Profile for JSE > Reviews

JSE

Page: 1 | 2
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Feb 2013
What a great product - both the net and the "clamps" are on springs, so it really will fit virtually any table. The fit is firm and secure but because you don't have to tighten anything, it won't damage the table, unlike traditional clamps.

The Dragon Box
The Dragon Box

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dragon Box, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Dragon Box (Kindle Edition)
I read this wonderful book with (well... to!) my nine-year-old son as a bed-time story; and he loved it - so much so that he "grumped" at the end of every chapter because he'd have to wait a whole other day to resolve the cliff-hanger! Highly recommended!

Pompomberry House
Pompomberry House
Price: 1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worst! Book! Ever!, 8 Aug 2012
This review is from: Pompomberry House (Kindle Edition)
The title of this review refers, of course, to 'The Book Of Most Quality Writers' - the truly dreadful (and thankfully entirely fictional) short-story collection created by the principal characters in Rosen Trevithick's brilliant farce - Pompomberry House.

Although a lengthy novel, the experience of reading it is somewhat akin to watching an Alan Ayckbourn play - especially the ultimate descent into immaculately scripted chaotic mayhem!

Of course, you COULD wait for the inevitable movie... but why wait, when you can get reading NOW?

Summer Shorts
Summer Shorts
Price: 1.54

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed Lots, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Summer Shorts (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this lots, especially David Wailing's story - Nineteen Seventy-Steve - a beautifully voiced portrait of a moment in time.

The Mountain and the Flood
The Mountain and the Flood

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Read. Bit Contrived., 14 July 2012
This dystopian adventure is a bit out-of-genre for me, but I enjoyed reading it nonetheless.

I did find some of it a bit contrived - people arriving in the nick of time, and that sort of thing; but it never verged quite into ridiculousness.

A lot of the locational storyline was a bit lost on me, but I suspect you would particularly enjoy it if you were from the Edinburgh area.

Timeline (Auto Series)
Timeline (Auto Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Timeline, 24 Jun 2012
In creating the world of Timeline and Relationship Status Wailing obviously has thought hard about how technology might evolve and the result is plausible... often disturbingly so.

Timeline is everything a short-story should be - fast-paced, exciting, imaginative and insightful; with a unexpected denouement.

On the Rocks
On the Rocks
Price: 0.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Do Not Buy This Book! (Buy The Collection Instead!), 24 Jun 2012
This review is from: On the Rocks (Kindle Edition)
I read On the Rocks as part of Trevithick's collection of short stories - Seesaw - and it is really worth buying the whole collection, because they are all great!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2012 8:48 PM BST

Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder
Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder

4.0 out of 5 stars It's Personal, 22 Jun 2012
This is such a personal book that it is very difficult to comment on - it just feels 'wrong' somehow, in a way I can't really explain. On the other hand, it deserves to be rated, so I guess that is what this is - a rating, and nothing more!

Two Penny Blue
Two Penny Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Penny Blue, 17 Jun 2012
This review is from: Two Penny Blue (Kindle Edition)
This was heading for '3 Stars' until the final third, where I felt it picked up a lot, as I had seen one side of the twist coming but not the other, so I did get a surprise at the end that I wasn't expecting.

Mama's Shoes
Mama's Shoes
Price: 8.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Effortlessly Alive, 11 Jun 2012
This review is from: Mama's Shoes (Kindle Edition)
A week ago, I had three favorite books: Behind the Scenes at the Museum, The House At Riverton and The House of the Spirits, from my forty years of reading.

To this list I now add a fourth: Mama's Shoes.

It just has that special something that really made me fall in love with it. Sylvie and Sassy and Coal Valley are so effortlessly alive that I feel like I've known them all, all my life.

This is a book I know that if I live to be a hundred, I will never forget.

Page: 1 | 2