Profile for Fingerstyle Guitarist > Reviews

Content by Fingerstyle Gu...

Fingerstyle Guitarist

Somerset Shaving Oil 15ml
Somerset Shaving Oil 15ml
Offered by Superfooduk

5.0 out of 5 stars As Carlos Santana would put it - Smooth., 14 Jun 2012
This review is from: Somerset Shaving Oil 15ml
Opening the packaging, to reveal the tiny droppered bottle, I was initially doubtful that this product would work. Boy was I mistaken! While I think that for rough stubble, three drops isn't quite enough (I have a big face too) I'd say five is ample. The product is strong smelling, but pleasant. The lack of resistance shaving against the grain on my neck is really quite odd and refreshing. This was a splash on water shave and was far closer and more comfortable then a shower/good few minutes shaving foam soak shave. I will buy this again.

Head-Direct RE0 In-ear Noise-Isolating Headphones
Head-Direct RE0 In-ear Noise-Isolating Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, but lacking Bass, 23 Feb 2012
As other reviewers have mentioned these headphones are great - Noise Isolation is top notch, if you are playing music there will be no background noise - a women on the train has had to shake me to get out as I'd dropped off and she couldn't get through my music!

In terms of sound - they give you more of the music than any other headphones I've tried, you will notice panning effects go on much longer and particularly the treble is fantastic. That said, the bass is lacking - I really would have liked it if it was a little more present, even with a full bass boost from my Voodoo Android, it's fairly flat (I prefer to avoid messing with the EQ if I can).

These headphones have inspired me to rerip my music at a higher bit rate, so I suppose I'd recommend them, but I'm a little disappointed for £65

Cyanide and Happiness: I'm Giving You the Finger
Cyanide and Happiness: I'm Giving You the Finger
by Rob D.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but the new content has only a few gems., 5 Nov 2009
As someone who has been through the entirety of the C&H archive more than once, this book was a mixed bag for me. The classic's look absolutely great, it's really exciting to be able to leaf through them in such great style. The new ones are the real reason that I got this, as I couldn't miss out on thirty whole comics. I enjoyed them, but only five or so were really hilarious. Still - worth it for a die hard fan and a great introduction to the best webcomic around.

I'd also recommend getting autopager for firefox, going to the site and then just watching them all appear in a big long strip of funny.

Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)
Silent Hill Homecoming (PS3)
Offered by Game Dealz

3.0 out of 5 stars Moments of brilliant genius, horror and emotion. Sadly too few., 15 Jan 2009
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I couldn't wait to play this, being a fan of the series, so I imported it from America.

The graphics are acceptable, but by no means groundbreaking - similar to Resi 4 with a touch of next gen to them. There are some nice touches, such as boss monsters and the real-time changing from the normal world to the "hell world" (think the silent hill movie).

Sound is phenomenal, the score is great, silence is well used and the monsters make suitable shrieks and slithers etc.

Combat has been changed from earlier silent hill games. Your character, coming back from military service is more than adept with any weapon he can find. The issue being that this takes away a lot of the fright and tension - there comes a point in the game when your trusty combat knife (with some well-timed blocking) puts paid to any of the creatures. I finished the game with full ammo for most of the guns, as there is only one sort of creature you can't just annihilate with the knife.

The plot is interesting, with decision making playing a part, taking you all over two different towns (one is silent hill) and there are multiple endings. The problem with them is - some of them make NO sense, not in a mysterious standard SH way, but a... I don't quite get how that can be related to what I just completed.

People compare this to Resident Evil 4, I can see why, but R4 is a masterpiece, this is just ok.

Good Points: -

* Suitably messed up for a SH game
* Some of the "hell areas" have some genuine scares
* Great soundtrack
* Pretty good plot

Bad Points: -

* Not enough creature variation - carving up 4 identical monsters and killing them all with the same finisher animation is tiresome
* Endings confusing, don't reflect the choices you made in game
* Combat system makes it too easy - recommend upping the difficulty if you purchase
* Completion didn't leave me with any sense of achievement, just very underwhelmed. I have no desire to play it through again.

MY-Link  106 KEY FLEXIBLE DESKTOP COMPUTER KEYBOARD - WHITE
MY-Link 106 KEY FLEXIBLE DESKTOP COMPUTER KEYBOARD - WHITE
Offered by E W Link Co Ltd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not hugely responsive, but good for the price., 30 April 2008
This keyboard is good fun although not hugely practical in my humble opinion. Kinda like typing on glue.... however with a little bit of key remapping the buttons do a grand job, it is nicer to used then a cramped laptop keyboard and actually facilitates good typing practice in a way.

not good for finnesse or accurate typing (hence the mistakes in this review!)

Still cheap, a good back up keyboard.

Logitech Ultra-Flat Keyboard
Logitech Ultra-Flat Keyboard

4.0 out of 5 stars Acceptable, especially for the price., 29 April 2008
This keyboard is very light, very good for the price.

However it does fall slightly short of my expectations, as it does feel cheap. As some other reviews have mentioned it does feel flimsy. It only has standard buttons which is nice, and its certainly more rapid then my preceding keyboard.

Finally I would like to mention that the postage is excessive. Mine arrived in a literally giant box that would fit literally 20 - 30 of the keyboards. However one email to Amazon and they refunded the entire lot! So if they do the same to you, complain, complain, complain!

Fingerpicking Beatles: 30 Songs Arranged for Solo Guitar in Standard Notation & Tablature
by Beatles

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustratingly Simple, 25 Nov 2007
I wanted to play the Beatles Fingerstyle and was hoping to get some of the rich sound from just my guitar, something I know is possible due to the fantastic examples on youtube.

This offering is incredibly simple, rarely do you play anything more than two strings at once. Although this means a more experienced guitarist can fly through these versions and those who haven't been playing as long can progress relatively quickly, the finished performance is in my opinion lacking.

However, there are not any mistakes I have found and the arrangements if simple do at least sound like the songs for the most part, all is played in the first position too.

So buy this book for fun, but not if you are serious about wanting to play fingerstyle Beatles.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2011 1:18 AM GMT