Profile for simon j nettle > Reviews

Content by simon j nettle

simon j nettle

Sunshine
Sunshine

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime slice of smooth soul., 18 Oct 2014
This review is from: Sunshine (MP3 Download)
Was actually shopping for "Dance" following a Twitter recommendation from Tony Blackburn when I came across this on Amazon. Found out "Dance" was not released yet so I gave Sunshine a listen, loved it and bought it. Lovely, slightly old school feel and Ramzi is a great singer. The icing on the cake would be if I could buy it on Vinyl, but I will put up with downloading if we can have lots more like this.

The 12" Singles Collection [VINYL]
The 12" Singles Collection [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb collection, 11 Jan 2014
I've been a huge fan of Nile Rodgers & Chic since the 70's. For the last few years it's been great to be able to go and see the band live and even meet the great man himself on more than one occasion but it was still like being a member of a fairly small, select club for those of us who knew how brilliant this band is. Everyone else would react with some surprise when you mentioned Chic and say they "didn't know they were still going" or for those younger than a certain age "who are they?". That all changed in 2013. Suddenly it seems like Chic is the hottest live band around, and Nile is in enormous demand to produce and play on other people's records. To those of us in the know, this is just the rest of the world waking up to something we already knew, but it's been amazing to see it anyway.

This is a great box set. It seems to be very under hyped compared to the "Up all night" greatest hits CD which was such a blockbuster last year. This is how you should listen to Chic's hits, on full length 12" singles. Sound quality is great and I had no problems with packaging or warped records. I have added my own inner sleeves though, and I think a booklet would have been a nice addition to the set. Now let's have a set of all the studio albums on vinyl! And above all, Nile surely the time is right for a new studio album from you and your amazing band. 5 stars!!

Now Then & Forever [VINYL]
Now Then & Forever [VINYL]
Offered by nagiry

5.0 out of 5 stars EWF Return to form, 4 Jan 2014
This review is from: Now Then & Forever [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This album is an absolute delight. I actually prefer it to some of the "classic" Earth Wind & Fire albums from the 70's. It's very much the EWF signature sound including some great horn parts, and Phillip Bailey's falsetto is to the fore and stronger than ever. All the tracks are strong, but I find myself listening over and over again to side one which is just a treat from start to finish. The vinyl is (as all LP's tend to be these days) a lovely thick 180 gram slab and there's no better way to listen to music.

Casio Men's Solar Powered Tide Graph Bracelet Digital Watch W-S210HD-1AVCF
Casio Men's Solar Powered Tide Graph Bracelet Digital Watch W-S210HD-1AVCF

5.0 out of 5 stars Great digital watch, 12 April 2013
Lovely, surprisingly light and comfortable watch with lots of features including tides and phases of the moon. The display is big enough to read easily and it's attractive to look at. The solar feature is very good, I left it on a window sill in the daylight for 12 hours when I first got it and the charge indicator went quickly to the max mark and in the several weeks since then has never gone below this although I haven't made any special effort to expose it to the light. The backlight on the watch is excellent and the whole of the large display illuminates clearly. My first LCD digital watch for years and I'm very pleased with it.