Profile for Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Bookworm

Bookworm "bookworm" (Kent UK)

The Big Book of Low-Carb Recipes: 365 Fast and Fabulous Dishes for Every Low-Carb Lifestyle
by Nicola Graimes

5.0 out of 5 stars Also includes vegetarian A must for anyone who has to lose weight - just stick to the weights and portion sizes and its easy pea, 6 Nov. 2014
I struggled with another similar book having had to go on a low carb diet almost indefinitely. Now everything is changed!! This is the most comprehensive and well written recipe book I have come across. All the thinking has been done for you. The recipes can be used for family and friends with addition of the "banned for me " ingredients such as potatoes rice bread etc etc. Also includes vegetarian

A must for anyone who has to lose weight - just stick to the weights and portion sizes and its easy peasy !

The Heir (Modern Voices)
The Heir (Modern Voices)
by Vita Sackville-West

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprise, 17 Dec. 2012
This is a novella by Vita Sackville West , which was a pleasant surprise. I have read many of her books ( I collect them and also live close to Knole House and not far from Sissinghurst)and have in the past found one or two hard going. This one was an easy read about, as the title portrays. the heir to an estate, a cousin of the original family.For whatever reason I felt empathy for this man and Vita's descriptions throughout the book made the story for me, come to life. She is clearly writing from her own background, but in a sympathetic, way portraying the emotions of a man thrown into a lifestyle totally alien to his own. Or perhaps I am viewing the story in a much too sentimental way? Read it and see!

The Bloomsbury Group (Spoken Word) (The spoken Word)
The Bloomsbury Group (Spoken Word) (The spoken Word)
by British Library
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars A REVELATION, 17 Nov. 2012
To me The Bloomsbury Group Spoken Word CDs were a revelation.

We all have our own version in our mind as to how the famous from the past might have sounded - I did not know that any recordings for the Bloombury set were available and found them by chance on Amazon. All my previous imaginings were dispersed when listening to these CDs and certainly there were, for me, many surprises on hearing some of my favourite authors and those who were part of the group.

When visiting Charleston or Knole House( I live near to Knole) these voices can be recalled and bound to increase the pleasure of the visit. By the way for anyone interested in the Bloomsbury group, these houses plus Virginia's Rodmell are a must.

No Signposts in the Sea
No Signposts in the Sea
by Vita Sackville-West

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 17 Nov. 2012
I have many Vita books and over the years have come to terms with her way of writing. This Virago publication paperback was found whilst browsing Amazon for Sackville West novels- hardback originals have become scarce.

However, this novel has disappointed , although it is known her health was not good at the time of writing.

Whilst the descriptions of the voyage are good, I found it difficult to accept the narrator as described. He is an "man made good", fluent in French, a well known writer of political opinions yet untravelled.His narration is peppered with extracts of poetry and prose and the familiar French which is often found in Vita's writing. The main character, Edmund, is to me the weakness of the novel as I found that much of his narration seemed more female than male.This may not be the opinion of other reviewers, but I am open to different points of view.

Nevertheless, as a lover of all things Vita and Bloomsbury related, this book will go into my collection to be re-read at a later date.

Brand New Black Felt Bowler Hat 56cm XSmall Satin Lined 100% Wool
Brand New Black Felt Bowler Hat 56cm XSmall Satin Lined 100% Wool
Offered by Mighty Oak Trading

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 17 Nov. 2012
This bowler is made of good quality materials BUT its manufacture is flawed.

The band around the rim is far too tight and leaves a pleated effect in the fabric.It cannot be loosened as it appears to be stuck on. This is a shame as if it had been perfect we would have kept it.

Unsure where the bowler was made but if China or other far east, it is yet another faulty item which is becoming the norm in many cases. Would be willing to pay more for a good quality UK make.

M. Maude

Offered by Software 4U

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very exciting!, 30 Jan. 2012
Memory can distort images! This film was first seen many- many years ago and was always thought to be a good bullfighting story. This then may be a remake or an edited watered down version to suit todays aversion to bull fighting. It is mainly a story of obsession - Tyrone Powers with the bull fight and his subsequent obsession with Rita Hayworth, which ultimately is his downfall.
It is more a one sided love story rather than an exciting bullfighting "thriller" and was a disppointmnet all round. Perhaps my taste is for thrills rather than romance.
Would only recommend this DVD for those who want a nostalgic trip down memory lane seeing the megastars of "old times"!Blood and Sand ~ Tyrone Power, Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, and Alla Nazimova Region 2 Import

The Heart Of Me [DVD] [2003]
The Heart Of Me [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Helena Bonham Carter
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars NOT FOR A SAD DAY., 28 Nov. 2011
This review is from: The Heart Of Me [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
You can tell from the storyline that it will be sad and it is. However, I would not have missed it - the story is good but for some it may seem a bit predictable but then most love stories are. The acting is so good compared to current films , and once you get used to the flashbacks you will want to see it through in one sitting. Weep if you must but watch it!

Charotte Watson Butter Box
Charotte Watson Butter Box
Offered by Emporium Cookshop & Homewares

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the lid!!, 2 Dec. 2010
I read the previous review about the faulty lid but as it was dated 2008 assumed that something would have been done about it but no. My lid did not fit and one side doesn't appear straight.It also falls sideways into the butter! I eventually received a refund from the retailer (NOT from Kitchen and Home!) but then wrote to the wholesaler, Charlotte Watson, who admitted faults some time ago but thought that I might have been buying old stock (??over 2 years old??). I have asked C.W for a new lid and hope that will resolve the problem. 2 points here - the butter boxes are now made in Portugal, and I would strongly advise seeing before buying which might be difficult for some , but would save a lot of hassle.

The Bloodstained Pavement: Complete & Unabridged (The Agatha Christie Collection: Marple)
by Agatha Christie
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars The Bloodstained Pavement and other stories, 12 Dec. 2007
Although a lifelong fan of Agatha Christie,these Tuesday Club stories were rather spoilt for me by having a female narrator. I would have preferred a male rather than the familiar Miss Marple voice of Joan Hickson.
At times it was confusing as the mainly male characters were telling their own stories but narrated by Miss Hickson,and despite everything she never lost her distinctive Miss Marple voice! (One of the characters in each story was also Miss Marple). I shall not be purchasing the second set of stories as they are also narrated by Joan Hickson who detracted from my listening pleasure.