Profile for John Horsler > Reviews

Content by John Horsler

John Horsler "Teddy Burner" (Coventry, UK)

Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...About Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business (J-B Lencioni Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Incisive stuff about why meetings get a bad name, 26 Aug 2013
I bought this book because the title amused me, but with an inner sense that many of the meetings I attend (some of which I chair) are a waste of time. Draining, inefficient, unproductive. Patrick`s book puts some markers in the ground, signposts about more productive directions to take. Even the simple concept of four types of meeting to achieve different things- such a simple idea it made me say "Why didn't I think of that?". Simple but not simplistic, I think someone once referred to Covey` 7 habits with the same phrase. Thoroughly enjoyable read.

The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable (J-B Lencioni Series)

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful analysis of how teams win or lose, 19 Jun 2013
Having not considered much about how and why teams don't work, this provided insight which is simple to understand but gets to the nub of the issues. I like the approach of using a story to communicate the concepts - it makes them easier to recall. It is realistic in showing that solving problems is rarely quick and inevitably involves some uncomfortable change. I am looking forward, a little nervously, to introducing these ideas. And looking forward with anticipation to reading more from this author.