Profile for C. Craven > Reviews

Content by C. Craven

C. Craven (North Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2
3 x 150ml Bottles of Avon Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Body Spray with Jojoba & Citronellol - The Alternative To Insect Repellent
Offered by NS Cosmetics

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice product, 3 Sept. 2014
Pleasant smell, easy to apply and leaves a nice sheen on the skin without feeling greasy. Can't say yet how effective it is as an insect repellent as I've not used it long enough but I've no reason to doubt that it would work.

Aranjuez
Aranjuez
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Sheer brilliance, 22 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Aranjuez (Audio CD)
I already had two of Milos' CDs and I really didn't think they could be bettered. I was wrong. Aranjuez is absolutely, beautifully brilliant. I'm not a connoisseur of classical music, let alone classical guitar, but even I can recognise that the sheer expertise of Milos' guitar playing is simply out of this world. I can listen to this and be transported. Parts of it are full of passion. Other parts can relax me to the point of sleepiness. Yet others can move me to tears. My own personal view is that this is a master of his art, and the results are exquisite.

PhysioRoom Wooden Wobble Board 40cm - Rehabilitation, Balance Board, Treatment, Prevent Knee, Ankle Injuries, Improves Balance, 360 Degrees, Helps Joint Movement, Recovery, Training, Home, Gym - BBW-16

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately not suitable ...., 1 Feb. 2014
This was unfortunately not suitable for my particular injury, which is no fault of the wobble board itself of course, but the gripe I have is with the lack of customer service.

I contacted Physioroom to explain that I would have to return the item. They said they would give me the full refund PROVIDED I sent it back by Royal Mail Special Delivery. (This was really quite unnecessary - I could have sent it back by the less expensive Royal Mail Signed-For process, which still allows the package to be tracked and you get the signature of the person who took delivery at the recipient's end). However, I complied with Physiorooms's stipulation. The actual wobble board cost me £22.99. To send it back cost a whopping £9.60!

Needless to say I didn't get any refund on the postage costs but then I had to chase them up for the refund of £22.99. Eventually I got a refund from Physioroom of £19.99. I pointed out that this was £3 short of the price I had paid and they promised to authorise payment of the remaining £3 that I was owed. This was on January 17th, and over 2 weeks later I am still waiting for the £3.

It's not a fortune I know, but still. "Nil points" for the lack of customer service! I really don't have the time to have to keep chasing them for what should have been a very simple, straightforward refund without all this to-ing and fro-ing of emails (which still hasn't resulted in a satisfactory outcome).

The Guitar
The Guitar

5.0 out of 5 stars Out of this world, 29 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Guitar (Audio CD)
I happened to switch on the TV one day a few months ago, and there he was, being interviewed. I didn't take much notice until he began to play the guitar and then I was truly, utterly mesmerised. It's difficult to describe how magical, beautiful and moving this young man's music is. Hypnotic in parts, it completely transports you into another world. Sometimes passionate, sometimes quirky, always evocative, and sometimes so relaxing that I've actually fallen asleep while listening! I don'tknow much about classical music, or classical guitar, but I do know that this is the best CD I've ever had the good fortue to listen to. I've now got 2 of his CD's and I aim to buy a lot more. He truly is remarkable.

Miss Pym Disposes
Miss Pym Disposes
by Josephine Tey

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't let the cover picture put you off .........., 29 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Miss Pym Disposes (Paperback)
This book is a cracking little thriller, intelligent, enjoyable, well written, it keeps the reader's interest from start to finish. I bought this book as a present for a friend, as I've alreadyy got my own copy that I've had since I first read it when I was about 16 (many years ago!). I must have re-read it at least a dozen times over the years, and despite knowing the ending, I really enjoy it each time. It's set in a girls' college where all is not quite as wholesome as it seems on the surface, and captures the essence of the 1950's without being old-fashioned or stuffy. There's comedy, pathos, and a nice little twist in the tale and the characters are believable, some of them lovable. If you enjoy a good thriller without the blood and gore that is so prevalent in many who-dunnits, this is the book for you. I can heartily recommend it.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes interesting reading ....., 8 Nov. 2012
I found this book more interesting than some others I've read on the subject because of the nature of the author's illness and the fact that he went "deeper" than others who have reported near-death experiences. For someone like me, who is already convinced of an existence after the death of the physical body, it just reaffirms that belief. I imagine it would be much more thought provoking to someone who was either "wavering" about the subject, or had never given it much thought. It does not, however, answer a lot of the questions that such subject matter poses - in my view these are answered more clearly in the "Conversations with God" books by Neale Donald Walsch.

Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking
Quiet: The power of introverts in a world that can't stop talking

5.0 out of 5 stars Hallelujah! At last .........., 15 May 2012
What a brilliant book! A must read for all of us who dislike parties and would much rather see our friends one on one (or maybe two on one) than in a big group; who are bored witless by small talk but love a good debate; who cringe inwardly but act our little socks off and put on a happy face when having to participate in brainstorming, teambuilding, or any of those other wearisome activities at company conferences; who are sociable but yet need time alone now and again to recharge our batteries ...... and so on and so forth .......... you know who you are .......

At last, a book written for the silent near-majority. At last, we can come clean and say yes, I AM AN INTROVERT and that doesn't mean we're peculiar or odd or eccentric .... it just means we're different. Hallelujah and hoo-bloomin'-ray ... not before time!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2013 3:57 PM GMT

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Age no barrier to its appeal, 5 Mar. 2010
I agree with the reviewer who says she's 38 and loved the whole Twilight saga. It transcends age. I'm 60 with a grown up family and I'm completely addicted to it! I'd actually bought the books for my 13 year old granddaughter for Christmas 2008, and peeked inside "Twilight" to make sure that a 'vampire' book was suitable for a 13 year old, and just got completely hooked in ..... and I couldn't put the books down 'til I'd read all 4 from cover to cover. The love story between Bella and Edward is pure magic, up there on a par with the greats - Lizzie Bennett & Mr Darcy, Romeo & Juliet, Cathy & Heathcliff, etc. I've read all the books heaps of times and watched Twilight so many times I've lost count; I just never tire of it. The New Moon film was eagerly awaited and while it's good, and the effects are stunning, I felt that the actual love story between B & E didn't come across as strongly as it did in the Twilight movie. There are parts in the New Moon book - particularly where B has her "epiphany" after they come back from Italy - that move me to tears, they're so breathtakingly beautiful. Of course we all know that a film has to be a very condensed version of a book, but some things are just too pertinent to miss out; not just the "epiphany" scene, but there's a lot of humour in the books (eg Edward carrying Bella in Twilight when she faints at the sight of blood in a Biology class) that is completely missed from the films. The fact that Edward has "a bit of a temper" and is sometimes arrogant - very relevant to the storylines and building a complete picture of a character - is also completely missed from the film versions. Having said all that, I absolutely love the books (and the films to date). Stephenie Meyer is a genius. One last gripe though - what happened to the beautiful song "Let Me Sign" that Robert Pattinson sang in the Twilight film in the scene where Bella had been attacked by vampire James?? Why, oh why, wasn't it included on the CD??????

Conversations with God, Book 1: An Uncommon Dialogue
Conversations with God, Book 1: An Uncommon Dialogue
by Neale Donald Walsch

5.0 out of 5 stars What an uplifting and extraordinary book, 9 Nov. 2009
This book is joyously life changing. It contains so many truths that I personally have "known" deep down inside somewhere, and it answers so many questions that have previously gone unanswered. An extraordinary book indeed. I have just bought another 3 books by the same chap. They are impossible to ignore.

Twilight
Twilight
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic music, 13 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Twilight (Audio CD)
Listening to this music, the score from the film, is very evocative. The music captures perfectly the brooding atmosphere of the film and the breathtaking, utterly beautiful love story that unfolds between Edward and Bella. When I listen to it, it's like having scenes from the movie play in my head. Brilliant! I've had it on constantly in the car since I got it.

Page: 1 | 2