Profile for Born in the Bronx 5 > Reviews

Content by Born in the Br...

Born in the Bronx 5

Page: 1 | 2
Kitchen Craft Re-Usable Non-Stick Grill Bags - Set of 3
Kitchen Craft Re-Usable Non-Stick Grill Bags - Set of 3

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good But..., 10 May 2015
I really like these bags, but I've found they can tear easily. After use I turn the bags inside out to make it easier to gently scrub food off them while washing them, and one time when I was doing this a bad tear developed as I was trying to get a corner turned inside out. I thought I must have been too careless, but it happened again later with a different bag, when I was trying to be careful. I don't know if part of the problem is that I was using hot water and this made the bag weaker while it was hot, all I know is that this is a potential weakness to be aware of.

aLLreli® 7 in 1 Micro USB OTG Adapter Card Reader + HUB Cable - for New Google Nexus 7 2 II 2013 FHD | Motorola Moto G Xoom | Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2 Note 4 / 3 | Galaxy Note 8.0 / 10.1 2014 Edition Tab 3 / pro 12.2 / 10.1 / 8.4 / Tab S 8.4 / 10.5 / 13.3 | HTC One M8 | Nokia Lumia 2520 | Tesco HUDL 7" plus | Toshiba encore | Acer Iconia | Asus Memo Pad HD | Lenove Thinkpad 8 IdeaTab | LG G3 Pad | Sony Xperia Z2 / Z1 / Ultra | Dell Venue 7 / 8 / Pro Android Smart Phone Tablet PC

1.0 out of 5 stars An appalling experience, 28 May 2014
I bought this powered hub in order to transfer data between a hard drive and a tablet. The first time I noticed a burning smell and saw smoke coming from the hub; after I disconnected it, I discovered that the hard drive no longer worked and that none of the data on it was retrievable. I wrote to the company requesting replacement of the hub and in their reply they demanded that I test it again to be sure it really no longer worked.

This requirement made no sense to me--if the first time it was used it produced smoke and destroyed a hard drive, surely it was defective and there was a serious risk the same would happen if it was used again? Nevertheless, I assumed the company knew what it was doing and so carried out the test. The result was what I had feared, except this time it was the tablet that was destroyed rather than the hard drive.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 12, 2015 5:19 PM GMT

aLLreli® 5V 2A DC PSU 3 Pin UK Power Supply Adaptor 3-in-1 Adapter For aLLreli HDMI Splitter Switch Hub | Card Reader / Hub | OTG Adapter | Android Tablet PC eReader - 2000mah with 3 Connectors 5.5*2.5mm 5.5*1.7mm 3.5*1.35mm

1.0 out of 5 stars An appalling experience, 28 May 2014
I bought this powered hub and power supply in order to transfer data between a hard drive and a tablet. The first time I noticed a burning smell and saw smoke coming from the hub; after I pulled the plug, I discovered that the hard drive no longer worked and that none of the data on it was retrievable. I wrote to the company requesting replacement of the hub and power supply, and in their reply they demanded that I test these two items again to be sure they really no longer worked.

This requirement made no sense to me--if the first time they were used they produced smoke and destroyed a hard drive, surely they were defective and there was a serious risk the same would happen if they were used again? Nevertheless, I assumed the company knew what they were doing and so carried out the test. The result was what I had feared, except this time it was the tablet that was destroyed rather than the hard drive. I requested compensation from the company for the hard drive that had been destroyed. A long correspondence with the company then ensued, in which they imposed one obstacle after another before they would agree compensation, and I eventually gave up. This is the worst experience I have ever had with an online purchase.

ECCO Shoes Women's Jab Sandal Triple Velcro Burnt Ochre Slingbacks 23805357043 5 UK, 38 EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Ecco women's jap sandal triple velcro burnt ochre slingbacks, 10 Aug. 2013
An amazingly comfortable sanadal. Velcro straps allows adjustment as the day goes on should your feet feel swollen. Really really wonderful to walk on this sandal! Feels like walking on air.

M.F.L Edinburgh

Somewhere I Belong
Somewhere I Belong
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful singer/musician, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Somewhere I Belong (Audio CD)
I've only played this CD once, but I think it will be one of my favourite CDs. She has a very good voice, but more than that an exceptional ability to convey the words of a song. I listened to the CD while exercising, and (unhelpfully) burst into laughter hearing her rendition of "A fine romance." I have loved the Louis Armstrong/Ella Fitzgerald version, but Mok's delivery of the lines (e.g., "you're calmer than the seals in the artic ocean, at least they flap their fins to express emotion") was even better. And she is a wonderful torch singer on "Wicked Game"--has the same power, drive and musicality as Adele at her best. All in all, a delight.

ECCO Offroad, Men's Athletic Sandals, Black, 9.5/10 UK (44 EU)
ECCO Offroad, Men's Athletic Sandals, Black, 9.5/10 UK (44 EU)

5.0 out of 5 stars World's most comfortable sandals?, 25 Feb. 2013
I bought my first pair of these sandals several years ago, and have been wearing a pair every day for the last two years (moved to Tenerife....). They are absolutely outstanding. When I discovered how much I loved them and tried to buy a second pair online in the U.S., I was surprised to discover how difficult it was to find them. I found it hard to believe that people didn't like them, but when I spoke to a dealer I learned that the problem was that they were the only sandal recommended by an American podiatrist organization (don't remember the title), and so at that time they just couldn't make enough to satisfy the demand. Don't know if that is still true, but these sandals are incredibly comfortable and, I now know, very, very durable. And also, in my eyes, very attractive. I should add, though, that the pair I recently bought from Amazon in the UK were not the ones shown in the picture. The picture showed sandals with some gold trim, but the ones I received were pure black and not as attractive. But still absolutely worth the money.

8 Classic Albums [Audio CD] Duke Ellington
8 Classic Albums [Audio CD] Duke Ellington

4.0 out of 5 stars Great introduction to Ellington, 25 Feb. 2013
I've never had an Elllington CD before buying this one. I had a vague image of him as a big-band leader of inconsequential background music (anyone who knows jazz will already realize how new I am to jazz and how little I know) and was very pleasantly surprised by how deeply musical and inventive he is. I didn't like everything (would have been impossible with 8 albums), but this a wonderful introduction to his music, at a remarkable price.

The Gentle Hawk
The Gentle Hawk
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Gentle Hawk (Audio CD)
I've only recently discovered Coleman Hawkins and love the others CDs of his that I've heard, but this one sounds phony to me, a sort-of smooth, popular sound with no feeling. It sounds to me like he made it just for the money, without caring at all about the music. The Impulse 2-on-1s (one with Ellington and Coltrane, the other with him as the main performer) are far, far better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2015 7:38 PM BST

Impulse 2-on-1: Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins and John Coltrane
Impulse 2-on-1: Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins and John Coltrane

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful CDs, and excellent value, 25 Feb. 2013
I'm still new to jazz, learning what I like, and Coleman Hawkins is one of my favourite performers. His gentle approach, with deep musicality, really appeals to me, and this set is lyrical and beautiful.

The Program (Tim Rackley Novels)
The Program (Tim Rackley Novels)
by Gregg Hurwitz
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 25 Feb. 2013
I bought this because I loved another of Hurwitz's books, but was really disappointed by this one, which I found formulaic and trite. Haven't had the motivation to try to figure out why the difference between the two(was this an early one?), but I really, really didn't like it.

Page: 1 | 2