Profile for D. W. Chester > Reviews

Content by D. W. Chester

D. W. Chester (Woking, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Aerolatte Black Milk Frother
Aerolatte Black Milk Frother
Price: 9.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Froth it up!, 10 May 2012
I bought this frother to replace a very similar one my wife bought in the high street. That one died a death quickly so I wasn't keen to pay much for a replacement! I found this one on Amazon and it was even cheaper than currently advertised, at only 8.39 so how could I lose? I was astonished to find that even comes with batteries at this price!
Despite the really low price this is actualy a great little frother and better than the one wifie bought in the shops. It's great for the finishing touch to a latte or hot chocolate and the kids use it to make their nesquik a bit more exciting.
I really cannot recommend this enough. We've all been using this regularly for a month now and it still works fine. The plastic case is a nice touch too.

HP W2558hc 25" Widescreen Flat Panel LCD Monitor, Built in Webcam and Card Reader, 1920x1200 Resolution, 3ms, 3000:1 Contrast Ratio

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb monitor, 30 Dec 2011
Hewlett-Packard make a fine top-end monitor with a crystal clear glass smooth surface to produce outstanding clarity and colour. If you like glossy monitors and you can find one of these, buy it before I do! I have two of these and would like some more but these are very hard to come by now. The description does not mention that they also provide a remote control which is in a recess behind the screen which controls the playback of images or movies from the flash card reader. There is also a light at the bottom with three brightness levels and off. 2 HDMI inputs and a DVI gives you total flexibility. If you are the type of person who is worried about reflections from these glossy screen monitors then you should try one. The decent ones have a special coating to minimise refelctions as much as possible but obviously if you have your back to a window or something bright then you will get some refelction however the incredible sharpness that the gloss provides by far out-weighs the cons. Matt screens just cannot provide this level of sharpness. The tilt and height adjustment of this range of monitors finishes it off nicely. I also have some of these in 22 and 24 inch around the office although not as highly specced are all high quality and trouble free.

Apollo 18 [Blu-ray]
Apollo 18 [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Warren Christie
Offered by filmrollen
Price: 3.58

2.0 out of 5 stars You will only watch this once..., 30 Dec 2011
This review is from: Apollo 18 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I had high expectations of this movie. It's been a long time since we had a good space horror flick and to bring in the Apollo moon missions was a brilliant idea. Unfortunately, however, this movie is total rubbish and does not deliver. If you liked the dire Paranormal Activity then you might like this but to me it's just another shakey fakey handy-cam movie. Sometimes this works but for me and my family it almost never does. Some have mentioned that this movie is in black and white - it is not, but the colour is very washed out and is actually pretty realistic for old footage of a 70s moon mission. The acting is good and the idea is a great one, but the very brief glimpses of the "aliens" are not in the slightest bit scary or even exciting. It is pointless getting this on Blu-Ray as it's almost all low def stuff. In fact I would say it is pointless getting this at all. I have given 2 stars because the acting and realism is very good, but the plot is almost non-existent as are the aliens and the silly jerky handy-cam footage you have to suffer with just a few glimpses of something that might have moved are just so intensely irritating. It's in the pile marked "don't bother watching again" along with Phone Booth, Paranormal Activity and The Fourth Kind. If you have to see it, rent it, or wait until it's in th bargain bucket on DVD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2012 12:09 PM BST

Bose In-Ear Headphones / Earphones
Bose In-Ear Headphones / Earphones

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but be careful where you buy them!, 3 Dec 2011
I bought a pair of these Bose earphones for my son as he had trashed the ones that came with his phone.

The sound quality was superb and in fact I was so impressed that I bought a second pair myself from a different seller. That was my mistake. The pair I received sounded really wooly and although they were in a very similar leather pouch with authentic looking Bose documentation there were some subtle differences between these and the ones I had bought for my son.

I would recommend the genuine Bose in ear phones but do be careful where you buy them from as there are obviously cheap copies about that do not perform.

Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Clutch Racing Wheel (PC CD)
Thrustmaster RGT Force Feedback Clutch Racing Wheel (PC CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good price, 2 Nov 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this wheel for myself as I wanted one with a clutch. As another reviewer pointed out this is a bit odd with sequential gear shift but it does work. I have had this wheel quite a while now and it has never given me a moments trouble.
I spent quite some time looking for a decent wheel. There don't seem to be many about these days and a couple of them are extremely expensive and I couldn't warrant spending 225 on a steering wheel for a computer game during a recession, so this one came in at the right price. Not cheap and cheerful, but a quality wheel and I think this is a great wheel for the price. The force feedback is excellent and the buttons and levers are strong and don't look or feel like they will break off like my last ones did! Note that we also have the cheaper Ferrari Experience rumble wheel which I bought for my son. I like them both, but the RGT is a better wheel with its force feedback making the most difference for me and it also feels more solid. I actually stopped using the clutch as it isn't really necessary in the games I have been playing but nice to have it available just in case.
I have no hisitation in recommending this racing wheel.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2010 9:01 PM GMT

BlackBerry Desktop Charging Pod for 9500 Storm - Silver
BlackBerry Desktop Charging Pod for 9500 Storm - Silver
Offered by FoneM8store
Price: 0.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice dock, 5 July 2009
I bought this desk stand/charging pod for my son as he needed a second charger and this is a great buy including the desk stand which holds the Storm sideways.
I was a bit surprised that mine came not retail packaged but just in a bulk OEM type wrapper but that is irrelevant.
This is a good quality product and I most definitely would recommend it.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2010 11:02 AM BST

Phone Booth [Blu-ray]
Phone Booth [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Forest Whitaker
Price: 10.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Hated it, 5 July 2009
This review is from: Phone Booth [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I wished I had not bought this movie. It is so far-fetched and unlikely. Any real person would just have put the phone down and walked away but the writer has made this "victim" so ridiculous that he falls further and further into the trap.
I watched this movie once when it came out. I have not watched it since and have no desire to suffer it ever again.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 19, 2010 6:37 PM BST

Samsung DVD-SH875M/XEU Freeview+ 250GB HDMI Hard Drive Recorder
Samsung DVD-SH875M/XEU Freeview+ 250GB HDMI Hard Drive Recorder

3.0 out of 5 stars Well I like it!, 22 Oct 2008
I was amazed to read the reviews by the others here.
I have had this unit a while now and never had a moments trouble with it! It works well and the timer menu is easy to use. Not sure why people complain about the little front panel display because you don't use that you use the on-screen menus!
Yes there is a delay from the remote in some respects like if you press 1 for channel one you have to wait but if you press 001 it is instant. Yes some of the menu options take a second or two to load but I do not find myself cursing it and I can set up the timer to record a program in seconds. The 15 minutes suggested by someone else is presumably a joke.
I have had 2 other DVD recorder units previously which were aweful picture quality recordings and voice out of sync etc and immediately sent them back but this Samsung unit produces excellent quality recordings in FR mode that it uses with Freeview recording.
There is one issue that bugs me which is mentioned by someone else and that is that the timer will not record something while the unit is ON so if you are watching a DVD or a HDD recording the timer will not start recording. This is BAD Samsung. No excuse. BAD. I would have given it 4 stars if it were not for this. The specs mention that you can record whilst you watch a previously recorded movie but this is pretty pointless if you cannot do it automatically!

I Am Legend [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
I Am Legend [Blu-ray] [2007] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Will Smith
Price: 5.76

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a legend!, 4 May 2008
Simply Awesome.

Yes there were some parts edited out which you see in the alternate version and clarify the facts that you know were ignored - don't want to give anything away - but this did not detract from an awesome movie and a truely excellent performance by Will Smith. Personally I didn't like the alternative ending but some viewers may like the additional closure that it brings.

One I will be watching over and over.

Commando [Blu-ray] [1985]
Commando [Blu-ray] [1985]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Price: 5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Ray disaster, 4 May 2008
I love this movie. It is one of my all time favorites.

I am, thereofore, extremely annoyed that the idiots who produced this Blu-ray version thought it would be acceptable to use the old-hat MPEG2 compression rather than a modern Hi-Def commpression format. The result is a fuzzy mess barely better than DVD. There is no excuse for this. If you can make an old old old movie like 2001 have perfect picture quality on transfer to HD formats then you can certainly do it with any other. Come on studios... Wake up!

The sound, however, is excellent with options of DTS HD Master 5.1 or Dolby Digital 5.1

My Verdict: Save your money, buy the DVD and upscale it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2009 3:02 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6