Profile for M. Appleton > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Sony DVPSR90B MIDI DVD Player
Sony DVPSR90B MIDI DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Extraordinary value for money, 8 April 2009
Since I began to download DivX rips of US TV episodes I wanted a capable player, so I bagged one of these off eBay and I am VERY impressed.

I was struck by the sheer size of the thing - it's no bigger or heavier a slimline PS2. It's very elegant in black, with a green LED display and the minimum of buttons on the top edge of the fascia. The remote is also pleasingly small but doesn't compromise on features. (I should add for Scott Jones that although there is no eject button on this player's remote, the player does accept an eject "signal" from other Sony DVD remotes, as well as my Sony all-in-one).

There is only the bare minimum of socketry (an RGB SCART and composite phonos), but I have no qualms with that. An S-Video would have been nice but it's unlikely an AV receiver owner would go for an entry level player like this anyway. Picture is outstanding at this price point, with a few preset modes and sharpness adjustment. The player is also pretty quiet in operation (but it's a bit slower to load than some of its stockier cousins - again, no biggie for me). Chapter seeks are incredibly quick and smooth, with barely a quarter of a second's pause; layer changes are equally fast, a huge improvement over my previous player.

The biggest draw for me, though, was DivX capability - my home-burned compilations played as though they were ordinary MPEG-2's, so I can't fault it in this respect either. I just have to add chaptering structure to my comps now! I have also just discovered that it also plays Xvid (apparently far more popular), so there's every chance it could play ANYTHING in a .avi container.

The rise of Blu-ray is apparently doubly good because players like this are now going for ridiculous (in a good way!) money. DVD players seem to have reached their apex now, so get on the wagon if you haven't converted to HD yet - this is probably the best 17 I've ever spent.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2010 4:39 PM GMT

Sony SLV-SE740 6 Head Nicam Video Recorder
Sony SLV-SE740 6 Head Nicam Video Recorder

4.0 out of 5 stars Close to excellent, but not QUITE there, 5 April 2009
I upgraded from a 710, and the 740 is better in most areas, but not all.

Starting with the obvious, the picture is outstanding with the proper tracking, and sound is as good as it can be for a VHS. I will say that a couple of tapes that played with no problems on my previous machine undergo the odd re-tracking episode, but I don't really care too much.

Since I record exclusively via the SCART input (Sky Digibox) I have encountered no set-up probems in this regard, but the recording function itself could be more responsive and communicative - I press record on the remote and recording starts roughly two seconds later with no feedback onscreen. Pausing and resuming under record more are also a bit slow, meaning you have to anticipate by a couple of seconds (which, given the fact the advert breaks usually begin and end with a sponsor's message nowadays, isn't too difficult).

The player is VERY quiet in normal operation (even the flash RW/FF), but tapes can occasionally start to "clack" for no reason I can find.

All in all, better than my outgoing VCR, but definite room for improvement - not that there will be any now ;).

Drive copy one click back up 2009 (PC DVD)
Drive copy one click back up 2009 (PC DVD)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really easy way to save LOADS of time and effort, 21 Mar 2009
One of my real bugbears is formatting and re-installing, so I avoid it wherever possible. When I found a 200GB hard drive in my father's new computer I resolved to copy my 80GB hard drive onto it and make it my own.

Luckily, I found an issue of Computer Shopper in the library that had this, Drive Wipe 2009 AND Partition Manager 2009 on a free disc, so I went out and bought the magazine.

Drive Copy's interface couldn't really be much simpler. Indeed, the program only allows you to proceed if it senses an appropriate setup (in my case my current hard drive and the intended replacement both connected to the PC). Copying the source drive is done in around three clicks, followed by a restart, after which DC2009 catches the boot before Windows loads and copies the source drive onto the destination. My 80GB volume took around 75 minutes to copy and progress was reported all the way through.

I now have my new 200GB drive in the computer, after using Partition Manager to smash the empty space together with the copied data, and everything I have tried so far has worked. I can't praise the program highly enough and I will most definitely retain it for future upgrades.

GeIL Value Dual Channel - Memory - 2 GB : 2 x 1 GB - DIMM 184-PIN - DDR - 400 MHz / PC3200 - CL3 - unbuffered

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent in every way, 25 Feb 2009
I've had Geil in my old Athlon Socket A rig for over four years now and it has NEVER put a foot wrong - I benchmark it occasionally and it flies through with no problems.

Build quality is good, especially the nice blue heatsink, and I'm told by more adventurous users that the timings can be tightened significantly.

Shame DDR1 has become so expensive now!

Verbatim 43666 8.5GB 8x DVD+R Double Layer Matt Silver 10 Pack Spindle
Verbatim 43666 8.5GB 8x DVD+R Double Layer Matt Silver 10 Pack Spindle
Price: 8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They really are worth the extra (over cheapo generics), 24 Feb 2009
In my experience DVD-related equipment is very picky when it comes to playing self-burnt DVD dual layers; I found this out to my cost after gambling on a pack of non-branded blanks. Some of them failed to write in the first place, and some of the ones that did played very choppily.

These Verbatims, on the other hand, have NEVER resulted in an erroneous burn and can always be read without issue by both my DVD player and my PC. Going with tuppence-for-25 on single layers is usually OK (they're far less complex), but so far only Verb have produced a quality DL, in my opinion.

Gillette Mach 3 Turbo Razor With 2 Replacement Cartridges
Gillette Mach 3 Turbo Razor With 2 Replacement Cartridges

5.0 out of 5 stars An outstanding wet shave, 18 Feb 2009
I shave daily against the grain and have sensitive skin, so I'm probably in the most discerning class of razor judges, and I'd give this thing 10/10. It's a HUGE improvement over the original Mach 3, with an extra blade coating that improves glide to the point of perfection - you can HEAR the shave, but not FEEL it. I have been using this razor since it first came out and I have yet to suffer a cut (or even a burn).

You can find these very cheaply now thanks to them being "superceded" by the Fusion, and the blades last me about a dozen shaves as long as they're rinsed out thouroughly each time. Blades are probably still more expensive than they should be, especially when Wilkinson Quattro's price has fallen through the floor, but not enough to put me off.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the beginner/improver, 17 Feb 2009
Like all Armortecs, the 150 is head-heavy so it's easy to generate power, and the shaft has enough play so as not to punish poor technique. IMO, these two factors make it perfect for the beginner/improver. In 3U, it's not too light or too heavy.

The more advanced player, though, will probably find the frame a bit too bulky (as the previous review states, there is a noticable clang with off sweet spot hits). The delta cross section is also less stable than stuff higher up the Yonex line-up, especially with power smashes.

However, it's not aimed at serious players, so these flaws can be excused.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars The yardstick - but there are definitely better ones, 17 Feb 2009
65Ti is by far the most commonly seen Yonex string, but IMO it's only average. While durability and hitting sound are good, the surface is quite greasy compared to strings further up in the range (BG80, in particular), and it loses tension faster than ANYTHING else I have tested - I had to pull it to 33 lbs to have my usual playability there by the time I came to use it.

It is, however, suitable for tournament use i.e. if you only ever come to play with fresh rackets and don't care how many you go through. If you don't have regular access to a stringer, though, you might be better with non-Ti BG65 or BG80.

Yonex Nanogy 95 Badminton String - 10M Set
Yonex Nanogy 95 Badminton String - 10M Set
Offered by RacquetDeal
Price: 5.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm... not really for me, 10 Feb 2009
A bit too numb for my liking, NBG95 kills off almost all feel of delicate shots (spinners in particular). It is outrageously powerful for a .69, though, and holds tension very well. Durability is excellent, but the surface is a bit slippery, leading to less control on slices.

Nanogy 98 addresses ALL of these flaws (if you can find it :).

Yonex BG 80 Yellow Badminton Racket String 10M SET
Yonex BG 80 Yellow Badminton Racket String 10M SET
Offered by RacquetDeal
Price: 5.75

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the very best Yonex strings - if your technique is up to it., 10 Feb 2009
Giving a very rigid stringbed that is difficult to bend, you need a lot of pre-existing shot power to take full advantage of BG-80. If you can do so, though, it is one of Yonex's very best.

The surface is rough, allowing excellent control of slices, and feel is carried very well thanks to the stiffness. It is not the easiest to string with, however, as it likes to curl up (and saws noticeably when pulling crosses). Yonex recommend that Vectran strings (i.e. this and BG-85) are strung 10% looser than standard string and I must say I agree - at my usual tension I find it almost unplayable when fresh.

For such a powerful string the durability is definitely above average - it's certainly a "tournament string" in my opinion.

In short, very good in all aspects.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9