Profile for Mr. R. Brown > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. Brown

Mr. R. Brown "Richard L Brown" (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2
Gold Plated BNC Socket to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug Adaptor
Gold Plated BNC Socket to 3.5mm Mono Jack Plug Adaptor
Offered by Sound Cables

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 2 Oct. 2014
lovely accessory to my Degen 1103 receiver to allow for external antenna options.

AGM® DEGEN DE1103 FM/MW/SW/LW Shortwave Dual World Digital Radio Receiver
AGM® DEGEN DE1103 FM/MW/SW/LW Shortwave Dual World Digital Radio Receiver

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking little radio. Thanks China!, 2 Oct. 2014
I've been ill today with an ear infection so what better time to stay at home in bed with the Degen 1103. I opened the box with excitement as I'd heard that this little beauty has a very sensitive front end. I connected the included long wire antenna and had a tune around - on SSB of course. Performance is outstanding it's much more lively than my aor8600 but obviously can't be compared.

I have no problems recommending this radio to a new comer to the hobby or radio professionals alike.

Oh it's also brilliant on FM too with a nice wide frequency coverage. Selectivity is superb.

Dazzling Darkness
Dazzling Darkness
by Rachel Mann

5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling Darkness - a very peculiar book?, 1 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dazzling Darkness (Paperback)
Who could resist a book which brings together Greek philosophy, atonement theory, gender stereotypes and poetry? The owner of our local bookshop wasn't so sure, though. When my husband went to collect the copy I'd ordered, she interrogated him to make sure it was the correct book. `There are several Browns who have ordered stuff,' she said, `So I just need to make sure it's the right one. You see, I read the back cover, and it does all sound rather.... peculiar!'

If Rachel Mann's Dazzling Darkness is considered too much for residents of rural Aberdeenshire to cope with, it's their loss, as it sets out an understanding of the real message of Jesus which is far more genuine, generous and life-affirming than many theological tomes which are twice as long. As Rachel stresses - in a completely non self-pitying way - Jesus didn't come for the respectable folk but society's outcasts, the `freaks, the half-mad, the second-rate yet glorious bunch' as Rachel describes them, as they have no vested interests and are prepared to take the risks needed to create the kingdom of Heaven on earth. Her own journey from spaced out hippy to committed priest is told with complete honesty; she discusses her mistakes, her hormonal mood swings, and her ongoing accommodation with the nastier aspects of Crohn's disease quite dispassionately, thankfully sparing the reader the `misery memoir' type of gory detail. Her focus is not on the problem but the solution. Hers is the liberal, generous and imaginative version of Christianity which is so attractive to those of us who love Jesus but don't care for the church much, especially when it gets its teeth into the nasty stuff about atonement theory, which Rachel rapidly sees off without a backward glance. She is equally effective at zapping all the other pernicious rubbish which passes for `Christian' belief: homophobia, misogyny and that entire `bag'.

If it is to survive in a wholesome form, Jesus' message in a post-Christian world needs more people like Rachel to tell it out. I am convinced that so many of us turn away from the traditional churches because we don't see others there like ourselves. We do see there the conventional, the traditional, and the rule followers, who (assuming they are truthful about their actions!) may be very nice people but have nothing to say to those of us who rage against the injustices of the world, who challenge, question and wonder. Even worse, many of these `nice' people are quite happy to consign those of us who don't accept their own rigid and cruel take on Christianity to eternal damnation - a church local to me even states this openly on its website. They see themselves getting into Heaven on a free ticket - but won't they be surprised when they get there to see Rachel and her friends have arrived already and are enjoying the party! I hope Rachel's work continues to grow and develop for as Jesus would put it `hers in the kingdom of Heaven'. If you thought Jesus' message was all about not doing things and toeing the party line, Dazzling Darkness will quickly disabuse you of that one!

As an ex-university lecturer who is forever grumbling about the decline of literacy standards, I was delighted to find I never needed my red pen on this text - the book is beautifully written and expresses complex ideas in simple and elegant form, as you might expect from a poet. My only minor quibble is about the slightly weird cover design. It might be intended to represent alpha and omega, but as my (admittedly unpoetic) husband pointed out, it rather looks like a pink florescent toilet, and for a book which refers to the challenges of living with Crohn's disease this is possibly not the best image! But ignore the cover and enjoy the book!

Dr Mary Brown
Freelance Education Consultant
Banchory
Scotland

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmm not sure!, 17 Feb. 2012
Not too pleased with this. Sensitivity is pretty poor - not used it too often and will probably sell sooner rather than later. Don't get me wrong; it may be okay for airshow use but for every day portable operation i'd be happier with the old yupi 7100.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 3, 2014 9:03 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart and comfortable, 17 Feb. 2012
I have wanted a pair of tassel loafers for some time and these fit the bill perfectly. Decent price; I opened up the white box and was very pleased to see the shiny shoes smiling back at me! Not only were they comfortable from day one, they look the part. I recommend these if you enjoy looking smart and feeling like a fashionable man

Luger DA 10x42 Binocular Black
Luger DA 10x42 Binocular Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, first time, 4 Nov. 2011
I purchased these binoculars to upgrade from the "bog standard" cheap ebay ones I had bought years ago. I've had them for a couple of days and am pleased to say that they have fulfilled my expectations. I use them for deer stalking so gaining light in tricky conditions is very much a prime concern. These are brilliant - when looking out with the naked eye what you may see could be 2/3 times darker than when viewing with these binoculars. That enhanced light can give me another 10/15 minutes stalking time which is invaluable.

New Military Royale Swiss Design Mens Black Square Dial White Numbers Rubber Band Army Wrist Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Big, chunky and stylish, 3 July 2011
I took one look at the price and didn't quite believe it. Compared to the majority of watches in the same category this one fitted the bill. I like the military style, big face and sturdy metallic casing - it looks like the designers did a good job.

A Complete Guide to the Soul
A Complete Guide to the Soul
by Patrick Harpur

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul review, 8 July 2010
I'm sure there are many of us who are termed `spiritual searchers' but who are essentially searching for answers to the question of what this life is all about, and challenging the idea that it's the only reality, as the militant atheist brigade would have us believe. Given that the Christian church is forever complaining that people like me are giving up on it, one might imagine that it could offer some sort of answers. However, my latest question to some Anglican priests about the afterlife brought answers which ranged from `dunno', `it's really nice', to `it's really SELFISH to expect an afterlife - this one should be enough for anybody'. As to the idea that Jesus could come back from other dimensions and enjoy fish and chips with his disciples - impossible! The resurrection was a `metaphor' and not to be taken literally.

For those of us convinced that there is more in Heaven and Earth that is dreamed of in our philosophy (i.e. I suspect most of us), the work of Patrick Harpur is, literally, a Godsend. I had come across his fascinating work on alchemy, Mercurius, years ago, and was bewitched by its combination of magic and logic. It was both metaphor and physical reality - which is surely what existence is all about. Years later I came across Daimonic Reality: A Field Guide to the Otherworld which brought the same mix of logical thinking and imaginative enquiry to the case of `unexplained phenomena' such as fairies, anomalous animals which seem to pop in and out of our dimension, and UFOs. The answer - that all these are examples of our interaction with other worlds and dimensions with which ours is interlinked - is stunningly simple yet brilliantly logical - a model of good critical enquiry. And for those of us who had experienced such phenomena it is curiously comforting to know that many others have also - and not just the fanciful.

With A Complete Guide to the Soul Harpur brings the same mix of imagination and erudition to the most fundamental of questions; `is this all there is?' He sets off with great gusto in challenging those people like Richard Dawkins or wishy-washy clergy: `Of COURSE it isn't!' and off he goes with all sorts of heart-warming evidence to prove his point. It ought to be the case that the Church does this - but Harpur goes where the Church has become too timid nowadays - he is a shamanic figure who in this book becomes our guide through the regions of sprit where the soul ranges freely.

I would strongly recommend this book to anyone facing serious illness or who has been bereaved as they will find far more comfort in it than a half-hearted/half-baked pep talk from a minister who doesn't believe their own story. And for anyone who is anxious or doubtful about the state of the world and wondering what they can do about it, this book offers some great answers. Research suggests that those people who have a sense of the numinous (as Harpur points out, tribal societies and some fortunate individuals in our culture still do) are mentally and physically healthier, because they can see meaning in existence. So I believe copies of this book should be available free in Health Centres and doctors' surgeries. It's a case of `you'll see it when you believe it', and Harpur lets us see the magic which is still there in our world to be found by the true seeker. In the `age of austerity' which we now face, where we can't distract our need for meaning by buying more `stuff', we particularly need the message of this book. I'm not sure about `chicken soup for the soul', but Harpur certainly provides delicious soul nourishment which leaves the reader refreshed and rejuvenated. Forget recharging your emotional batteries this summer with fraught and expensive holiday trips - buy this book instead!

Dr Mary Brown
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2012 1:39 PM BST

Introduction to SNG and ENG Microwave (Media Manuals)
Introduction to SNG and ENG Microwave (Media Manuals)
by Jonathan Higgins

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite instructional book, 20 Feb. 2010
Johnathan Higgins explains the nature of ENG/SNG very clearly. For anyone wishing to progress their career into this field this book would act as a good starter. Higgins takes you through the basics of the TX/RX technology and leaves you wanting to learn more.

Asics Gel 100 TR X-Training Shoe, Size UK10
Asics Gel 100 TR X-Training Shoe, Size UK10

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool training shoe, 20 Feb. 2010
Cool looking training shoe I wear for running and some gym workouts. It's comfortable and lightweight.

Page: 1 | 2