Profile for Jack Oliver > Reviews

Content by Jack Oliver

Jack Oliver (Cornwall, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Blood On The Tracks
Blood On The Tracks
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Album title meaning?, 23 Aug 2011
This review is from: Blood On The Tracks (Audio CD)
In this perfect song-cycle ('Blood on the Tracks') Dylan articulates what most of us can only vaguely feel. I've listened to it regularly since its release when I was a teenager and always find the songs fresh and relevant.
Something I've wondered is just what the title alludes to. Initially I thought it was blood on the (vinyl) record's tracks. But then, it could be blood spilled while traveling around (in the 'making tracks' sense). Then again, it could be a reference to blood on 'tracks' during intravenous drug use.
Anyroadup, it's a groovy title to an amazing work of genius!

Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard
Logitech diNovoEdge Keyboard

5.0 out of 5 stars Works with Apple!, 14 Oct 2008
This keyboard works great with my Apple iBook laptop rigged up to my plasma tv screen... I got the impression that it only worked with PC computers, which was fine because I also use a Vaio laptop, but I was delighted to find that it works perfectly with my iBook... in particular using Microsoft Word and Final Draft, as well as all the other Apple applications. I thought folk would want to know this, because Logitech say it only works with PCs.
It's a very cool keyboard - nice key action, etc. Highly recommend.
P.S. Oh yeah, my old iBook isn't Bluetooth, but when I stuck the supplied Bluetooth USB stick in... the keyboard flies like a bird...

Epson Stylus R1800 A3+ Colour Inkjet Photo Printer
Epson Stylus R1800 A3+ Colour Inkjet Photo Printer

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall excellent printer, 5 April 2008
I'm a keen amateur photographer and have owned the R1800 for about 3 years now. I've printed on most sizes and types of paper (though not roll paper) and CDs.
Overall I'm very pleased with this printer. It produces sharp, clear prints right to the edges (borderless) with excellent colour reproduction. If you've not printed at A3 before then it's quite a jaw-dropping experience to see such a great picture come out of the printer. All paper finishes seem to work well - I particularly like the colour saturation achieved on matte archival paper.
One word of warning: don't use non-Epson inks!! I tried once and will never do so again. The colours were lousy and they clogged the print heads. It took some time to get things back to normal.
The only real criticism I have is ink cost. A full set of inks costs about 80-90 and if you're making large colour prints they'll need replacing depressingly quickly. (Hence my experiment with non-Epson inks.) It would be very useful to see if there's an accurate comparison of the amount of ink different printers use; please email me if you've seen one. I'm going to look into CIS (continuous ink system) to see if this may help reduce costs.

Corsair 2GB USB 2.0 Rugged, Water and Shock Resistant Flash Drive (CMFUSB2.0-1GB)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 17 Mar 2008
I've had my Corsair 2GB flash drive for about 2 years now and I'm totally satisfied; it's write speed is quite fast and it has functioned reliably. These little things are so useful!

Le Creuset Cast Iron Wok with Glass Lid, 36 cm, Cerise
Le Creuset Cast Iron Wok with Glass Lid, 36 cm, Cerise
Price: 135.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect wok?, 7 Mar 2008
Although quite pricey, this is a wonderful, versatile pan to own. I use it frequently for stir-fry cooking with consistently good results. It's so easy to put ingredients to the side while frying other ingredients, then mix them together. This pan is a perfect fit on my electric hob - the base is exactly the same diameter as the small ring, thus optimising the heat distribution. Also, it's fun to use! So, dig deep into your wallet and get wokking!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to my kitchen, 7 Mar 2008
I've used my 'grillit' for frying steaks, with very satisfying results; the steak cooks with a barbeque-style ribbed pattern on the surface. Also, the design helps fat to drain away which must be a health advantage. I do agree with one other reviewer - food tends to stick to the ribs and is difficult to clean very easily, I leave it to soak overnight then clean it.

Ex-Pro 32 inch 80cm 5-in-1 Photographic Light Reflector - Silver/Gold/Black/White/Translucent
Price: 14.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multi-function reflector, 7 Mar 2008
Just as described and excellent value-for-money; will add fill to any photograph taken with flash or available light. Reasonably well-made - a good value alternative if Lastolite reflectors are beyond your budget. A valuable accessory for any serious photographer. Folds up to fit in an easy to carry pouch; watch out when you open it for the first time... it suddenly pops up to full size - quite a surprise!

Hama Star 75 Tripod with Carry Case
Hama Star 75 Tripod with Carry Case
Offered by liGo
Price: 10.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 7 Mar 2008
I bought 2 of these to support Nikon SB-600 Speedlights in a multi-flash set-up. They're well made with excellent features - astonishing for the price. Not sure about the solidity of support for serious SLR usage, they're a bit on the flimsy side, but outstanding value-for-money.

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb box set, 1 Mar 2008
At the risk of sounding smug, I didn't buy the series sets as they came out and made do with video recordings and repeats until the inevitable complete set arrived. I'm glad I waited, this is probably the best made box set of any TV show ever made.
I sympathise with those who bought the series sets and now feel cheated. But this is so good I'd recommend they flog their sets on eBay and buy this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very useful but poor build quality, 1 Mar 2008
It's great to be able to use your own favourite headphones with your Sony Ericsson mobile phone. Also, when making calls the clip-on mic is handy. But this is the second of these I've bought (I don't know of any other that is better made) and both have fallen apart soon after using. The casing of the mic part falls into two pieces.
I know this is a third-party product - why doesn't Sony Ericsson make a quality component to allow you to use your own headphones? Is it simply that they want to sell you their own headphones? For me, this is almost annoying enough to switch mobile phone brand.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3