Profile for S. Lornie > Reviews

Content by S. Lornie

S. Lornie "Fight, Win, Prevail!"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Octavarium [U.S. Version]
Octavarium [U.S. Version]
Price: 6.38

2.0 out of 5 stars My God... It's Incredible... Extremely Boring!, 2 Dec 2013
After listening to this album I honestly feel very depressed. What we have here is a heavy metal band (or prog group... whatever no one cares) who are desperately trying to sound like Muse and Coldplay. The effects of this are tiresome, it is quite silly.

This band was very clearly going through an identity crisis when they recorded this album. They couldn't make up their mind which style they wanted to play. I personally love a band that tries new things (like Rush) but THIS is NOT how you do it.

The album starts off with 25 minutes of "wanna be" Cold play music, goes through some Muse motions in the middle and finishes on a LOOOONG boring Genesis style track. The only difference is if Genesis recorded a song like this, it wouldn't of made me want to cry tears of mind numbing agony.

This is a terrible album, it is a shame because (in my opinion) the band released some great music around this time that I do enjoy.

If you want something mellow, go buy Falling Into Infinity. If you want to encourage someone to commit suicide... by all means... BUY THIS ALBUM!

Aftershock - The Island Years 1985 - 1990
Aftershock - The Island Years 1985 - 1990
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 16.56

5.0 out of 5 stars It's About Time!!!, 26 Oct 2013
So it's finally here, someone finally had the common sense to throw these 4 classic Thrash albums into one box.

Here you get Spreading The Disease, Among The Living, State Of Euphoria and Persistence of Time in one shiny little box. The last three contains some B-Sides and Live tracks.

A great package for anyone who wants to replace those old copies.

Zz Top 6 Pack
Zz Top 6 Pack
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection!, 8 Sep 2013
This review is from: Zz Top 6 Pack (Audio CD)
This set is a fine example of how much drama queens like ZZ Top. There are frequent complaints because they gave the drums a better sound. Long gone are the horrific, muddy cardboard box drumkit and in with a nice, clean sound.

The albums are bunched up onto 3 discs in a fine wee box.

For someone who hates the original masters of ZZ Top this is a worthy buy.

Chicago Blues Legend
Chicago Blues Legend
Price: 13.73

5.0 out of 5 stars That is a lot of blues!, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Chicago Blues Legend (Audio CD)
I was looking to replace my old Muddy Water collection so I purchased this monster.

It has more Muddy than I know what to do with. All the tracks sound great, nice and clear. A little repetitive after a while but so is most blues music.

8 cds of timeless classics, how can you go wrong.

Big Box of Elmore James
Big Box of Elmore James
Price: 14.41

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Collection Indeed!, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Big Box of Elmore James (Audio CD)
This collection of classic blues tracks is a nice collection. A simple cover and a nice little booklet.

There's not much I could say about the music that has not already been said. Absolutely timeless music.

The only problem with this collection is with 2/3 tracks per cd have this extremely annoying popping sound. I am not sure if the tapes have this issue or if it's the albums itself. Listening to a lot of blues, I am use to the hiss of old tapes that were taken straight from vinyl. However this does not seem to be the case.

Other then the odd track "popping" you have a large bundle of classic blues.

Japanese Taiko
Japanese Taiko
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.18

5.0 out of 5 stars My Poor Neighbours!, 23 Aug 2013
This review is from: Japanese Taiko (Audio CD)
An album full of drums, played with great skill, power and some incredible stamina.

The cd is extremely well recorded and features some interesting notes in the booklet.

A worthy purchase for any percussionist or someone wanting something different.

Contemporary And Traditional Chinese Music
Contemporary And Traditional Chinese Music
Price: 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fantastic purchase!, 23 Aug 2013
I recently purchased and reviewed a cd by The Silk & Bamboo Ensemble. A fantastic cd I enjoyed very much.

Amazon recommended this album to me at the time of my previous purchase and I am glad they did.

As with that previous cd this one is just as well produced and well played. The music is beautiful, played with great skill and talent. The production is also of top quality and sounds absolutely stunning.

I would sell my soul to see these brilliant performers live. A great cd I would highly recommend.

Traditional Chinese Ensemble
Traditional Chinese Ensemble
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 8.64

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice change of pace!, 23 Aug 2013
I bought this album without knowing what I was in for. I was in the mood for something new. I got a bit fed up with the usual metal/rock albums and fancied a changed of style and pace. This album was the right choice.

I will easily admit I have no experience with this type of music at all.

The style/ textures from these instruments is fantastic and are of a wide range. The production is crystal clear and for a change does not sound sterile. A common problem in music these days. You can hear every instrument being plucked, strummed etc.

I find the album to be upbeat, cheerful and extremely relaxing. You could do a lot worse in today's world than purchasing this album.

The Centennial Collection
The Centennial Collection
Price: 8.53

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Robert Johnson!, 7 Aug 2013
Over the years I have owned a few Robert Johnson's cd's and not one comes close to this release. Not only does it have 42 stunning songs but they have been cleaned up thanks to digital technology. This set has the cleanest sound I have ever heard from Johnson's releases. I highly recommend this for any blues fans or anyone who has previous recordings. This is a huge step up and worth the extra money.

The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1986-1990
The Complete Roadrunner Collection 1986-1990
Price: 16.82

5.0 out of 5 stars The King Lives!!!, 3 July 2013
This is a fine box set of King Diamonds first five albums. This is without a doubt his best material.

Each album comes in a small sleeve just like the vinyl of old days and looks very cool. The sound is clear and very well remastered.

My only gripe...

WHERE IS THE BONUS TRACKS?!

They have left out a couple of great tunes from previous releases which is a bit of a shame. Either way if you like the King you'll want this box set.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6