Profile for Ian > Reviews

Thai Kiss
Thai Kiss
Price: 3.18

4.0 out of 5 stars A good story, 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: Thai Kiss (Kindle Edition)
A good easy to read book. The characters in the story are well rounded and completely believable. If you are familiar with Pattaya in Thailand it’s fun to try and spot the real places that the fictional spots Carrell is referring to.

In the course of the novel Carrell successfully explores the dynamics and differing motivations relationships between Thai women and western men and lays out some uncomfortable truths, much in the tradition of Stephen Leather's novel Private Dancer.
In summery I would recommend this book as an easy entertaining read which will perhaps give you an insight into the world of the girls working in the tourist areas of Thailand

Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands Book 1)
Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands Book 1)
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great premise and plot, 21 Mar 2014
I've brmHaving read the synopsis and being a lifelong Fantasy fan I was convinced to buy this as a Kindle book to pass the time on some long train journeys and I am glad I did. I love the basic premise for this story of the dystopian hell for suicides and others. As middle aged man I was disappointed and had to gloss over the attempts to include romance in the growing relationship between the main characters but that said perhaps the book was really being aimed at my age bracket !

Slips, Trips & Whiplash: and the perils of finding love in a Thai go-go bar
Slips, Trips & Whiplash: and the perils of finding love in a Thai go-go bar
Price: 0.77

3.0 out of 5 stars A good start, 21 Mar 2014
An OK story, the prose was readable but I didn’t like the way it was structured. I found it confusing and ultimately dissatisfying. Having said that it I think it is a ‘good start’ and I don’t mean that to sound patronising, I genuinely think that Carrell has a future as a writer but perhaps not with this story.

Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Raising Steam: (Discworld novel 40) (Discworld Novels)
Price: 5.31

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointed, 21 Mar 2014
As with all new Discworld releases from Terry Pratchett I bought my copy as it was published. I knew from the advance publicity it was going to be another Moist Von Lipwig book a little disappointing as my favourite characters are Granny Weatherwax, Tiffany Aching and Commander Vimes, but no matter I thought it’s still going to be good.

But after reading it I have to say I have never been so disappointed in a book as I was with this one, I have read all of the Discworld series and enjoyed all of them (some more than others, as would be expected) but this is the first one I had to force myself to read in the forlorn hope that it would get better. The plot is tenuous and poorly thought through, in effect the whole story is a potted history of the development of Railways in the UK with a few sly references to Brief Encounter and the Railway Children thrown in. There is little character development and some unwelcome changes to the old characters such as the Patrician. Maybe it is Sir Terry’s illness that is affecting his writing now or his use of the voice recognition software that has caused the change but whichever it is I mourn the loss. Much as it pains me to say it, perhaps it’s now time for Sir Terry to hang up his keyboard and retire.

A Blink of the Screen: Collected Short Fiction
A Blink of the Screen: Collected Short Fiction
Price: 3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars a bit of a money spinner, 14 Nov 2013
I think Terry must have been talked into publishing this collection against his better judgement or at least that is the impression I got from his comments at the start of each story. Its just a collection of writings from early in his career which don't, apart from one or two story's, do him any justice at all. Disappointing to say the least. Unless you just must have everything published by him I wouldn't bother with this.

To Be Loved
To Be Loved
Price: 5.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best but still good, 31 May 2013
This review is from: To Be Loved (Audio CD)
I'm a fan of Michael and while I did enjoy most of the tracks one or two left me cold. To my mind he made a big mistake or at least missed an opportunity in not singing Van Morrison's song "Have I told You Latley that I love you" rather than the song he chose.

English Rain
English Rain
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 8.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing -sort of, 31 May 2013
This review is from: English Rain (Audio CD)
There is no doubt that Ms Aplin has a beautiful voice and there are some nice tracks on this album. But it was spoilt for me by some very careless or just sloppy guitar playing. Each track is interspersed with squeaking noises as her hand thats playing the frets slides up and down the strings. For a professional musician to allow this to happen on every track is in my opinion unforgivable and completly spoiled the experience. She should either practse more or get a session musician to play the acoustic guitar for her.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2013 11:28 AM BST

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - well written and gripping, 12 Nov 2012
An excellent book, well written and gripping. So much so I went and bought the remaining two books in the trilogy.

The heroine of the book, Katniss Everdeen is a complex character, I found myself liking her enormously at points and at other times getting frustrated with her to the point of almost shouting at the book ! So you will no doubt understand me when I say she is a complex character, well written and always engaging. The other key characters are just as well written and have their own battles with Katniss. I don't believe in giving out the plot in reviews so forgive me if I don't tell you how it ends. But If you have only seen the film Hunger Games ( or if you have not) I strongly recommend you buy a copy of this, you won't regret it and I'll even bet like me you by the remaining books in the series.