Profile for Winifred Wilson > Reviews

Winifred Wilson

Mary: A gospel witness to transfiguration and liberation
Mary: A gospel witness to transfiguration and liberation

3.0 out of 5 stars Mary not up to expectations, 16 Dec 2014
It provoked good discussions in a group studying it, and gave us food for thought, but there were a lot of things we disagreed with, and we remain unconvinced by his central argument.

War Hero Bear
War Hero Bear
by Jenny Robertson

5.0 out of 5 stars Fallen in love with Wojtek, 29 July 2014
This review is from: War Hero Bear (Paperback)
I bought it from the author on Sunday, and have read and enjoyed it since then. It led me to research the true story of Wojtek online, and that is a recommendation in itself. As a retired librarian I encourage adults to read children's books - they are often the best! As for children reading about war, this is a very good example of how it can be told faithfully but without too much of the trauma to alarm them.

The Good Shopping Guide: Certifying the UK's Most Ethical Companies and Brands (Good Shopping Guides)

5.0 out of 5 stars Came up to expectations, 7 Jun 2014
I found out about this book by reading a Lent book produced by Christian Aid Scotland and the Scottish Episcopal Church this year, and it exceeded expectations. It covers many areas of shopping, from food of all kinds to toothpaste, electrical goods, soap powder, just about anything. It not only indicates value for money but also ethical and environmental considerations in choosing brands to buy. Although it is really a reference tool I found myself reading whole chunks of it at a time, before passing it round various study groups who had used the Christian Aid booklet. When the next edition comes out I will buy it too.

The Secrets of Filming Swallows & Amazons
The Secrets of Filming Swallows & Amazons

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely fresh writing, 5 Jan 2014
I love it because it's written in good English, with no awful typos or errors, and with plenty of pictures illustrating the people and places she writes about, leaving me wanting to know more. A 12-year-old's contemporary diary-entries combined with an adult's considered thoughts looking back, as well as up-to-date information about what happened to all of those involved after the film, not just the actors, and even including the extras in the film.
Please someone publish it as a proper book, so that I can go back and browse through it, and see the photographs and beautifully drawn maps clearly!
You don't need to be a S&A fan to enjoy this book - it's universal!

Funnily Enough
Funnily Enough
by Sophie Neville

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Funnily enough' had me hooked on Sophie's books, 3 Jan 2014
This review is from: Funnily Enough (Paperback)
This is a very unusual book, in that it tells the author's story of good and hard times in her life with complete honesty, and also talks about 'church' without having to apologise or explain. Reading it at a time when I was feeling a bit low was the tonic I needed (can you buy a 'tonic' these days? I was often given one as a child, but they don't seem to exist now, apart form in book form!)
I went on to read Sophie's African book, which was even more hilarious, and discovered what an amazing artist she is, as well as an extremely good writer.
'The secrets of filming Swallows and Amazons' is only available on Kindle, but I've just read that. Anyone with an interest in film, Arthur Ransome, sailing, outdoor activities, or just wants a good laugh must read it, and please can we have it in print form asap?

Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change, Stitch by Stitch

4.0 out of 5 stars An unusual and refreshing view of knitting for the 21st century, 1 Nov 2013
I bought this book after learning about 'craftivism', which is catching on in the U.K. The author was one of several people in different parts of the world who had the idea of combining craft and activism as a gentler way of getting a message across. As well as writing about her own ideas and experience, she has several pieces from other crafters, who each supply a pattern.