Profile for Roberto Basura > Reviews

Justin Bieber Giant Character Eraser
Justin Bieber Giant Character Eraser
Offered by The Global Trader

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but you might need more than one, 4 Sept. 2014
Does the job, but if, like me, you have a big character (i.e. lots of personality, charisma and modesty) one of these will not be enough. 10cm may seem like a lot (especially if you are like 12 or 13) but with one of these I was only able to knock the corners of my huge character. I reckon I will need another dozen to finish the job. They also generate a lot of "crumbs", so I'd recommend adding some giant hankies to your order to brush them off with.

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit small and short on features, 17 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
I'd advise anyone thinking of purchasing this to wait. This model has been around for a few years now, and frankly, 20" is looking rather small these days. I wouldn't be surprised if a 24 or even 26" HD model is around the corner for the same price or even less, and when that happens this one will be heavily discounted. I was caught out like this when I bought a 19" Danny Dyer box canvas print a few years ago.

Other than that, my only criticism is that it is lacking in features. An extra nose or a third eye, for example, would be very nice.

Meddle
Meddle

5.0 out of 5 stars A saucerful of surprises, 2 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Meddle (Audio CD)
Pink Floyd presented a wide range of styles on this album which very much went against the conventions of the genre at the time. I think for this reason Meddle was controversial right from the beginning. I bought this in the Musicassette format when I was 15 (it was presented in a cardboard flip top pack, like a cigarette packet) after hearing "Fearless" on John Peel's BBC "Top Gear" radio show. That track gave little indication of what else was in store, but it was ultimately "Echoes" that prompted me to rebuy it later, in vinyl and finally this CD edition.

This reminds me that the two-sided format of vinyl (and cassette) is crucial to the way this album is paced. San Tropez and Seamus, both stylistically odd for Floyd, were the last two tracks on one side, and if you didn't like them, especially Seamus (and I don't like either of the two) you could take the needle of the record and flip it over. In CD format having these two tracks in the middle is understandably annoying.

I would still have bought this for Echoes alone, though. What I really like about this track is the sense of going on a journey through an imaginary landscape. At first I imagined a night train journey through some kind of alien desert (there are very trainlike rhythms at one point) with the guitar near the end sounding like a sunrise. Ultimately, though, I guess it's an undersea voyage, as announced by the sonar ping-like opening (however the sound was achieved!) and the faux whale-song with seagulls section later (this was long before the whale song sound became a newage cliché).

I think it's fair to say that you never know what to expect from one Pink Floyd album to the next, and that was never more true than with Meddle.

Making Sense of Japanese
Making Sense of Japanese
by Jay Rubin

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading, 20 Mar. 2006
No serious study of Japanese as a second language is complete without at least a passing familiarity with this short work. The style is anecdotal and humourous, not to mention modest, but don't let that fool you as to the seriousness of the scholarship that underpins it. The editors at Kodansha are no fools and recognise a classic when they see it.
I believe it to be worth the price for the discussion of the author's (massively illuminating to my poor mind) concept of the "zero pronoun" and its effect on the perennial problem of "wa" and "ga" alone. I can't think of any single work that has furthered my understanding of Japanese sentence structure more than this book. And on top of that, you could almost consider it to be the Japanese language study equivalent of "Chicken Soup For The Soul" (yes, I keep my copy in the bathroom). It may be a short work, but it's immensely re-readable - like those chicken bones, there always seems to be a little more goodness to be gotten out it.
I agree it's not for everyone, and it is to some extent academically controversial, but I think only the most rigid and conventional thinker could fail to gain something valuable from it.

The War Of The Flowers
The War Of The Flowers
by Tad Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars No Flower Power, 12 July 2004
This review is from: The War Of The Flowers (Paperback)
I have a high regard for Tad Williams both as a writer, and from what I can gather about him, as a person. The world and characters of The Dragonbone Chair are so skillfully drawn that they conjure up that yearning to be there that C S Lewis talked about and achieved with the Narnia chronicles, and of course which Tolkien stirs up with Middle Earth. I don't get that often with fantasy these days, but it's unmistakable when you come across it, and Williams is capable of it. Similarly his science-fictional Otherland trilogy was an epic of multiple virtual-world making, with the characters to do it justice.
The War of the Flowers opens with huge promise; a menacing scene with fascinating characters which immediately draws the reader into the book. We almost immediately find ourselves tossed back into our own everyday world, and again the realistic, and not necessarily likeable, characters there continue to draw us into the mystery. But sadly, when the two worlds inevitably collide - disaster! It's as if Tad Williams has been reading to much Terry Pratchett! This time the otherland is a spoofy, whimsical place and Applecore, our guide, is one of the more irritating characters in fantasy I can think of. Furthermore, the hero's progress through this world is at times achingly slow, interspersed with the kind of silliness you might expect from a spoof - or a children's fantasy - and much of the journey amounts to little more a theme-park ride through Williams' quirky Faerie-land that left me itching for something dramatic to happen. Now if that world floats your boat, you may enjoy it, but frankly for me this was a disappointing sub-Pratchett excercise, which thoroughly betrays its initial promise.
I haven't the heart to give a Tad Williams book two stars, and I can't say that I absolutely regret reading it, so I'm giving this two-and-a-half, rounded up to three.
By the way, if anyone like me was attracted to the premise of this story, but ultimately felt let down, I would highly recommend Greg Bear's The Serpent Mage (1986), where Earth and a Celtic-inspired Faerie collide in a very similar way (it also involves a musician): however Bear's grip on the idea is much more certain - I couldn't recommend his book more highly.