Profile for K. Brown > Reviews

Content by K. Brown

K. Brown "bayernkenny" (Edinburgh, Scotland)

American Ride
American Ride

5.0 out of 5 stars Once in a while!, 10 July 2013
This review is from: American Ride (Audio CD)
I agree with all the other positive reviews of the four most recent Willie Nile albums so will not expand on the content.

Every so often a 'new' artist comes to my attention and their music uplifts me. I am 59 and can only recall a few first listens over the near fifty years I have been interested in 'rock' music that this has happened; Willie Nile is one of the few along with:

Led Zepplelin 2 (latecomer?) - still my favourite band.
Mountain Climbing
The first Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
The first Nils Lofgren solo - still my favourite solo/singer/songwriter.
Born To Run
The first Clash (US import)
Never Mind The Bollocks

You can see that it has been many years since my last epiphany; thank god for rock'n'roll.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2013 6:01 PM BST

Max Schmeling - Fist of the Reich [DVD]
Max Schmeling - Fist of the Reich [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Maske
Price: 6.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing Marketing!, 7 Jan 2012
Cannot agree more with Bob Salter.

Not only did Max Schmelling become a good friend to Joe Louis and his family he paid the funeral costs for his ring rival.

How ironic that this brave and principled man had to help a citizen of the supposed great democracy; the USA. This 'Land of the free and home of the brave' screwed Joe Louis.

Along with 'Das Wunder von Bern' this is one of the best sports movies I have seen. I bought my copy in Koln so did not have to be angered by the title and cover of the DVD.

Unusual Suspects
Unusual Suspects
Price: 14.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories!!, 10 Oct 2011
This review is from: Unusual Suspects (Audio CD)
Listening to Leslie West's recent release takes me back to the Empire Theatre in Edinburgh over thirty years ago. I saw Mountain live and to this day it remains one of the best 10 concerts I have attended.

I can still recall visiting Bruce's record store in Rose Street, Edinburgh a few years before the concert and hearing that unmistakable tone. We were shown the LP cover, listened a little longer, and came out of the shop with Mountain Climbing. A little later Nantucket Sleighride was released; to this day this is one of a few albums where every track is a killer.

Thank you Leslie for nearly forty years of joy!

The new album contains great blues, rock and even pop. My favourites, so far, are Third Degree and Love You Forever.

Music like this makes the rain glisten and your personal problems manageable!!!

Leopardefell
Leopardefell
Price: 17.23

5.0 out of 5 stars bayernkenny, 10 Oct 2009
This review is from: Leopardefell (Audio CD)
Solo album by singer from BAP who hail from Koln (Southside - Neustadt-Sud). Album contains 17 covers of well known and less well known Bob Dylan songs; highlights are opening Unfassbar Viel Regen (A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall) and Jeder Ist Manchmal Einsam, Nicht Nur Du (It's All Over Now Baby Blue). As in BAP albums most of the lyrics are 'Kolnische'. The band playing on this album sound like a cross between BAP and the E-Street band. What a find; bought all three solo albums in Saturn, Koln. Great addition to any English speakers who have already discovered BAP as on the the world's last great rock bands.