Profile for MH Darlington > Reviews

Content by MH Darlington

MH Darlington "Martin Darlington" (Shropshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Far Cry 3 - The Lost Expeditions Edition (PS3)
Far Cry 3 - The Lost Expeditions Edition (PS3)
Offered by clickforgamesltd
Price: 32.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, could be better, 13 May 2013
I bought this after playing the wonderful Red Dead Redemption and immediately found the similarities mentioned in other reviews. I've enjoyed discovering my way around the island but as the game has progressed I find I'm more and more insistently channelled to the next mission rather than being allowed to, say, go and open up another area of the map by visiting a radio mast. Or completing a side-mission of which there are plenty.
At times in Red Dead Redemption I found myself without much idea about how to progress the storyline so I would do a couple of side missions and then the story would catch up and move me along.
Far Cry 3 seems to have moved too far in the opposite direction.
And (last criticism) a couple of the recent missions have involved a disappointingly mindless Call of Duty level of shooting lots and lots of bad-guys who weren't there a minute ago!
Overall however, this is a beautifully crafted game with an involving storyline and a wide variety of tasks and missions to complete. The characters aren't quite as sympathetic as John Marston in RDR but they'll keep you interested and amused.
So a solid 4-star game and well worth the money now that you can get it for well under 30

Refuge
Refuge
Price: 2.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly compelling read, 4 Jan 2012
This review is from: Refuge (Kindle Edition)
I had read "The Penal Colony" also by Richard Herley mainly as I had a new Kindle and it was recommended and free. I enjoyed it a whole lot more than I expected and so sought some more work by Mr Herley.
His breadth and depth of knowledge shows either an encyclopaedic knowledge or a huge amount of research and yet the detail on a whole range of subjects from parasitology to botany to modern firearms technology and a whole lot more very rarely intrude on the flow of the book. I found myself relating to John Suter, his main character, far more than I would have thought and although the descriptions of the dark side of his novel are quite explicit, they never feel gratuitous.
Overall, a really enjoyable thriller-cum-psychological study of the human condition which I can heartily recommend.

Robin Hood - Extended Director's Cut [DVD]
Robin Hood - Extended Director's Cut [DVD]
Dvd ~ Russell Crowe
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars 2.5 hours I'll never get back, 28 May 2011
Very disappointing. Did anyone else feel they were waiting for it to get going and then suddenly realised that they were at the climax scene? Come on Ridley Scott AND Russel Crowe. Playing fast with history (or to be kind, presenting an alternative possibility of myth and legend) is one thing but this was just... dull. It certainly was no Gladiator.

Life On Mars : Complete BBC Series 1 [2006] [DVD]
Life On Mars : Complete BBC Series 1 [2006] [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Simm
Offered by signalboyblue
Price: 17.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting, original, clever and compelling. But...., 29 July 2009
I found this first series of Life on Mars compelling. The characters were both diverse and yet complimentary and the stories were wonderfully absorbing in themselves and yet each one would also open a door onto an aspect of Sam's childhood or history.
The series captured the feel of the early seventies (I'm pretty much the same age as Sam so have similar memories of that period) and it made me realise just how radically life has changed over the past thirty years.
Towards the end of the series however, I began to become slightly irritated by the manner in which Sam was always right, with no room for doubt at all and this is the reason that I've not given the series a full five star rating.
I'll expand on this in my review of series two, where I feel the problems that began to emerge in series one grew to the stage that I am, as I write, two episodes from the end and finding it a struggle to remain as captivated as I was at the start of series one.
And is it just me that has begun to find Annie annoying? Ok, maybe it is.

Tourist Trophy - Platinum (PS2)
Tourist Trophy - Platinum (PS2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, runs well but....., 13 July 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
For a PS2 game this looks really good, the bikes, tracks and scenery are very well portrayed as befits the makers of the Gran Turismo series (players who have seen the GT series will recognise a lot of the tracks and detail touches) and there is a huge range of races and challenges to complete.
Unlike the car game you don't so much develop your bike as buy new ones but there's just something missing that leaves one a bit flat. Whether it's the lack of a 'proper' race series to compete in or the scarcity of tracks that host MotoGP or WSB (probably due to licensing issues) I'm not sure but I can't get past a summary of "It's good, but not great".

MotoGP 08 (PS3)
MotoGP 08 (PS3)
Offered by SamuelUKMedia
Price: 17.95

4.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better, 13 July 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MotoGP 08 (PS3) (Video Game)
MotoGP 08 brings a new dimension to the series inasmuch as, in career mode, you have to start at 125cc level and gather Championship points to develop your bike and attract bigger and better teams' offers for future seasons.
The career mode is run over five seasons and it's up to the player whether you want to jump up as soon as possible to 250cc and then MotoGP, accepting less able teams, or consolidate in the lower classes before making the move to a higher level.
The racing model has far less of the usual problems that most bike racing games suffer from but they are still there; far too grippy grass, gravel and rain-soaked tracks although this is adjustable to a degree plus other riders who bang into you, knock you over or at least into the kitty litter and then ride on without harm (although I did manage to wipe out half the field into the first corner at Jerez!) but overall it feels like a properly developed bike racing game.
There is little difference between the PS2 and PS3 games (I've had them both) except the clarity of the graphics and it's highly recommended.

MotoGP 08 (PS2)
MotoGP 08 (PS2)
Offered by mr__shackleford
Price: 29.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It just gets better, 13 July 2009
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MotoGP 08 (PS2) (Video Game)

Troy Bayliss Story - Narrated by Ewan McGregor [DVD]
Troy Bayliss Story - Narrated by Ewan McGregor [DVD]
Price: 14.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, informative and revealing, 13 July 2009
Troy Bayliss has long had a reputation as both an incredibly determined and competitive racer whilst being a quiet, polite and humorous fellow away from the track.
This documentary, detailing his life from his youth through the uncertainty of his early racing career to becoming double World WSB Champion confirms what we'd all believed; this is a remarkable man. He has been ultra-competitive throughout his career, ultra-talented too and yet he has clearly never let racing change or blight his natural good humour and humanity.
His race-day routine includes getting up early, going across to the team hospitality tent and picking up breakfast which he then takes to his wife in their motorhome. It could sound a bit twee but in the context of this man it sums him up.
A legend who appears completely oblivious of his status, I thoroughly enjoyed learning more about (to steal the other reviewer's title - apologies!) the Wizard of Oz.
My only wish would be for an updated version to include his remarkable 2008 season, becoming a triple World Champion and his thoughts on retirement and the future. Here's hoping!

Company of Liars
Company of Liars
by Karen Maitland
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing yet faintly disappointing, 13 July 2009
This review is from: Company of Liars (Paperback)
Overall I have to say that I enjoyed Company of Liars. It was absorbing from the first pages and quickly built up a detailed and effective atmosphere of the bleakness of the times. The descriptions of the environment are wonderfully evocative without ever becoming long-winded.
Karen Maitland is skilled at creating characters with whom we can empathise and associate with, in this case Camelot, outwardly a seller of holy relics but to us, the readers, a self-confessed seller of hope.
The almost paranormal elements of the story are cleverly introduced and I found myself more than once with a few goosebumps and the odd shiver down the spine (forgive what seem like cliches but it's pretty much how parts of the book made me feel). The feeling of apocalyptic doom descending over a country in the grip of the Black Death was wonderfully conveyed but....
I would like to have given this book three and a half stars but I can't do that. And I couldn't quite bring myself to give it four as I feel the ending(s) left me with a feeling of profound disappointment.
The twist is rather obvious from quite early in the book and yet this isn't the main disappointment. It's the feeling I had that the author either didn't know how to end the story or that she was under pressure from her publisher to get it finished by a deadline and had to rush.
Either way, the build-up and development of the story were let down by the ending which is a shame as I'd found myself unable to put the book down in the earlier stages.
That said, I'd still read her next book.

The Fast Stuff: Twenty years of top bike racing tales from the world's maddest motorsport
by Mat Oxley

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fast Stuff is the Top Stuff, 13 July 2009
Matt Oxley, former racer turned journalist, has put together a brilliant series of stories from the world of bike racing.
I'm tempted to describe his book as one which you can read in snippets but, although in theory a reader could indeed pick it up, read the next article then put it down again, the reality of my experience was that I devoured the book in a couple of days, wandering around my house with it glued to my nose (metaphorically speaking, of course!) and nearly walking into doors, girlfriend, walls, treading on cats etc.
If one story doesn't ripple your waves, be assured that the next one will. My only disappointment was the brevity of the book. Not that it's a particularly short book but I'm sure that Mr Oxley could fill ten such volumes.
Superb reading for anyone but if, like me, you have a passion for motorcycle racing and find the lack of depth of information frustrating, this book will prove to be utterly satisfying.

Page: 1 | 2