Profile for Geoffrey Newman > Reviews

Content by Geoffrey Newman

Geoffrey Newman (Hereford. England)

Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Color Sundays, Volume 1: Call of the Wild
Walt Disney's Mickey Mouse Color Sundays, Volume 1: Call of the Wild
by Floyd Gottfredson

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the ticket, 12 Sep 2013
As much as I love the Mickey dailys this book is what Ive been waiting for. Most of it is of the one page gags, which I prefer but there are some longer stories too which are very enjoyable as well. Dare we hope that they will bring out the Sundays of Al Telliaferro`s Donald Duck?

The Ancient World in Silent Cinema
The Ancient World in Silent Cinema
by Dr Pantelis Michelakis

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 21 Aug 2013
This to me is the book disapppointment of the year.My fault for expecting too much but with the hefty price tag I`ve a right to be disappointed. I thought each film would be treated seperatly with a bit of plot, a picture and a review and some information. Of course the authers have not been able to see every film but they must have seen some. There must have been some reviews when the films came out. I was foolish enough not to check on the book`s size so I expected, what with the price, a doorstep of a book. It arrived very quickly though. If one is looking for a scholarly look at the subject then by all means get it. Its made me feel that I need to see books before buying them. The one on silent epics which I would like just has not been written yet as far as I can see.

Norman Saunders
Norman Saunders
by David Saunders

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book., 9 Mar 2011
This review is from: Norman Saunders (Hardcover)
This really is a most wonderful book. I was surprised at how heavy it is.For anyone wanting plenty of pictures about the subject`s art you wont`t do any better. The one of H.J.Ward is of the same caliber. I just hope the publishers bring more out like this. I`m saving up already.

The Horror! the Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
The Horror! the Horror!: Comic Books the Government Didn't Want You to Read!
by Jim Trombetta

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfull., 4 Dec 2010
I cant recommend this book highly enough to horror comic fans. Packed with complete stories and comic covers without relying on the EC titles which have had their own history books several times. Also has the DVD disc as a bonus.Well done the publishers.

Li'l Abner Volume 1
Li'l Abner Volume 1
by Al Capp

5.0 out of 5 stars A must get., 2 Jun 2010
This review is from: Li'l Abner Volume 1 (Hardcover)
Not being a fan of "landscape" shaped books I found this one very welcome.I will certainly be ordering the next one.I cant imagine any Lil Abner devoties being dispointed except of if one should want differant volumes for daily and Sunday pages.This ia a wondwerfully prodused book with good paper and very clear printing. A joy to behold. Now come on IDW, how about doing the same for Blondie and the Katzenjammer Kids? The Kids have been sorely neglected by publishers. After all they helped to get comics started.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2010 12:46 PM BST