Profile for D. Lewis > Reviews

Content by D. Lewis

D. Lewis "dave33544 music lover of all types" (Yeovil, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Amazon Artist Lounge: Keane Live from London
Amazon Artist Lounge: Keane Live from London
Price: 2.37

5.0 out of 5 stars Live and superb, 16 Nov 2013
As a free download anything by Keane would be a bargain, this recording is superb and highlights the top musical talents of this group. As a 50+ listener it is nice to see real musicians can still produce top tunes and sing in key - Live! Will be looking at previous output.

Basick 2012 Sampler
Basick 2012 Sampler

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was hoping for ....., 9 April 2012
This review is from: Basick 2012 Sampler (MP3 Download)
I have to agree with 'Technoquest's' review. Disappointed after reading reviews and was hoping for something new along the lines of Dream Theatre, Frost or even IQ. What I hear is too much 'thrash' sound and a lot of growling/shouting and not enough finesse. One good thing as a free sampler it has stopped me spending money on the off chance that I might like something just on the artwork. Some groups I will certainly give a wide berth!

Song Of Seven
Song Of Seven
Offered by ALL-MY-MUSIC-GERMANY
Price: 7.75

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful, 22 Mar 2011
This review is from: Song Of Seven (Audio CD)
This is not Olias of Sunhillow, much more pop orientated soundwise, still rock and dare I say it 'prog rock' enough with lengthy tracks to satisfy die hard fans and engage new comers to Jon Anderson's soaring vocals. Jon usually has lyrics which verge on the 'bonkers' scale, but this is generally safe by his standard.
As other reviewers have said the quality of the songs and Jon's voice was never in doubt, this is not 'Yes' and so different from Olias showcasing Jon's musical range and ability. Worth the money and not aas short time wise as many albums released around the time

The Ultimate Science Fiction Collection: Volume Three (20 Books)
The Ultimate Science Fiction Collection: Volume Three (20 Books)

4.0 out of 5 stars At 72p - how can you go wrong?, 22 Mar 2011
Classic Sci-fi stories at a real down to earth price, almost subterranean! I've not had my kindle for long and may not have sussed out how to jump from book to book in the order I want to read them, but there are stories here you should read. If you've seen the films, the books are more interesting and detailed than any film can be. Some concepts may seem dated, but Dr Moreau could have been written in the 1980s or 90s with cloning and genetics still contentious today.
What have you got to lose, except 72p?

Fairyport
Fairyport
Price: 11.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, quirky and well worth every penny, whatever price you pay, 22 Mar 2011
This review is from: Fairyport (Audio CD)
Like most of the other reviews, my introduction to Wigwam was through Nuclear Nightclub, I also owned the DLP Rumours On The Rebound (compilation LP). This CD is much jazzier and even a little funky in places and contains a range of styles but is consistently brilliant musically and the lyrics are an eye opener. I will be purchasing other early Wigwam recordings. The bonus tracks can be found on Rumours On The Rebound, not as Pembroke compositions but as Wigwam tracks. Outstanding music; sadly, the right group in the wrong place and at the wrong time with punk taking over the music media bandwagon at the expense of other good music. Buy this and you won't be disappointed, trust me.

Kingston Technology 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
Kingston Technology 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as ordered but seems okay, 22 Mar 2011
I ordered the Kingston Technology 8GB USB 2.0 Flash DriveKingston Technology 8GB USB 2.0 Flash Drivebut received the Kingston Generation 2 8GB USB Data Traveller - the original product has been excellent and has not let me down. This one seems okay, but I've not used it as much as my first one.
I'm not too keen on the 'sliding' action of the Gen 2 stick, it's something that could go wrong which the other one does not have however I can not lose the cap from it. I have found Kingston products to be generally good, hopefully this one will be the same.

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
Price: 7.84

4.0 out of 5 stars The Marmite of Electronic Music, 5 July 2010
Love it or hate it, early OMD is different and hardly 'pop' in the music industry's view of 'pop', but popular it was. I was blown away with 'Electricity' and 'Messages' when I heard it on the juke box in my local pub. I bought the album on vinyl, sadly now too scratched and hissing to tolerate any longer, and was blown away by so many tracks. Red Frame White Light, despite being about a phone box, is a great song and still gets stuck in my head. If you like Talking Loud and Clear and Locomotion, don't buy this album just yet, work back through the first 3 albums to this one.
The bonus tracks, are just that to me, a nice addition, not sure they add any more to the album, but don't really detract from it either. After years of hiss and clicks from my LP I can't comment on the sound quality of the CD, it is click free and the music is clear to me for the first time in a long time. As a Tangerine Dream fan, OMD offered me a chance to talk to friends who liked 'pop' music and found some OMD accessible, at least with Junk Culture, but OMD were losing the plot, for me, by then. Considering the type of instruments being used (mono-phonic synthesisers and simple drum machines) the quality of the songs and melodies really show how good these boys were. If you are an OMD fan you will have this already; just starting out? Then buy this and follow the musical journey (progress?) of OMD, you won't be disappointed.

Coraline and Other Stories: The Bloomsbury Phantastics
Coraline and Other Stories: The Bloomsbury Phantastics
by Neil Gaiman
Price: 6.29

4.0 out of 5 stars Good collection of scary stories BUT ....., 15 Feb 2010
BEWARE - if you own M is for Magic - Do NOT waste your money on this book - the stories are EXACTLY the same, in exactly the same order - but with the Coraline story at the start.
Having said that, apart from 'The Witches Headstone' which is a chapter from 'The Graveyard Book' book, Gaiman's other books, 'Fragile Things' and 'Smoke and Mirrors: Short Fiction and Illusions' also contain (From Fragile) October In The Chair;Instructions;How To Talk To Girls At Parties; Sunbird; (From Smoke & Mirrors) Chilvary;The Price;Troll Bridge; Don't Ask Jack.
The quality of the stories is not up for debate, Gaiman tells a good tale, often retelling a tale you know, without it being obvious.
The sad bit is that publishers duplicate so many stories across different books and leave the reader feeling slightly cheated - which with Gaiman's writing we should not. I like the slightly scary edge to the stories, they remind me of my childhood ghost stories I read and enjoyed. If your child has an imagination and zest for reading do not deprive them of the opportunity to be a little scared, later in life they will be able to laugh whilst others tremble.
Only 4 stars because of the duplicated stories I already have in the other Gaiman books.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 17, 2010 9:16 AM GMT

M is for Magic
M is for Magic
by Neil Gaiman
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good collection of short stories - but beware, 15 Feb 2010
This review is from: M is for Magic (Paperback)
BEWARE - if you own Coraline and other stories - Do NOT waste your money on this book - the stories are EXACTLY the same, in exactly the same order - but with the Coraline story at the start.
Only 4 stars because I already owned Coraline and other stories

Out of Myself
Out of Myself
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 11.40

5.0 out of 5 stars This is simply excellent, 30 April 2008
This review is from: Out of Myself (Audio CD)
Lots of reviewers comparing Riverside to Dream Theater and Pink Floyd; I must be a little older than the other reviewers because I can hear the influence of Camel, especially from the 'Mirage' album; strong elements of Nektar's Tab In The Ocean and Sounds Like This; strong hints of later Gong albums; amongst the quieter tracks and accoustic passages, some elements are quite Caravan in style.
If you like early Rush albums and early 80s Rush and any of the above, buy this, you won't be disappointed.
What this eclectic mix produces is well balanced, well written and a well crafted album that will be a treasure in your collection for more years than some of the other purchases you have or will make.
This was my introduction to Riverside, it certainly will not be my only experience of the band that is Riverside.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3