Profile for Tonty > Reviews

Content by Tonty

Tonty "Tonty" (Herts United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
The Virgin Years
The Virgin Years

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a fantastic box set bringing together everything The Motors ever recorded, 22 Feb. 2016
This review is from: The Virgin Years (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic box set bringing together everything The Motors ever recorded. The Motors were a very underrated band who never got the recognition they deserved. They had two brilliant songwriters in Nick Garvey and Andy McMaster but sadly their time never came - and of course not forgetting the amazing guitar work of Bram Tchaikovsky. This box set includes their BBC John Peel sessions and will give you some idea of what a powerful live band they were - I know I saw them! If you ever liked any of their singles this box set will not disappoint.
On another note whatever happened to Andy, Nick, Bram and not forgetting Richard (Ricky) the drummer?

Rock Atlas UK & Ireland: 800 Great Music Locations and the Fascinating Stories Behind Them
by David Roberts

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing Book!, 26 Aug. 2015
What an amazing book! It's not the sort of book you want to read cover to cover but leave it next to your favourite armchair and I guarantee you will keep dipping in to it time after time. This is a must for anyone who loves rock music.

Trespasser (Mike Bowditch 2)
Trespasser (Mike Bowditch 2)
by Paul Doiron

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit Like Inspector Clouseau, 21 Aug. 2015
Maine doesn't need a police force with Mike Bowditch (main character) around. Shame he's a bit like Inspector Clouseau though. Paul Doiron seems to forget his main character is a Game Warden as every now and then he spots a bird and tells us what it is.
This is the first Paul Doiron book I have read and I'm afraid it will be the last - the story is just a bit too far fetched. I'll stick with CJ Box.

Bouquets From a Cloudy Sky
Bouquets From a Cloudy Sky
Offered by Vinylhead

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute brilliant box set, 3 April 2015
Absolute brilliant box set, this must be the ultimate in box sets - nothing will ever top this! Great value for money considering what you get. I would pay twice the asking price to get the hardback book, DVD documentary and two CDs of rarities!
Just one query: why has 'Out Of The Island' not been included?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2015 6:47 PM BST

Tassimo Milk Creamer 16 Discs/Pods, Pack of 5 (80 Discs in Total)
Tassimo Milk Creamer 16 Discs/Pods, Pack of 5 (80 Discs in Total)

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid plastic tasting milk, 21 Jan. 2015
Bought a Tassimo machine mainly for cappuccino but can't stand the taste of these creamers - so false with a plastic taste and a nasty texture. Wish I had bought a different machine which takes other makes of pods. Please Tassimo make some creamers that taste like real milk. They don't even give much of a frothy top so all a bit pointless really.

God Save The Kinks: A Biography
God Save The Kinks: A Biography
by Rob Jovanovic

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Ever Kinks Biography So Far, 30 Oct. 2013
I am a huge fan of The Kinks and have read every book on them that I could find. This is one of the best. Rob Jovanovic knows his stuff and has done a lot of thorough research. There are plenty of new interviews with people involved with The Kinks and Ray Davies over the years who have never been interviewed before. This gives a great insight into Ray Davies and why he is like he is and possibly why there will never be a Kinks reunion.
If you have never read a Kinks biography then this is the one, it will tell you all you need to know about, what I think is the world's greatest band and the genius that is Ray Davies.

City of Soul
City of Soul
Offered by Moore Movies

5.0 out of 5 stars Information Please!!, 27 Oct. 2011
This review is from: City of Soul (Audio CD)
Hey Amazon
Can you please give more information please! Track listing would be a good start! I've noticed that more often than not you are not bothering to give basic information.
I'm awarding five stars 'cause I love Jim's music!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2013 8:50 AM BST

The Things You Wish Yourself
The Things You Wish Yourself

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Christmas Song, 22 Nov. 2010
I recall this song being free to download from Ralph's website several years ago but it was just Raplh and acoustic guitar and I'm afraid to say it was a little dreary.
This re recorded version is absolutely brilliant - the choir and brass band have transformed the song and it has to become a classic Christmas song!

Tell No-One (Ne Le Dis A Personne) [DVD]
Tell No-One (Ne Le Dis A Personne) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Marie-Josee Croze
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a french film lover, 20 Jan. 2008
If you love French films you will probably love this.
I love Harlen Coban's books but I could not follow this at all - even with the sub titles. It made no sense at all and was not at all enjoyabe to watch.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 5, 2013 10:52 PM BST

Cell
Cell
by Stephen King

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed - The Stand Revisited?, 10 April 2006
This review is from: Cell (Hardcover)
It seems ages since there has been a new Stephen King book, so I was thrilled when this came out. I have been a Stephen King fan since I first read Carrie - oh so many years ago!
Whilst this is a cracking story, and once you start it you want to finish it, I came to the last page thinking "is that it?"
I'm afraid Mr King maybe losing his magic touch. Maybe he wanted to write the ultimate "Zombie" novel but I felt there was a little too much blood and gore with nothing left to the imagination - which was always a key element of any of King's novels. I did keep thinking how similar this was to The Stand - which is my all time favourite Stephen King book.
Whilst we get to know the main character pretty well, the others we know very little about. And then about three quarters of the way through another three characters appear who we never really get to know.
The main disappointment for me was that the story just stops - I suppose we are left to invent our own ending!!
I think Mr King just got bored with the story - you get that impression whilst reading it - and as his publisher asked for X amount of pages, he chucked in a dozen or so pages of his next novel (which is to be published later this year) The only problem with that is they have been printed in his own hand writing and whilst it is neat I could not read it - couldn't someone have typed it out - I'm not particularly interested in it being in Stepen King's own hand!!

Page: 1 | 2