Profile for ShackMan > Reviews

Content by ShackMan

ShackMan

TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections

4.0 out of 5 stars TP-Link TD-W8960N 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router, 13 Aug 2010
I bought the TP-Link TD-W8960N to replace my old 8.11g router. The 8cm installation CD was a bit of a surprise especially when my slot drive would not accept it. The quick installation booklet however gave a simple description of the manual setup procedure. I printed the settings from my old router's home page (address 192.168.1.1 in Firefox) and with the new router powered-up and connected to the phone and to my pc by an ethernet cable, displayed the new router home page (192.168.1.1 again). The only things left to do in the instructions were to change the VCI value (whatever that is)to that shown on my old router printed sheets, and set the username and password given by the ISP when I signed up some time ago.

Having saved the setup and connected my NAS drive to the new router, I found that the internet, emails and accessing my NAS drive worked correctly. Very simple and at a distance of about 15ft from my PC with a brick wall and bookcases in between it gave reliable performance and a download speed of 18Mbps from a notional 24Mbps from the ISP. The router is also used to connect to two laptops and to stream videos, photos and YouTube to my Western Digital TV HD Live with no problems.