Profile for chrisbycrunchy > Reviews

Fiskars Kitchen & Food Scissors, 18cm
Fiskars Kitchen & Food Scissors, 18cm
Price: 10.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice one., 4 Nov 2013
Not much you can say about a pair of scissors except these are extremely sharp, just the right size and I would not hesitate to recommend them.

Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Philips Shaver Series 5000 with TripleTrack Blades and Pop-up Trimmer PT920/19
Price: 98.41

5.0 out of 5 stars A cut above the rest., 21 Oct 2013
I can't praise this razor too much. I have used Philishaves since the early 60's (I still have at least seven of them) and this one is streets ahead of the rest. It gives a really smooth shave and doesn't cause any problems for my sensitive skin unlike some of the others. I have no wish to go to one of these wet electric shaves (too much hassle) so this dry shaver suits me just fine. To clean it you just rinse it under the tap and leave to dry for an hour or so. I only wish Philips would bring back the much more substantial cases (complete with mirror) to keep the razor in that they used to supply.

Edwin Jagger Imitation Ivory Chatsworth Safety Razor
Edwin Jagger Imitation Ivory Chatsworth Safety Razor

4.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Razor., 11 Sep 2013
Decided to treat myself particularly when I found out this company is the only one that still manufactures razors in England. Its a fabulous piece of kit, exceptionally well made, shiny chromium head, just the right weight and a handle that is long enough and with a lovely feel to it. Now for the sting in the tail... I would have given it 5 stars but it doesn't give me a better shave than my very old Gillette or my twin blade co-op razor with the rubber handle. However it does have the quality that the other two don't. If you can afford it or are looking for a really nice present for the man in your life then give it a try. It will be well received.

3017 14 Brown - Tony Perotti - Tray Purse with Inside Flap Over Pocket
3017 14 Brown - Tony Perotti - Tray Purse with Inside Flap Over Pocket
Offered by Ashlie Craft
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it., 11 Sep 2013
Not a lot you can say about a tray purse but having used one for many years I can honestly say this one is the best made I have come across. Made of substantial heavier than normal leather and not overly large like some this purse is well worth the cost (about four times what you would pay on the market). I would recommend it without hesitation.

Collins 2013-2014 175m 18 Month Slim Academic Weekly Notes Mid Year Diary - Black
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars I Like It, 10 Aug 2013
Not much you can say about a diary really. This one covers a period of eighteen months, fits nicely in your pocket and a good point to note (excuse the pun) is the notes page opposite each weekly diary page - very useful. What I wasn't so keen on is all the information at the front geared towards teaching. There are lots of people out here who are not academics who could use an eighteen month diary including me but I don't believe there is one or if there is I haven't found it yet. A slot at the spine to hold a pencil would also be useful but these seem to be a thing of the past now. All in all though a nice diary which I would recommend.

Wenger 11309 Classic 13 Swiss Army Knife
Wenger 11309 Classic 13 Swiss Army Knife
Price: 14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Wenger v Victorinox, 10 Aug 2013
I own three Victorinox pocket knives but thought I would try a Wenger after a friend's recommendation. First impressions good. The blade was very sharp as was the saw. What I did miss was the small screwdriver on the tin opener (which the Victorinox has) and the sharpened edge on the bradawl which I have found useful on several occasions. The worst thing though is if you are a big burley bloke (or even a small bloke) who bites their fingernails don't even bother to try and get the tweezers and the toothpick out - you don't stand a chance. Even my non-bitten fingernails had trouble prying these tools out of their compartments. Again the Victorinox is much, much easier and the tweezers and toothpick are more substantial too. Overall I would say although the Wenger is fairly well made I prefer the Victorinox.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 2:50 PM BST

TTS-3WCR45 Maglite Torch Flashlight CREE LED Bulb 180 Lumen Upgrade for 2/3 C or D Cell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. What a difference., 31 July 2013
I have a 2 d cell Maglite which I was very impressed with and I also own a single and multi led torches as well (which do not give as good a light). I decided to pay what I think is quite a high price for an led bulb (considering you can buy a new led torch for less) to fit my Maglite. Wow, was I impressed with the Maglite with the new bulb and you can still focus the beam. It lights up anything at a distance of at least 200 yards and the batteries are still going strong after three months. I use it when I walk the dog and for those people who favour the small led torches the advantage of having a heavy Maglite with you when you're out at night is very reassuring. I don't worry about being mugged anymore!

Sony XDRS40 DAB/DAB+/FM Ultra Compact Digital Radio - Red
Sony XDRS40 DAB/DAB+/FM Ultra Compact Digital Radio - Red
Price: 39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Red is the colour..., 15 July 2013
As one of those insomniacs who listens to the radio through the night in the dark I hope Sony read this review and act on it. This is without doubt the best looking radio I have seen since the days of the vintage transistor. As I like anything retro this radio in red looks much better than the black or white version. It picks up dab and fm stations with ease and sound quality is adequate. Ten out of ten, Sony. However what it lacks, in my opinion, are preset buttons, a back stand and illuminated control buttons. Three or four preset buttons on the top of the radio with each one accessing 2 stations would be useful. It's a bit of a pain having to press three different buttons just to change station - especially in the dark. And buttons that either lit up or the symbols on the buttons shone with luminous paint would be very useful. Finally a back stand would be great as then you would not need to hold the radio when changing stations. To go from preset 8 to preset 1 involves pressing 3 buttons - one of them 7 times. Even though I have been buying radios for over 50 years not one has yet met my full criteria!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 2:59 PM BST

Gardener's Diary
Gardener's Diary
by Stanley B. Whitehead

5.0 out of 5 stars Every garden should have one., 3 July 2013
This review is from: Gardener's Diary (Paperback)
I bought this book many years ago and eventually completely wore it out so bought this one to replace it. Probably the best small pocket book for the amateur gardener which tells you month by month what you should be doing in the garden. Whether its flowers, shrubs, vegetables or fruit this little book covers the lot. Excellent.

Draper 69924 Tyre Pressure Gauge with Flexible Hose
Draper 69924 Tyre Pressure Gauge with Flexible Hose
Price: 8.64

4.0 out of 5 stars Better bar none., 3 July 2013
Nice bit of kit as you would expect from Draper but I did find the dial difficult to read and not very clear. The psi readings can disappear under the rim of the gauge depending how you hold it and should also be in a different colour to the BAR pressures. Otherwise the flexible connector is a real advantage and the gauge is very accurate.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3