Profile for Gelderland > Reviews

Writing the Stories of Your Life: How to Turn Memories into Memoir
Writing the Stories of Your Life: How to Turn Memories into Memoir
by Elsa McKeithan

4.0 out of 5 stars The 'one stop read' for life story writers, 21 Aug 2013
"PHEW!" That's what you'll say when you scan through the Table of Contents of Elsa McKeithan's manual for turning your memories into Memoir. The book is so comprehensive and detailed that if you follow McKeithan's instructions you can't help to tackle your life story in a much more productive and satisfying way. All the information and advice you could ever want is given in this book ,BUT, you have got to work at the assignments and obediently accept and follow her 'how to do it' instructions if you want to produce a well-written life story. That's not say that this is the only way to benefit from the book. Even the most dedicated skimmer and skipper will pick up a mine of information and bucket-loads of techniques and will probably be inspired to expose him or herself to the full treatment.

Samsung Galaxy Tab for Seniors (Studio Visual Steps)
Samsung Galaxy Tab for Seniors (Studio Visual Steps)
by Studio Visual Steps

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Companion for anyone using Galaxy Tab for the first time, 21 Aug 2013
This book is an excellent choice if like me you are eighty-four and find yourself with a Galaxy Tab then wonder what you are going to do with it. When I first got mine I spent over a week trying to download the manual from the Samsung website. I failed and then spent many weeks stumbling about pressing the wrong icons and getting more irritated by the hour. Luckily on a visit to Holland I saw a Dutch version of this book and was impressed so that on my return to the UK I ordered the English version from Amazon and I have been well pleased with the book. The content is very comprehensive and uses a Visual Steps system for showing you the Galaxy Tab uses such as using email, web surfing, using the installed applications, downloading additional 'apps', taking photos and making videos and finally adding music to your tablet. Each step is explained in detail and accompanied by a generous number of screen shots so that that you can see as well as read what you are doing. And, to put a 'cherry on the cake' there is an accompanying web site where you can find 'bonus chapters' not to mention a free newsletter if you want it. So this has been a great help to me at eighty-four so I'm sure it can help many other seniors. If I had to make one gripe it would be that in their eagerness to make everything plain there are one or two pages that look too crowded and 'busy'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2014 4:44 PM GMT

IVSO Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 P5100 P5110 Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case With Multi-Angle Stand - NOT Fit Galaxy Note 10.1 N8000 N8010 (White)
Offered by Gambolex

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection and good functional stand, 14 Mar 2013
Well made from stout, attractive matererial with good close fit for the tab so that when closed the tab is fully proctected from knocks and scratches. In the 'stand' position the tab is firmly held and can be set in several positions from almost vertical to an almost horizontal slant.
A good buy if you own a Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Scrivener for Writers (Windows)
Scrivener for Writers (Windows)

4.0 out of 5 stars A better way to get started with Scrivener, 11 Mar 2013
I bought this Kindle ebook after struggling to master Scrivener by reading 'Scrivener for Dummies'. It was refreshing. I sensed that the author had perhaps struggled with Scrivener himself before turning to help others. It felt to me as if he was by my side explaining some feature of Scrivener and then showing me how to use the feature. With plenty of 'don't forget' and 'remember to' together with regular reminders that you don't have to be familiar with every feature of Scrivener to make good use of it. He also explains how he has personally used the feature and refers you to his web site for more details. Reading this book got me going with Scrivener - using it rather than being overwhelmed by it.

Scrivener For Dummies
Scrivener For Dummies
by Gwen Hernandez

2.0 out of 5 stars A poor way for a confused learner to master the multiiple tools and benefits of Scrivener, 11 Mar 2013
This review is from: Scrivener For Dummies (Paperback)
When I purchased the book I was looking for someone to show me how to use Scrivener. Instead I found this book more of a detailed exposition of each of Scrivener's features - more of a 'tell me' rather than a 'show me' approach. I kept hoping that I would find something like; 'Suppose you are writing a profile of some well-known person and you have photos, cuttings, documents and other items that you have gathered. Here's how you can get them all safely into the Reseach folder of Scrivener. First, . . . . '
I didn't find it.
I would say this book is an excellent reference manual for the experienced user of Scrivener but an offputting introduction and guide for a person already overwhelmed by the multiple features of Scrivener.

THREE PACKS of Wisdom Addis Smokers Extra Hard Toothbrush
THREE PACKS of Wisdom Addis Smokers Extra Hard Toothbrush
Offered by KrystalDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to clean teeth again, 23 Nov 2012
My teeth and gums have always felt better after a good scrub with a 'stiff bristled' toothbrush. Recently I have found it getting much more difficult to find what is called a 'smokers' toothbrush. It's over 40 years since I gave up smoking but I didn't want to give up my stiff bristled smoker's toothbrush so I was delighted when I found this supplier. The price was right, the supplier's descriiption was accurate and they were well packed and arrived on time. Job done Amazon Verified Review.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pleasant Surprise, 1 Jun 2011
I bought my Kindle for two reasons: first to stop ever more books being added to my already overstuffed bookshelves;and second to read more recent fiction without for ever visiting bookshops and handing over several pounds. My Kindle does both these things to perfection: but more than that, I have received a third and totally unexpected benefit;access to hundreds of classics that I read in my youth. Now as I travel on bus, train or aircraft my Kindle lets me bathe in the warm glow of nostalgia, adventuring again with my boyhood heroes, or sometimes being given a short, sharp shock as Arnold Bennett tells me 'How to live on 24 hours a day.' Then, when I've read a Kindle book I remove it with the press of a button - no more trudging to the charity shop with shopping bags full of books.

The family tree detective: A manual for tracing your ancestors in England and Wales (Family Tree Detective)
by Colin D. Rogers

4.0 out of 5 stars Demanding perhaps - but worth it., 2 Mar 2011
This is not one of the 'chummy' popular-type guides to family history reseach. No coloured diagrams, brief summaries or over-confident claims. It is just what it says on the cover: a manual for those tracing ancestors in England and Wales. In other words it's a serious book meant to help those who are prepared to undertake some serious reading to boost their research effectiveness. A planned, purposeful reading of the 'The family tree detective' will give you the knowledge and skills to make pleasing progress.

The Really, Really, Really Easy Step-by-step Guide to Creating Your Family Tree Using Your Computer
by Gavin Hoole

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the cover, 11 Jan 2011
I bought this book after at three failed attempts at getting started with my family tree. Earlier books I had consulted were as boring as textbooks as dull in appearance as a railway timetable. It's brief, bright, well illustrated and colourful. Step by step I found myself understanding genealogy and ready to get started. You won't need to buy any commercially available familt tree software because the book concentrates on using the Personal Ancestral File developed and offered free by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Don't turn your nose up at this just because its free. It has been used by thousands because it works and this book will take you through it step by step. There is a great deal more in the book taking you into the wider aspects of family history but overall this book delivers - it does what it says it will do.