath his feet, one misstep threatening to tumble him into the jaws of the waiting sharks. He's made a lot of enemies, Cromwell, in his climb to become Henry's chief minister and advisor. Anne, meanwhile, three years as queen, has failed to provide a son and heir to the throne and - as rumours begin to circulate of the King's deficiencies in the bedroom being to blame, and of Anne's infidelities - suddenly Henry's eyes come to rest on young Jane Seymour (who, at this stage, I am assuming was fresh from her role in Live and Let Die, and was far too young to have considered Doctor Quinn, Medicine Woman). Well, the writing is on the wall, isn't it? And, of course, it falls to Cromwell once again to facilitate the King's desires, knowing well enough the treacherous waters into which they will take him.

I suppose, in the wrong hands, telling a story to which everyone knows the outcome could be something of a poisoned chalice, a turgid drudge to a predictable conclusion. In the right hands, though, knowing what the outcome will be can lead to heightened tension: you know what's going to happen but you are so involved that you can only look on, helpless, as the characters fulfil their roles in the tragedy. Mantel's are most definitely the right hands. Perhaps her cleverest, neatest and best trick is to relate the events in the present tense. In doing so, she got me right inside Cromwell's head, seeing this vivid, dangerous world through his eyes. Much as he seems to be riding that wave, I felt as if I was riding his thoughts, watching him cajole and manipulate and fight for every inch of ground he could gain.

I know some people struggled with Wolf Hall but, for me, Mantel's prose is immaculate. It demands concentration, for sure (a slight distraction can lead to having to re-read a paragraph or page to grab back the thrust of a thought or scene), but it carried me from conversation to memory, flitting with Cromwell's thoughts to another half-formed memory, but always brought me back to the crux of the matter, the point of the scene. It is also riddled with caustic wit and profound observation. I frequently laughed out loud as I read: Cromwell is the master of the put-down, even if he internalises it. One such moment that stuck in my mind occurred early on, when Cromwell is visited by an enemy, the Bishop of Winchester, Stephen Gardiner:

----

'In practice, Stephen, upwards, downwards -- it hardly matters. "Where the word of a king is, there is power, and who may say to him, what doest thou?"'

'Henry is not a tyrant,' Gardiner says stiffly. 'I rebut any notion that his regime is not lawfully grounded. If I were king, I would wish my authority to be legitimate wholly, to be respected universally and, if questioned, stoutly defended. Would not you?'

'If I were king . . . '

He was going to say, if I were king I'd defenestrate you. Gardiner says, 'Why are you looking out of the window?'

----

Mantel's style is not the most descriptive - you'll rarely find detailed descriptions of rooms, buildings, attire etc - and yet the time and place seems to come alive through her words. The characterisation is pin-sharp, if seen through a Cromwell-tinted lens. Everything is seen through his eyes and, whether or not he agrees with him, he will do what he has to do to meet the needs of his King. You fear for him at the same time as standing agog at the audacity of the actions he takes.

Bring Up the Bodies is a triumph from the first page to the last, in my opinion. For me to read a book that contains literally not one piece of action, and yet to come away thinking that the pacing was phenomenal, never dragging for an instant, shows to me just how good a writer she is. It is completely absorbing, immersive, exciting and scary.

It is far and away the best book I've read so far this year.

Heroes Die: The Acts of Caine: Book 1
Heroes Die: The Acts of Caine: Book 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Heroes Die, 9 Oct 2013
I tried to read this book last year but gave up on it after a couple of hundred pages, partly because I wasn't enjoying it so much, but mainly because the sequel was damn near impossible to get (unless I was to pay silly prices for a used copy). Now the entire series has been released for Kindle it is no longer an issue, so it seemed a good time to try again.

Heroes Die doesn't sound particularly original if you read the blurb. It is a hybrid of SF and fantasy, a tale of two Earths that are out of phase with each other. Our world, in the future, has become so technologically advanced that we are able to transport people to the other Earth, called Overworld, which has a pseudo-Medieval culture. Our future world and Medieval Overworld are painted in broad, fairly standard brushstrokes. Neither world really comes alive. So far, so ho-hum.

But it is then that the original slant comes in. The only people sent from our Earth to Overworld are Actors. Hari Michaelson is one such Actor, the most famous Actor around because of the exploits of his Overworld persona, Caine - and Caine has been responsible for some the biggest upheavals in Overworld society. He has, quite literally, changed the world, whether it be through assassinations, or leading uprisings. No Prime Directive here. The studio sends Hari/Caine into the midst of the events that they think will make them the biggest bucks, either through so-called First-Handers - who get to experience Caine's latest adventure as it happens, through his own eyes - or by selling cubes (DVDs, if you like) of the adventure after it has happened.

Caine is a mass of muscle and barely concealed fury, and his adventures on Overworld are violent in the extreme. He is a tool, a weapon that the studio uses to manipulate events for ultimate effect. In effect, Stover is presenting an allegory. Take a step back from the narrative and you can see him punching and kicking at present day forms of entertainment - movies, tv, video games - and the way in which modern society has become inured to its content. Caine's adventures are the futuristic equivalent of a blockbuster movie where people die in vast, gory numbers and nobody bats an eyelid.

I'm fairly used to violence in books, and I like a little darkness in my SF and fantasy novels, but I think the reason I didn't get along with this book first time around is because the violence seems all-encompassing. The book starts with a decapitation and snowballs from there. It is, at times, very unpleasant, downright nasty. The characters and their motivations are well conveyed, but it's really tough to like any of them. They are bitter, twisted, self-serving people and even though Caine's motivations in this story are somewhat noble, it doesn't prevent him from leaving a trail of blood and guts in his wake.

So you need a strong stomach for this book. It is not for the faint-hearted - it is fierce and uncompromising, well thought through, perhaps too long for its own good, has some of the best (but visceral) action scenes I've read, and possesses a central character who drives the story forward through sheer force of will. You could read this book and walk away not needing to read the rest. I found a lot to like, but it also made me feel very uncomfortable at times. I'm guessing that's what Stover was aiming for.

The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins 4) (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
The Cure of Souls (Merrily Watkins 4) (Merrily Watkins Mysteries)
by Phil Rickman

4.0 out of 5 stars The Cure of Souls, 9 Oct 2013
This is the fourth of Rickman's books about priest and Deliverance minister Merrily Watkins. And by 'Deliverance' it means that she deals with the apparent supernatural. On this occasion it's a mix of familiar elements: a spirit that refuses to leave a kiln where a brutal murder took place, and a young girl apparently possessed by evil. What Rickman is very good at doing is creating a sense of foreboding, and building a suitably convoluted tale in a small village where the nouveau riche are exerting their financial power over those who have lived in the area for generations. Add to this Romany gypsies and a hint of black magic and you get the general idea.

I'd say Rickman is an author who is consistently good without being consistently great. I think this is the sixth of his books that I have read, and they have all been intriguing and held my attention. I think all of them have been a little too long for the amount of story contained within, but his characters are very good (he has a real flair for dialogue) and the mysteries they become involved in are well-plotted with a fair amount of surprises thrown in.

This is proving to be a very reliable and enjoyable series.

Wasp (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
Wasp (S.F. MASTERWORKS)
by Eric Frank Russell

3.0 out of 5 stars Wasp, 9 Oct 2013
I knew nothing about this book until I noticed it a few months ago in the upcoming SF Masterworks releases for this year. Written in 1957, this is golden era SF, a relatively brief novel that is all about the 'Big Idea'. It may be set on another planet but it has WWII and the Cold War written all over it. Characterisation takes a back seat as Russell paints a picture of a society living in fear and being manipulated by the spreading of rumour and discord. In a very loose way, parts of it reminded me of the tone of Alone In Berlin, as the central protagonist, James Mowry, surreptitiously posts letters and leaves seditious stickers on shop windows, constantly living in fear of discovery.

The title of Wasp is illustrated right at the start of the story, as Mowry's new employer tells him of how a wasp killed four people and wrecked a car just by flying through a window and distracting the driver. This is what Mowry is expected to do in enemy territory, and soon word of a rebel movement is spreading across the planet, and security forces are rounding up supposed members. As I say, there isn't much in the way of characterisation, and the dialogue is functional, although the whole narrative is awash with a sly wit which is something I find is very indicative of golden era SF.

Perhaps the story's biggest success is the way in which it made me as a reader question my own sympathies. On several occasions, as I was worried for Mowry as he made a skin-of-his-teeth escape from Sirian police, I realised that I was effectively rooting for a terrorist. Apparently Neil Gaiman had optioned the movie rights to the novel but stopped work on the screenplay when 9/11 happened.

Leviathan Wakes: Book 1 of the Expanse
Leviathan Wakes: Book 1 of the Expanse

4.0 out of 5 stars Leviathan Wakes, 9 Oct 2013
Until I finished this book I didn't realise that James S.A. Corey is actually the pen name of fantasy author Daniel Abraham and Ty Frank, who is - apparently - George R. R. Martin's assistant (which kind of calls into question yet another Martin quote on the cover!). Daniel Abraham is an author whose fantasy series 'The Long Price' and 'The Dagger and the Coin' have been on my radar for a long time, but I just haven't taken the leap and bought any of his books yet. At least, not knowingly.

Leviathan Wakes starts with the mystery of a spaceship called The Scopuli. It has been hijacked and its crew taken prisoner. Juliette Mao fought back and, as a result, has been locked in a storage cupboard for days, whilst the hijackers do she knows not what.

Jim Holden is XO on the Canterbury, a freighter hauling ice from the rings of Saturn to the asteroid belt. When they stumble across The Scopuli his captain sends him and a small team to the ship to investigate. They find it damaged and empty. Whilst they are there, the Canterbury is attacked.

Detective Miller works for the security forces on the Ceres asteroid. Tensions are high. Earth and Mars hold an uneasy peace, and both look upon the Belt with contempt and suspicion. When he is given the task of finding a missing woman he is drawn inexorably into this fragile state of affairs. The woman is the daughter of one of the leading Earth families. Her name is Juliette Mao.

Leviathan Wakes is no-nonsense space opera. It combines science fiction with elements of horror, much like Peter F.Hamilton's 'Night's Dawn' trilogy. What suprised me about it - and one of the aspects I really liked - is that it all takes place within our own Solar System. Mankind has gone to the planets but not to the stars. The book tells its tale from the viewpoints of Holden and Miller (I'm guessing Abraham and Frank each wrote one of the characters . . . ) and keeps the cast admirably small. It means that there is room to develop the characters and I found the results very impressive. The story itself, for the most part, zips along equally impressively, and the action is well-handled, although I did feel that it slowed down a little too much towards the end.

Having said that, it does have an ending. It wraps up the main story of this book very well, whilst leaving enough questions unanswered, and opening up further avenues, to make me want to read the next book, Caliban's War. It's a cracking read in its own right, whilst also being a very good and promising start to the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12