Profile for Hamstead > Reviews

The Chemistry of Beer: The Science in the Suds
by Roger Barth

3.0 out of 5 stars Badly Targetted: not for the general reader, 24 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The blurb for this book and the front cover led me to believe that what I was getting was a work that would appeal to the person in the street with an interest in doing a spot of home brewing and getting themselves clued up. However, the contents don't bear this expectation out. What one gets is a fearsome technical tome full of intensive chemistry and diagrams at degree level with questions to make sure you've understood each chapter. For the serious brewer thinking of going into business and needing to know the technical minutae it's perfect. But for the ordinary Joe, forget it.
Bottom line - it looks user friendly. It isn't.

The Original Spirograph New Generation Spirograph Optical 3D Artist Set
The Original Spirograph New Generation Spirograph Optical 3D Artist Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Good with caveats., 15 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Remembering the original Spirograph I thought the youngster in my family might enjoy it. She's at the lower end of the age spectrum and found it slightly difficult but I think will grow into it. The plastic pieces appear to be robust and built to last and it's excellent that this toy is being sold as non gender specific. The 3D specs require batteries and it might just be a gizmo too far. I would like to have seen a proper, robust storage container for the pieces and for this money, but it is an excellent, staple quiet moment or rainy day toy and recommended for any child's toybox.

Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book Book 1)
Rivers of London (PC Peter Grant Book Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... these out of curiosity after someone told me how good they were, 10 Nov 2014
I read the first one of these out of curiosity after someone told me how good they were. They were right. I'm hooked on the entire series now. If you're looking for something quirky, imaginitive and different to read, then this will fit the bill. Nearest comparison is Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. Certainly if you like Gaiman you will like Aaronovitch.

Braun ThermoScan-5 IRT6020 Ear Thermometer
Braun ThermoScan-5 IRT6020 Ear Thermometer

5.0 out of 5 stars Gives easy to read accurate results and is so easy to ..., 10 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Gives easy to read accurate results and is so easy to use. The four year old had a go and managed it no problem. It's a boon for anyone with young families or family members susceptible to infection. Readings are clear and accurate. The only downside is that it can't be operated without the plastic caps and these will run out at some point. So it's an extra peripheral expense you have to build in if you are thinking of buying and to hope that they don;'t suddenly become unavailable or obsolete as different models come along. But in the here and now, an excellent product.

Colgate C350 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush
Colgate C350 ProClinical Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for me., 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This one isn't for me. It's how I imagine having a buzzy fly in your mouth would feel. It's disconcerting and unpleasant. The brush doesn't get into the crevices even though it polishes okay and I found I got a much better clean with a good manual toothbrush despite this one's whizzy all singing all dancing claims. There's no cap for it which would have been an asset and the two pin charger is annoying.

Ultranatura Fabric Cover Sylt for Garden Furniture, Weather Protection Cover, Round or Square, for Table Sets and Chairs

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says - thumbs up., 9 Nov 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a solidly constructed canvas cover for outdoor furniture. We have a large oval table and although this is designed for round, it works perfectly well for oval too. It's been covering the table in some fairly wild, windy rainy weather of late and has done a great job of protecting it. Make sure you secure it tightly with the cords though because if the wind gets under it, it will belly out like a sail and be liable to take off! All in all it does what it says and will keep your outdoor furniture protected when not in use. It also comes with a handy plastic and canvas case which I suppose you could fold the cover back into when not in use (although suspect it will never fold as flat as when pristine and new), but that comes in very handy for bits and pieces when travel packing!

Philips E27 6 Watt LED Edison Screw, Warm White
Philips E27 6 Watt LED Edison Screw, Warm White

5.0 out of 5 stars We like this!, 30 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
We have gradually been changing our hosehold bulbs over to LED and have seen a reduction in our electricity bills as a result. We've also stopped having the electricity trip out whenever a light bulb blows. We can't comment on the longevity of these bulbs at the moment, but the brightness is good - we've got ours in the porch light at the moment. They're easy to fit and look traditional if you want that sort of thing. Expensive yes, compared to standard bulbs but should prove its worth in the long term.

Hufa S Cap Holder for Lens - Red
Hufa S Cap Holder for Lens - Red
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little gadget. I'm always putting my lens caps in my jeans pocket or down on a work surface and then can't find them. This keeps them safe and near to hand. It was simple enough to slot onto the camera strap of my Pentax. A simple success and an ideal stocking filler.

Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.0 (PC)
Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.0 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good so far..., 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used Dragon NaturallySpeaking before - a few years ago when using Windows Vista. Unfortunately there were some issues with it in that it kept crashing the PC and in the end I had to uninstall it. On my new PC I have tried using Microsoft Speech Recognition which comes built-in, but involves too much correction. I'm now trying out Dragon again and have had it running for about a fortnight. My job involves a lot of writing and I suffer from RSI, so a speech to text recognition program that works is a boon for me.
I'm still finding a few buggy issues with this new program. There are times when it slows my PC down, and waiting for it to update the profile at the end of the day can be a faff. However, it hasn't crashed my PC yet in a fortnight and the speech recognition itself is really good. I have dictated this review using it and only had to manually correct two items, which was easy enough. It works well combining with mouse and keyboard. I haven't used advanced commands so far; my requirement is more straight copy typing and I'm impressed with the accuracy of the recognition at this level.
The bottom line is that I am enjoying using this product and finding it very useful and a big improvement on the last time I use Dragon. It certainly centuries ahead of the Microsoft built-in program.

The True and Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters
The True and Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters
by Michelle Lovric

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The True & Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters is neither true nor splendid, but perhaps that's a deliberate irony in the title. The story is inspired by the tale of some sisters with extraordinary long hair who actually lived and the narrative explores some of the mysteries and obsessions associated with long hair that were particularly rife in the Victorian period.
Told from the viewpoint of the red haired sister sister Manticory, it's a sometimes over - frenetic tale of rags to riches, jealousy, strife, exploitation, extreme dysfunction, manipulation and love as the seven Swiney sisters, who originate from a rural starvation threatened Irish town, build an empire based on the foundation of their extraordinary hair.
I had a hard time believing in some of the characters and the scenarios that unfolded, but then in many ways it is told like a fairytale and the characters although fleshed out, play stock roles as you would expect in a Once Upon a Time book of folk tales.. Darcy the monster for example is never anything but a monster and the revelation of why she behaves as she does, is not especially convincing. What happens to her too, is also straight from folklore. It's better as a reader, to take it in folklore mindset. If you read it as reality it really doesn't hold up.
I was torn between three and four stars for this one, but felt that it was probably worth rounding up to four. Enjoyable and entertaining with caveats.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20