Profile for Bee > Reviews

Denial - The Varcolac Journals
by Adele Carrington
Price: 7.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very British Vampire, 17 Jan 2013
I'm a fan of vampire literature and as most of it is from US authors I was interested to read this British take on the genre. I found the story original, witty and modern. Faith, the main character, could be any girl in any city so it is easy to empathise with her as she goes on her journey of Denial. The story is firmly set in the north of England but Faith also travels and I enjoyed seeing new cities through her eyes. The end is particularly well written and atmospheric and completely in keeping with the vampire myth.

Sam's Town
Sam's Town
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic follow up, 3 Oct 2006
This review is from: Sam's Town (Audio CD)
I'd been waiting for the follow up to Hot Fuss and was worried that it would prove the 'difficult second album' and disappoint me. Thankfully I was wrong and I think this is a better album than the first. The band sound confident in their sound and Brandon's voice is as charismatic and unique as ever. Bones and Can You read my mind stand out as the best tracks to me (after 2 days listening!) but there is not really a weak track on the album. Highly recommended

Children of Light
Children of Light
by Lucy English

5.0 out of 5 stars The book I wish I'd written, 30 Dec 2003
This review is from: Children of Light (Paperback)
Quite simply this is my favourite book and one I return to whenever I need my spirits lifting. If I could write a novel I would want it to be like this one. This is the story of Mireille, who returns to the South of France village she first visited as achild and later lived in with her bohemian lover Gregor and their child. Full of light and colour the story moves effortlessly between the past and present leaving traces of sunlit days in a stone hut in the South of France and a sense of joy. This book deserves to be more widely known.

The Art of Travel
The Art of Travel
by Alain De Botton

4.0 out of 5 stars more than a journey, 13 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Art of Travel (Paperback)
From the beginning I found this book opening my mind and giving me real insights about why we travel. In each chapter the author chooses a guide to help him through a philosophical consideration of a different element of travel. The poet Wordsworth is called upon to explain why going to the countryside can heal the soul, whilst Van Gogh's paintings throw light on why we are sometimes encouraged to travel by the paintings or art we have enjoyed. The author himself is full of reflections on his own journeys - from anticipation,through the exotic bazaars of the Orient, to the 'poetry' of stations and airports, to the anticlimax of return. Lively, profound and wise this book will help everyone appreciate their travels so much more.