Profile for purrdey > Reviews

Content by purrdey

purrdey "purrdey" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
SPIGEN Google Nexus 5 Case Protective [Neo Hybrid] [Champagne Gold] Slim Dual Layer Bumper Protection Cover for Nexus 5 - Champagne Gold (SGP10564)
Offered by Keep in Case

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't know if I'll ever get it off, 11 Nov 2013
The packaging on this was Rolls-Royce calibre, even over-the-top. Putting the case on the phone is a two-part process: you put the soft plastic back+sides around the phone which is fine, then you have to ease the metallic plastic (very good quality appearance) around the four sides. Once the case is on, it looks like it will take a devil of a job to get it off. So much so that if you didn't know otherwise you's assume it did NOT have a case and that the metallic sides WERE part of the phone. The power and volume buttons work fine, considering how they are pressing the phone's buttons. NB only the sides are metallic (choice of 3) the back is matt black plastic, a bit like the phone, except it says spigen, not nexus (not going to happen with a 3rd party case for copyright reasons). But it compares very favourably with the Google-branded bumper case I bought for my Nexus 4 in terms of fit and quality. In fact, Google need to buy these people out to stop them making cases for iPhones that look this good.
Talking of which, one issue I expect to have in the future is that people will see the champagne gold sides of my phone and assume it's an iPhone 5S. LOL. 32GB for what I paid on Google Play, I don't think so!

Parrot Zik Headphones Hard Shell Case with Zip Closure
Parrot Zik Headphones Hard Shell Case with Zip Closure

5.0 out of 5 stars The price is bonkers, but then so are the headphones., 10 Nov 2013
I have been enjoying these headphones for a few months now and they are excellent if not exactly featherweight, but they reek of quality design and manufacture. The same applies to this case, which is sturdy but light. Only two criticisms, neither of which dent a 5-star rating, which are that the case could have been made SLIGHTLY smaller and slimmer, and the price is TOTALLY BONKERS. If you can get if from the U.S. then the price is the same in dollars ie. $39.99 which is the usual $>£ con.

Zens Universal Qi Single Wireless Charging Plate with UK Mains Adapter Compatible with Google Nexus 4, 5, 7 Tablet and smartphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the Nexus 4, 9 Aug 2013
Have had this all of 7 hours but it seems to do what it says on the tin. I'm using my Nexus 4 with a Google bumper case and it charges just fine without needing to remove it. I didn't attach the black dot it says might be needed to keep the Nexus 4 firmly on the charger, but I guess the soft rubber of the bumper case is providing some grip. Other people have observed that it's smaller than expected and I agree, but that just means it chews up less of your valuable desk space. It is not too fussy about placement, which is good and the green light assures you it is charging. All this makes the product way better than all the other chargers I've reviewed, including Google's own Nexus orb (apparently the Nexus 4 can slide off, which is a hoot given its high price).
So it's neat, works well, it's just a shame it's not £20 in which case 90% of Nexus 4 owners would buy one. About the only thing I'd change if I could would be that the charger/lead would be a microUSB plug into the charger, and a standard USB into the mains 'brick', like the regular Nexus 4 mains charger.

Confusingly amazon.co.uk has two versions, one is ten quid dearer than the other, but I can't see why you need to pay a premium(?)
NB if you want a white one mobilefun has these for about the same price (taking postage into account; amazon is dearer but postage is free).

Denon Ceol Piccolo Network Music System with Wi-Fi, DLNA,Airplay and Speakers - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but can I get one without this Apple crap on it?, 28 Feb 2013
I agree with Jack, except that I went for the white Denon speakers as a bundle. When I first started playing 320Kbps MP3s off my Synology NAS box (DS212+, massively recommended by the way) I was a bit disappointed, but over the past week or two I think the speakers have bedded in and now they sound pretty good.
This setup is in a white conservatory thus I did not want black, nor disco power or big speakers - I have a Denon AV amp (7 x 130W RMS) with a 5.1 setup for all that. I use it for 3 sound sources:
1. 320Kbps MP3s off my Synology DS212, as mentioned - using the excellent DS-Audio Android app that comes with the Synology
2. Internet radio
3. Stuff off my Android phone/tablet (youtube, BBC iPlayer, you name it) which I am streaming to the Denon's analog AUX input over Bluetooth, using a Logitech bluetooth adapter (can also highly recommended this gizmo, but it would be even better if it had digital audio out)

What I am NOT using it for is to connect an iPod/Pad/Phone or any other Apple kit. I'd have paid extra to do away with this.

Like most Denon stuff, this is a well-built product and good value-for-money. Its 65W RMS is a lot for such a small unit. If you have the room and want more more speaker power then by all means buy it without speakers and choose a more audiophile pair.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 2, 2013 1:24 PM BST

Skagen Ladies Two-Tone Mesh Watch - 355SGSC
Skagen Ladies Two-Tone Mesh Watch - 355SGSC

5.0 out of 5 stars ultra slim, ultra quick!, 7 July 2012
We ordered this Skagen ladies watch immediately on our return from Copenhagen. There, Skagen watches are more expensive than here, even on the high street, and a ton more than from amazon or its partner BWC. Our order was placed online at 12:02 on 5 July and I signed for it on Saturday morning 7 July just after 09:00. The watch is extremely classy and looks much more expensive than it is.
I am sometimes sceptical about purchasing from an amazon partner (the service can't be as good as amazon itself) but BWC excelled themselves and I will certainly use them again. I've just got to work out what I'm going to spend their 6% discount voucher on...

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adapter FOR Bluetooth Audio Devices (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, effective, works brilliantly, 2 April 2012
Amazon has its knickers in a twist: this product has two entries with the prices a pound apart (same supplier!) and two different sets of reviews. Come on, amazon; it's not that difficult!

Anyway, having loaded my entire CD collection onto a BlackBerry PlayBook (absolutely excellent by the way) I needed a wireless (Bluetooth) speaker capability. Auditioned a few and was underwhelmed. The Bose in particular is too bassy and too pricey (the Soundlink at £259 or £299? They're having a laugh!). Then I spotted this and tried it out and it now sits between my PlayBook and a Creative SoundWorks 3.1 setup in my conservatory.

Incidentally, you could spend thousands on a Sonos or similar home setup; alternatively get yourself a BlackBerry PlayBook and a Logitech adapter, paired with a pair of active speakers (have a look at the Audio Engine 2), in any room where you want to listen to your music, and you're away.

Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices
Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat, no fuss, it just works!, 29 Feb 2012
I agree with those that say this is no fuss. Out of box, plug in mains, connect to active speakers, press Connect button, ditto on BlackBerry PlayBook (A2DP now works on this with the OS 2.0 upgrade - it didn't before) and you have wireless sound. It JUST works.

Only real issue for me is that I can't control output volume from the PlayBook (this is locked at max volume, which is quite a low level), but this is not a deal breaker, especially since it also JUST works with my Asus Transformer, but there you CAN control the volume from the tablet.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2012 4:02 AM BST

Creative Labs Live! Cam Chat HD
Creative Labs Live! Cam Chat HD

5.0 out of 5 stars 100x better than Microsoft's efforts, 23 Dec 2011
I needed to upgrade my webcam for Skype (previously using a Logitech QuickCam Zoom which people were telling me looked like **** at their end), so bought this after comparing specs etc on the web. Under XP Pro SP2 if you just plug it in and go then Skype only sees it as a generic 'USB Video device' with only limited tweaking using Skype>video settings>webcam settings. However if you download the latest driver (in my case LCCH_0700_PCDRV_17_1_00_06) then Skype sees the specific device (not a generic one) and a ton more Skype setting tweaks suddenly become available, including tilt/zoom function.

I have friends with Microsoft Lifecam VX-3000 or similar and this device is 100x better quality, plus it is in a very neat package to sit on top of your monitor.

Asus EeePad Transformer TF101 10.1 inch Tablet PC (nVidia Tegra2 1GHz, 1Gb, 16Gb eMMC, WLAN, BT, Android 3.0) with docking station and keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Unless you're an Apple evangelist, this is THE tablet, 26 July 2011
Since my 10-year old Toshiba notebook had pretty much given up on me, I was on the lookout for its replacement. I didn't particularly want another notebook and thought a netbook might be the way to go. But with all the hype about tablets I thought I'd better check these out. The first thing I decided was that I did NOT want an iPad, since I hate their walled garden/control freak approach with iTunes, no Flash, poor connectivity and no memory expansion. Since I own a BlackBerry then the PlayBook seemed the obvious choice.
Oh dear, the PlayBook wasn't for me. The things it did well (swipes/flicks etc) it did REALLY well,and QNX seems fairly intuitive/powerful. However I struggled to get it to do what I wanted overall, or to replicate the same thing several times running. Add in the lack of storage expansion (why no microSD like on my BlackBerry phone?), the almost total absence of apps, and the smaller screen and I almost began to wonder if I'd end up with an iPad2, whose only competition now seemed to be from Android (I think we can rule out WebOS). No Android tablet had thus far impressed me, then up pops the Asus Transformer, complete with its slot-in keyboard. This looked great on paper but I was sceptical that it would deliver in practice.
The Asus matches or betters the iPad in a whole host of ways. It's very intuitive to use (once you understand the basics of the Android UI). It's got oodles of connectivity and expansion - especially with the keyboard connected. My biggest criticism so far is that I can't filter the Android Market for apps that are optimised for tablets in general, or Honeycomb (Android 3.n) or even the Asus Transformer in particular [Android, please take note; Apple has you over a barrel on this one]. A few days in and I've loaded about 40-50 apps, all free, before I start buying paid-for, ad-free apps. A second criticism is that the battery needs charging overnight, every night, although this probably has much to do with the fact that I'm hammering it at present. Downloading/installing apps is pretty simple, but I have to mention a major Android plus over iOS, which is the power to customise everything. On the Asus there are 5 home screens you can load with apps and flick across, with THE home in the middle (#3). You can load widgets to your heart's content, and even get apps to allow you to fine-tune these to your requirements (eg. I couldn't spot a decent World Clocks app so I downloaded a Clock widget editor and made my own in 5 minutes). I was also fairly impressed that as soon as I'd loaded the Kindle and Audible apps it immediately brought down everything I'd bought from these two places.
I next bought a 16Gb microSD, connected the tablet via USB to my PC and (using the simplest drag-and-drop) promptly filled this up with photos and MP3s. OK, there's the SD card expansion in the dock, but I recommend that anyone who buys this tablet and proposes to use it undocked a large part of the time, goes straight for a 32Gb microSD (especially if you plan on loading any ripped DVDs). One little quirk: the inbuilt memory is described in the File Manager as /sdcard, while the microSD and SD expansion memory comes under /Removable. I guess this is because there's an SD card in there somewhere that you can't remove/change.
Aesthetically it is light years ahead of the plasticky iPad, being a very stylish bronze colour. When docked and carried about like a netbook, it is very handsome. The screen is gorgeous, but obviously is as rubbish as the iPad in sunlight.

UPDATE, 7 months later...
My Asus is still brilliant, even more so with the upgrade to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Obviously if you wanted one now you'd be looking at the Asus Transformer PRIME (thinner, lighter, faster, etc - isn't it always the way?) What has changed since July 2011 is that the BlackBerry PlayBook has had its price slashed AND its OS upgraded to v2.0. As a result I now have both and they do different jobs: the Asus for its bigger screen and its keyboard, so that it lives on the table at home; the PlayBook for its lightness, portability and greater ease of use, so that it now goes with me everywhere, complete with a set of headphones.

Percol Black & Beyond Espresso Coffee Beans 227g (Pack of 8)
Percol Black & Beyond Espresso Coffee Beans 227g (Pack of 8)
Offered by Ainley Organics

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails to deliver, 11 Dec 2010
Having just invested in a trial packet of Percol Black & Beyond espresso beans I shan't be re-investing. We bought a new Kitchenaid Artisan espresso machine this autumn and are evaluating all sensibly priced espresso-style beans. This simply didn't cut it, producing a poor quality, thin crema. I'll be asking for my money back since it does NOT do what it says on the tin. Better by far is either Sainsbury's Espresso Blend (arabica+robusta) or Waitrose Rich Italian (100% arabica).
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 4, 2014 6:36 PM GMT