Profile for realessence101 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
BLACK+DECKER VH780 Vacuum, 230 V
BLACK+DECKER VH780 Vacuum, 230 V

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job but could be better, 9 Feb. 2014
This is a nice portable handheld vacuum cleaner, rather light and easy to assemble. It has enough suction to clean pet hair from the low-pile carpet without too much effort. The build quality of the body is very good and the cable is quite long. The only issue is it asks you to clean the filter every few minutes, which is annoying. Even though the dust collector is almost empty, the filter indicator comes up because the hair and lint block the external filter. The internal filter is a bit messy and not so easy to clean. The recommended method in the manual is to let the water run through it at the sink, but it doesn't work well for the dust that is stucked at the creases. I have to use an old toothbrush to remove it, despite realising that it can damage the paper filter.

Lonely Planet Pocket Berlin (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket Berlin (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good guide book, 6 Jan. 2014
This is a good guide book and it has everthing you need in a light, pocketable size. It has quite up-to-date information about the attractions, such as opening times, admission price and how to get there. The only thing that could be better is the map. It is made of ordinary paper, so it doesn't seem to last very long, or stand the rain. Also, the map doesn't have so much details. It doesn't have the names of smaller streets, so it wouldn't be very helpful if you are lost and need to know where you are.

Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh Ultra-Slim Portable Charger  External Battery Power Bank with Built-in Micro USB Cable for USB Devices (Black)
Anker Astro Slim3 6000mAh Ultra-Slim Portable Charger External Battery Power Bank with Built-in Micro USB Cable for USB Devices (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 31 Oct. 2013
I ordered it as a gift to a friend. She said it is working well and it is very convenient to put in her handbag. The charging did not take too long. She even wanted to buy another one for her family. The item was quickly dispatched and came in a sealed box with a warranty. Excellent seller.

JVC HAS160A Flats Foldable Style Stereo Headphones - Blue
JVC HAS160A Flats Foldable Style Stereo Headphones - Blue
Offered by Freundlichen Himmel

3.0 out of 5 stars Amazing sound but little comfort, 30 Sept. 2013
I bought one like this but in a light blue colour two months ago. This headphone produces great sound quality, despite the inexpensive price. The build looks sturdy and the material is light. However, one big flaw I found is that it is not so comfortable to wear for a long time. I have the habit of having my headphone on while I work on my computer. After a couple of hours, it will feel very tight and hot on my ears. I tried adjusting the length and everything but it made no difference. Now I gave up. It's such a shame because I like everything else about it.

Cabin Max Foldaway trolley bag - Worlds lightest maximum allowance trolley hand luggage 44 litre Foldable 1.3kg

4.0 out of 5 stars Ticks all the boxes...well, almost, 4 May 2013
I was looking for a hand luggage to replace my old one which had one wheel broken. I didn't want to spend a fortune, so my choices were quite limited. For a mid-price luggage, this trolley bag ticks all the boxes. The size is perfect. It comes very close to Ryan Air's baggage allowance. The weight is superb. I fully loaded it and it still weighed less than 10 kg. The plastic wheels are wide and look quite strong. It has two detachable legs on the bottom that enable the bag to stand without tumbling down. The handle looks durable and comfortable enough to carry. You can lock the main compartment as well as the two outer compartments. The bag can be folded flat, which is a nice bonus for me. The material it is made with seems okay. It probably won't withstand if someone tries to cut it with a knife or scissors, but for general use, it should be fine. I really like that it has a huge capacity and even though it looks full, there is always room to put more. Due to the fact that it is not a solid suitcase, the sides can expand a little bit. However, the down point is while you are lifting it up, it won't hold its shape so well. It also isn't suitable for storing a laptop, as it doesn't offer cushion or shell for the inside content. The long handle is the right size and does its job well, despite its filmsy appearance. The two wheels make a little noise but they roll smoothly on a flat surface.

I put this hand luggage to a tough test by using it as a check-in luggage for my trip to India. Surprisingly, it survived 6 flights intact. However, while dragging it along the uneven pavement of my street, the plastic piece that attached one of the resting leg to the wheel got broken. It was such a shame. Anyway, I'm still impressed with how it performed and I didn't regret buying it.

Magnetic Knee Strap Patella Support
Magnetic Knee Strap Patella Support
Offered by Supports Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't work for me., 12 April 2013
I've been having a knee pain and been trying several types of knee straps/supports. Having read good reviews here, I got high hope and bought one for myself and one for my mom who has suffered the same condition. Unfortunately, not only it doesn't make my knee feel better, wearing it only for a short time was very uncomfortable to my skin, maybe because of the magnets bumping out. My mom also felt the same. We never used them again.

Parker IM Brushed Metal Gold Trim Ball Pen - Gift Boxed
Parker IM Brushed Metal Gold Trim Ball Pen - Gift Boxed

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy at an affordable price, 12 April 2013
I bought this as a gift. At first, I feared that the pen would look boring, but it looks really nice and more expensive than it is. The weight is not too light nor too heavy. It comes with a blue ink refill already installed. The gift box is beautiful and suits the colours of the pen. It also writes very smooth. I might buy another one for myself. However, one thing I'd like to note is a part of the description here is incorrect. This pen has a push, not a twist mechanism.

Soft Sleeve Pouch Case for Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 / S2 i9100 / S i9000 in Black supplied in Elite packaging

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim, protective, professional-looking, 16 Mar. 2013
This is exactly what I was looking for. I had a thick gel plastic case on and I didn't like it. Besides, I needed something to protect the screen against a dozen of things in my handbag because I thought the LCD protector alone was not enough. This case protects all of the phone from scratching and keeps it clean from dust and lint. But the material is not thick enough, if you accidentally drop the phone, so I bought an extra thin TPU case to add another layer of protection. The pouch fits perfectly. It looks neat and professional as well. I have no problem hearing the phone ring.

Samsung Galaxy SIII UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Pebble Blue (16GB) - Discontinued by manufacturer
Offered by ONLINE STORE US

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely great phone, 14 Mar. 2013
This phone is both a beauty and a brain. I was unsure about its size at first, but after reading lots of good things, I decided that this is probably the best one in the market right now. I found it to be a bit big and heavier than my old SI and my hand got tired when I held it for a long time. However, it took me only a couple of days to get used to it. Now I don't find the size to be a problem at all. The design looks better than I had expected. As I have the blue one, I love the glossy back cover. It makes the phone look more sleek. Plus, it fits well in the hand because of the curvy sides (but it can be a tiny bit wobbly if you want to type when it lies on the desk).

As for the software, mine comes with Jelly Bean 4.1.2, which I think is a great improvement from my old Gingerbread. With this update, you can install Google Now, which people say is better than the in-built Samsung S-Voice. Although I don't really use it much in my daily life, I'm impressed by how clever it is. The innovative Smart Stay works in a limited condition. If your face is not directly looking at the screen or if the light is not enough, it won't work. It is nice to have, but I won't depend on it. A big screen means a big keyboard, which helps my chubby finger to type faster and more accurately. The clarity and vividness of the display is stunning. I heard some complaints the dimness. I have to disagree. I don't even have to set it to half the brightness level to get a good picture.

Regarding battery life, which is everyone's concern, I think it is pretty decent, if you know how to handle it. For example, turn off the functions that are not in use, like GPS, Wi-Fi or Mobile data. Don't set the screen too bright (it's even better if you use a darker colour wallpaper). Clear the running applications by using the Task Manager (long press at the home button and then delete). Set reasonable frequency of data syncing. If the phone has to constantly download something all the time, the juice is sure to run out fast (so is your data quota). Importantly, install an energy-saving application. I have been using Juice Defender for many years and I highly recommend it. Especially in the paid version (only costs a couple of pounds), you can select the level of saving mode. I choose Custom Mode, which will turn off the Internet connection when the screen shuts down, but let you select the programmes that you want to keep connecting. This means you can still receive emails and instant messages real time. I did all this and I got my phone battery to last over 18 hours with moderate use (browsing, making calls, watching a few youtube videos). That is quite impressive by a smartphone standard.

Now, the S3 owner's biggest nightmare - the vulnerability of the screen. The phone huge display makes it more likely to crack when dropped on a hard surface. Gorillaz glass can prevent minor scratches, but not a direct impact. A good screen protector is still a must, and for a peace of mind, use a protective case. Sadly, it may compromise the gorgeous design of the phone. But if you will, you might want to choose the one that also covers all the rim of the front screen because it will help if you drop the phone on the side or face down. From many drop tests that I've watched, I notice that the screen tends to crack while the software still works fine.

Sorry for the long review. Like many have said, this phone is outstanding, but it's not perfect. That's why I gave 4 stars. However, so far I am very happy with it and think I made the right decision.

Frommer's Prague Day by Day (Frommer's Day by Day - Pocket)
Frommer's Prague Day by Day (Frommer's Day by Day - Pocket)
by Mark Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this, 2 Aug. 2012
There are things that I look for in a guide book. First, it must be light and convenient to carry around. If you are a budget traveller like me, a 300-page book full of beautiful photographs is lovely to look at but is a real burden to your luggage weight limit. And believe me, the heavier it is, the more tempted you will be to leave it at home or at your hotel room. Second, I want compact information of interesting attractions, arranged in the comprehensible layout. Books with long descriptive paragraphs with some key words in bold are better for reading before the trip, but not during. Third, I don't know about you, but I tend to avoid those guide books that offer long lists of recommended accommodations and restaurants. Those sections are useless for me since I always plan where I'd stay in advance and I prefer to do my research on the Internet. Fourth, the book should have easy-to-read maps, or better yet, zoomed-in maps which focus on popular tourist areas. Lastly, additional tips about the best time to visit, or small suggestions on off-beaten track routes, are always nice.

This Frommer's Prague Day by Day scores perfectly in all the categories I have mentioned, after comparing it with the others on the market. Plus, it comes with a fold-away map in a rainproof plastic case, which I think is very thoughtful. The attractions are divided into neighbourhoods, making it easy to walk around and explore. It has the information on the opening times and admission prices. Importantly, it includes the names of the places in Czech, which is tremendously helpful because most signs in Prague are not written in English, especially at the tram stops. On top of that, I quite enjoyed the author's style of writing. It is casual and does not overwhelm the readers with too much detail. In short, it is a fun and practical read. I'm happy that I bought this one.

Page: 1 | 2