Profile for Purple fox > Reviews

The Bone Clocks
The Bone Clocks
by David Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars Meaningless supernatural horror, 14 Sept. 2015
This review is from: The Bone Clocks (Paperback)
I got about 1/5th of the way through this book before having to discard it because the supernatural scenes were too horrific, scary and graphic for me (nightmare-like confusion between real and unreal, skulls being cracked open with the sound of an egg shell, white eyeballs gouged out, evil humanoids sucking life out of children etc). It's such a shame because I was really into the real world story, and I loved Cloud Atlas and Black Swan Green, but this was not for me.

I thought it would be of value when it started out like the supernatural scenes were the hallucinations of the main character - something that certain real people do have to cope with - but when the nightmares started to take over the book, I lost interest and sort of got bored as well as disturbed. I don't need a fairy tale, but I tend to avoid gratuitous and meaningless terror. There's enough terror in the real world for me to want someone's made up horror in my leisure time. I'm awarding some stars because David Mitchell is undeniably great with words, and I still love his language even if this story is a dud one.

ELC Big City Wooden Garage
ELC Big City Wooden Garage

1.0 out of 5 stars Attractive to display but disappointing as a toy, 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: ELC Big City Wooden Garage (Toy)
Looks attractive and retro, but it's not really robust enough or fun enough as a toy compared with the other toy garages available. The ramps balance on an elastic string pulled taut, so they fall off all the time - at least they're quite easy to put back on, especially for adults who can quickly get the string to align with a shallow groove on the ramp (more fiddly for kids). The ramps are so steep and straight that the car provided just hurtles down both of them in a split second.

The lift is basically a box on a piece of string that you have to effortfully wind up by twisting the red knob on the helipad. That stiff twisting action is too difficult for our 3 year old, so he needs us to do it for him. The lift has broken a few times, but I guess an advantage of it being so Heath Robinson is that you can just thread the string back through and tie it back on.

Despite there being two petrol pumps, there's only one car, which is really tiny (I guess about 5-6 cm long, maybe). It looks like the pump nozzles should be able to fit into a hole, but the car doesn't have any holes. Only the upper deck is really accessible, because the different decks are so close together - little determined hands do manage to drive the car in them a bit, but it looks pretty uncomfortable.

Our son does play with it because it's his only toy like this, but we feel a bit sorry for him as he struggles to get the ramps to stay on, reach under the levels etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 27, 2015 7:36 PM BST

Black Beaded Necklace on Gunmetal Grey Chain
Black Beaded Necklace on Gunmetal Grey Chain

1.0 out of 5 stars light and plastic-y, 30 Nov. 2012
This was a disappointment, as it felt cheap, light and plastic-y. It's also longer than in the picture, so it hangs quite low.

Tuppence and Crumble Soft Felted Lambswool Fairisle Baby Blanket Red
Tuppence and Crumble Soft Felted Lambswool Fairisle Baby Blanket Red
Offered by Tuppence and Crumble

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, warm and colourful, 30 Nov. 2012
This was a lovely present for our baby. It's warm and soft and the colours are really cheerful. In the pram it has had several compliments as it looks really nice. It's also interesting for the baby to look at, so quite often he manipulates it with his hands as he watches the pattern move. It's a nice size, so now that he's 1 year old, it still easily covers him but it isn't too big.

Tiny Love Super Mat - Sunny Mat
Tiny Love Super Mat - Sunny Mat

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, washable, dries fast - brilliant!, 7 Aug. 2012
My baby loves this, especially the mirror and the chewy leaf. At 7 months he hasn't discovered the squeaker yet, but is curious about when we squeak it. It's fun enough that he tends to spend lots of time on it even though he's able to move around the whole room. And, unlike most equivalents, it's machine washable (30 degrees), and it dries really quickly. We take it with us whenever we go away, and if it's too big to fit somewhere, just fold it over. Love it.

No Title Available

Orange Apollo Quality Silicon Ice Cube Tray Easy Release
Orange Apollo Quality Silicon Ice Cube Tray Easy Release
Offered by Super Utensil Ltd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very stiff, 7 Aug. 2012
Probably fine if you just want to 'twist and release' all the cubes at once. I wanted a silicone icecube tray so I could release one cube at a time, but this cannot really do this (unless you leave the cubes to defrost for 5-10 min before trying). The cubes are very close together and the material feels stiffer than silicone, so it's hard work getting them out. A small piece of the material came off inside one of my icecubes too.

Pink Apollo Quality Silicon Ice Cube Tray Easy Release
Pink Apollo Quality Silicon Ice Cube Tray Easy Release
Offered by Concept4U (UK)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very stiff, 7 Aug. 2012

Tiny Tillia Lillyette Stripe Baby Changing Tote Bag (Green)
Tiny Tillia Lillyette Stripe Baby Changing Tote Bag (Green)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but impractical fastenings, 26 May 2012
This bag I spacious and has great compartments. I like the (water resistant) fabric. However, I soon discovered that it's not rain proof, because there is no way of actually shutting it - the main part simply has a single magnetic clip, and the side pockets each have a little piece of Velcro. Rain just pours in and everything gets soaked. What's more the Velcro is extremely harsh and strong, so it literally grazes your hand as you struggle to get things in and out of the pockets, and it catches on everything. It ruined my sunglasses by scratching the lenses surprisingly deeply. If this bag only had sensible - and soft! - little flaps over the openings, it'd be a really great bag. As it is, I'm going to have to get a different one.

The Help
The Help
by Kathryn Stockett

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully balanced book, 16 Dec. 2011
This review is from: The Help (Paperback)
This book has the perfect balance between humour, detail and depth. It deals with some very difficult issues, and yet humanity shines through so it's never mopey and is absolutely hilarious in places. I learned a lot and loved the characters. I read the book about a year ago and still think of it quite often. The language is extremely expressive too, like when one character 'squoze' herself into a very tight dress - to me that sounds so much more uncomfortable and ridiculous than 'squeezed'! My only gripe is that there is a (small) secret throughout the book that you only find out at the end, and I don't believe it - it requires a slow, deliberate, and fiddly act that I really don't think the otherwise hot tempered character would've done... It doesn't matter though. This is a wonderful book.

Page: 1 | 2