Profile for Hamstead > Reviews

Content by Hamstead

Hamstead (UK)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our four year old visitor absolutely loves these building tiles. They're easy to handle and manipulate and there is endless stimulation for the imagination. It's the sort of thing that parents will derive great pleasure from helping out with too. It's brilliant too that the pieces come with a travel bag - not something you often see in this sort of product and a real bonus. The only negative remark made was that they are a bit pricey and unless you know how brilliant these pieces are, you might be tempted to go for something cheaper. Once the child has played with them and you know what a stayer these pieces are going to be, then the value for money thing looks much better. This is an investment toy for a full childhood rather than a pocket money short fix.
Comment Comment | Permalink

The Truth According to Us
The Truth According to Us
by Annie Barrows

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable once you get into it., 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This novel is by one of the authors co-responsible for the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. This time the novel's setting is small town America in the 1930's and involves the usual secrets from the past that impinge on present behaviour. There is illegal bootlegging, unfinished business, suppressed emotions that are just waiting to erupt, and several instances of coming of age/finding oneself.
With all this going on I found this an engrossing and engaging read - once I got into it. At the outset I found it difficult to engage with what was going on. So many people were introduced as likely protagonists that it was like being at a party and having to constantly meet new people before I'd sussed out the one I'd just been talking to.
Once I'd got over that hump, everything improved and for the next few days I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch break with these characters and couldn't wait for my daily fix. Sadly I thought the ending tailed off and wasn't as strong as the mid section of the novel, but it was okay and tied up the loose threads.
I would say that this is perfect if you enjoy reading Fannie Flagg. It's very much in her style. Well worth the read, but be prepared to persevere at the outset.

BISSELL Multi-Reach 2-in-1 Light Weight Cordless Vacuum with 25.2 V Lithium-Ion, 115 Watt

2.0 out of 5 stars Not all that impressed, 10 May 2015
Positives:
This is a versatile device. It took a couple of minutes to work out how to operate it but once I'd had a go it was easy. It's beautifully lightweight and easy to use. It swivels well and copes well with hard floors. The base unit is easily deatchable for crumb cleaning and works very well in the car. It's also easy to take to pieces to shake out the dust. It's got looks appeal and it is very easy to store in a small place.
Negatives
It wasn't so happy on our thick carpet and we had a few shudders of the head unit.
Does it replace a 'proper' vacuum cleaner? Nope. I've just gone over the floors because of visitors coming later. The Bissell didn't pick up all the bits on the carpet but was selective. Some it liked; some it ignored. Ditto the kitchen. It failed to pick up some dropped carrot peelings. What dirt it did pick up then clogged around the top of the dirt collector instead of falling to the bottom. Then the brush roller came off and had to be slotted back in and seemed very cheap and plasticky. In the end I got fed up and returned to our 12 year old workhorse Sebo that dealt with everything quickly and efficiently - if a lot more heavily. If anything our manual Ew-bank quick carpet cleaner works better than this.
The price for the Bissell is way too steep too. I could buy a Sebo for the same price - and there'd be no contest which I'd choose. However, if you want something ultra light weight that looks modern and is easily stored you might like it better than I did.

Philips HR1867/21 Viva Collection Quick Clean Juicer, 2 Litre, 700 Watt - Brushed Aluminium

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this!, 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We love this! So far anyway. We've juiced oranges and apples in it to date and it's made easy work of both and delicious juice. What we really love is the no fuss cleaning. We had a magimix juicer that had stood in the cupboard for years because it was way too much of a faff to clean. This one does exactly as Philips says. It really does take only a minute to clean. The jug stands under the spout to collect the juice and there's no mess or spillage. The only thing you do get because it is so whizzy and fast is a layer of scum on top of the juice. You need to leave it to settle for a few minutes and then spoon off. The juicer also has some really strong silicone rubbed pad suckers underneath that really do adhered to the worktop and keep it still and steady. I guarantee this one won't be hived off to a cupboard to gather dust!

Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex RGB Gaming Mouse
Logitech G303 Daedalus Apex RGB Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - am converted., 1 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We absolutely love this mouse, so much so that I've just ordered another one for my PC. My husband tried this out on his PC which he uses mostly for games but also general internet use. He found it fast, responsive, excellent to manoeuvre and much, much better than the wireless one he had been using. There's no faff with having to change batteries. It's just plug in via USB port and go. I don't game, but I liked this mouse so much that I'm now using one on my business PC. I'm not that bothered about the gizmos, but I like the basic design concept and the light, swift responsiveness.

Nivea Cellular Anti-Age Skin Rejuvenation Eye Cream 15 ml
Nivea Cellular Anti-Age Skin Rejuvenation Eye Cream 15 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars It's okay, but more of the same., 27 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a light, pleasant easy to use product. It's not sticky and is easily absorbed. I'm not sure it did anything for the lines round my eyes but perhaps I'm a lost case. As with all these things it probably has to be done from a young age and on a long term basis, but in that case high factor sun cream will do a similar job. There is a lot of hype around these products. My own opinion is that it's okay and if it makes you feel good then fine, but don't expect miracles.

Morphy Richards 102004 Accents Kettle, 1.5 Litre, 3000 Watt, Red
Morphy Richards 102004 Accents Kettle, 1.5 Litre, 3000 Watt, Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice but Noisy, 12 April 2015
It's a stylish kettle that handles well. The way it sits on its large base gives an impression of solidity and robust manufacture (remains to be seen in longterm use). The grip feels good in the hand when filling and the spout is well angled to be able to fill from the tap. It is not the quietest machine out there; in fact when it starts out to boil water it is very noisy indeed. I hope this doesn't mean trouble later on. On the whole we're pleased with it, but we'll see how the performance continues.

Philips GC7619/20 PerfectCare Pure Steam Generator Iron - OptimalTemp No Fabric Burns Technology, 200 g Pressurised Steam Boost

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 12 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a wonderful piece of kit. It does exactly what it says in the blurb. It looks a bit of a monster when you unpack it down to the large water tank, but the iron section itself is light and easy to use. If you enjoy ironing it makes a joy of the task and even if you don't, you'll be delighted at how easy and fast it makes the chore. The iron is comfortable in use; there is plenty of steam and the technology means it will never spoil a garment by overheating on it, but at the same time has enough power for you to be able to iron both sides at once. By far the best of the ones we've tried. Only downside is the storage because it's not a small piece of kit. We had a Tefal iron as our main one - very good - but that has now been relegated to the spare.

Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Women
Scholl Active Work Gel Insoles for Women

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 3 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been trying these out inside my lightweight walking shoes. They're comfortable and add that extra cushiony spring to the step. They're also very substantial and are best for walking shoes and trainers. I had to cut mine down quite a lot, so they are generous in their size.

Tefal FV9630 Ultimate Anti-Calc Steam Iron - 2600 W
Tefal FV9630 Ultimate Anti-Calc Steam Iron - 2600 W

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 3 April 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of the better irons in a crowded market. It has a good design build and does the job well. It's pretty similar to the non Anti-Calc version but a bit heavier. Indeed the weight would be a slight drawback to some. My husband does the ironing in our household and remarked on its weight although it didn't cause him a problem. It's a solid piece of kit and does a super job of ironing clothes. A huge plus for us is the long flex which makes it so much easier to do the job. We live in a hard water area so the anti-calc will come in useful, but it's early days to comment on how long the cartridges last and how much use they are.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20