Profile for retro-man > Reviews

Content by retro-man

"retro-man"

The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
The Da Vinci Code (Robert Langdon)
by Dan Brown
Price: 5.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh..., 12 Jun 2005
I really don't get it. What's all the fuss about? It's not bad I'll grant you, but it ain't no 'War and Peace'.
The facts and plot are okay but not all that un-biased or too well reasoned and the characters and 'thriller' tint are your basic 'one-day-trash' novel at best. I'll admit it's nice this has finally been brought to light in a novel format, it's a great idea that's been sitting around waiting to be made into a book/film for years but it could have been done so much better.
It's biggest problem is it's schizophrenia. It can't decide whether to be an action-packed thriller or a deep, meditative exploration on religion and it's intricacies. Too blabby and bogged down with info to be a 'cracking' thriller and not enough info or facts to be considered a 'meaty' and informative read.
That said, I did read it cover to cover and it was a pleasant enough way to while away the time. If only, as has been said, as a flight or train companion. It's worth a read and a good starting block for the theories disscussed. Not that my opinion really matters. It's still in the bestseller list and Dan Brown is probably crying about this review all the way to the bank.
However, if you want more information that's slightly more in-depth there are brilliant websites about the same thing which give some great views on the whole affair. But if you want a similar adventure "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" is far better and more exciting in a similar vein. But that's not a book, is it retro-man? So it kind of kills your argument doesn't it? Duh!.....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 16, 2013 9:06 AM GMT

From Every Sphere
From Every Sphere
Price: 6.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Intuitive Emotions, 16 Feb 2005
This review is from: From Every Sphere (Audio CD)
This album has done so much for me.
I received 'Here Be Monsters' as a gift from my brother for Christmas and was dubious. Believing as I did, that he was more of the David Gray mould (great, but not exactly my favourite). But I loved it and bought this, his second Album. (Technically his third, the EP 'Maplewood' not really an album as such.) I bought it and took it to Paris with me.
I was enjoying the album all week when I went to the Eiffel Tower and watching in the gathering gloom as the lights began to glow... There is a point in the title track "From Every Sphere" where a small explosion goes off on beat. As that happened the tower exploded itself into bright sparkling lights. From that point on my view of the world is slightly different and this album was instrumental in that.
Pointless anecdote I know, but this album is a treasure trove of emotion, musical dexterity and wonderful design. Songs like "All of Your Days Will Be Blessed" and "The Birds Will Sing For Us" make you smile, while "Bleed A River Deep" and "Sister Renee" have, literally made me cry. With samples, programmed beats, harmonious vocals, loud guitars, drums and Bass, sweeping orchestral scores and vignette creating lyrics, there is more than a touch of the Beatles about it's production but every second is never over-egged. In many places so achingly sparse you long for the baroque-esque piano at the centre of all his songs to burst into a full band.
It has served as a theme tune to my life over the last year when a lot has happened. My first long-term relationship, advancing careers and my father battling with Cancer. That alone shows the scope of the music on this album.
Ed is a songwriter born. A blessing in itself. He taps into purely intuitive emotions and exhorates and embellishes them in the most lyrical way imaginable. Music is a touch of the divine in us all and these songs made me realise, a budding musician myself, how important that is.
Any of his albums are a joy but this is absolutely my personal favourite. Full of Bombast and Subtlety, beauty and darkness it makes me want to hear it for the first time all over again.
Thanks again Ed...