Profile for Hamstead > Reviews

Rosewood Apple BioSafe Dog Toy
Rosewood Apple BioSafe Dog Toy

3.0 out of 5 stars Loved it to bits - unfortunately., 5 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was a huge hit with our Patterdale terrier (Nuttall) from the minute it emerged from the package. He was desperate to play with it and ran off down the garden. We had a fun time throwing and bouncing and catching. Then while self and husband had lunch, he lay down in his basket and had a bit of a chew before he took a nap. This is the result and within an hour of emerging from the package. I would so love for a manufacturer to actually make a terrier-proof dog toy. The only one that has stood up to all the vigour so far is a Kong. We can get about six months out of one of those. The toy under review is still useable but it didn't last an hour with our dog.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)
Carmex Original Tube and Pot - (Pack of 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 5 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've given this 5 stars because my husband, the main user of such products in the house says it's much better than the one in current use - Boots basic lip-stick type. He suffers from dry lips and finds that the product is moisturising and lasts - basically does what it says. I thought it was good but the menthol tingle took a bit of getting used to. The vanilla scent isn't too overpowering and quite pleasant. Given that the main user is so enthusiastic though, this will become the household staple lip balm from now on!

AnySharp ABS Plastic Multi-Tool and Knife Sharpener, Blue
AnySharp ABS Plastic Multi-Tool and Knife Sharpener, Blue

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous and doesn't work., 23 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not impressed at all. This item is dangerous. I have the cuts on my fingers to prove it. The instructions are unclear and the sharpener itself didn't work. My knife ended up blunter than when it started - probably a good thing because the guard didn't protect my fingers and I wound up with two shallow slashes across my upper knuckles. It's very awkward to use and there's no comfortable position. It didn't work on the tools either. It may be that I was using it at the wrong angle but the whole idea of this is that it's supposed to be knife sharpening for dummies. I would say don't be a dummy and go for something else! I do have an Anysharp sharpener that sticks to the worktop by suction and it has been wonderful, but this one, as someone else said in their review, is going straight in the bin.

The Bones of a King: Richard III Rediscovered
The Bones of a King: Richard III Rediscovered
by The Grey Friars Research Team

5.0 out of 5 stars A good addition to the oeuvre., 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A well laid out scholarly and enjoyable book covering the recent find of the bones of Richard III and all the historical, scientific and social details connected with the find. I would definitely recommend it for historical books who like a well stocked shelf. It is unbiased in its approach. There's no Saint Richard here, and no evil hunchback either, just the facts. One does get the slight impression that Philippa Langley's input has been minimised, but it's perhaps not surprising in a book that covers the scientific in some detail.
I was a little surprised to find that the beginning of each chapter contains an introduction that's pure historical fiction. I wonder if one of the writers is a frustrated author of historical fiction? It would have been better without it I think, but it's not sufficient to dock a star and may well add to its general public appeal.

AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel Mini Chopper, Black
AnySharp Plastic and Stainless Steel Mini Chopper, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but works very well., 20 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The design of this chopper in its basic form has been around for years. This partcular one is small - you'll need to cut up a large onion into smaller pieces before you begin for example. Don't expect it to save you time when preparing a family sized meal that involves chopped veg. But it does make short work of smaller jobs and you don't have to be percusive for a long time. It's brilliant for chopping herbs and nuts and I used it most days last week for chopping mint to go with the new potatoes. It also goes in the dishwasher - hooray! It's provided with a plastic base that both protects the blades and can be used a container in which to chop.

Philips Series 5000 Hair Clipper HC5440/83 with DualCut Technology Cordless Use and Beard Comb Attachments

2.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Oh dear. We had a disaster with this. We have a fantastic set of Wahl clippers that we usually use and that are set to a number 2. Tried the Philips on a 1.5 and the victim was just about scalped! The cutters don't seem to equate to what they're supposed to cut on. The motor slows down when going through thicker hair - struggles to cope. The container is cheap plastic and the instructions inadequate. Perhaps we've just been spoiled by our Walh.

Ultrasport AB Roller Ab Trainer Wheel Incl. Workout Booklet
Ultrasport AB Roller Ab Trainer Wheel Incl. Workout Booklet
Offered by Ultra24Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, 12 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is robust and easy to use piece of kit - my parents used to have something very similar knocking about the house many decades ago! This version feels good in the grip and does what it sets out to do, providing you follow the instructions. I managed to pull some muscles first time out, but my fault I suspect! I also suffer from RSI in my lower thumb joints and found holding it uncomfortable, but under normal circumstances it would be fine.

The Chosen Queen (Queens of the Conquest 1)
The Chosen Queen (Queens of the Conquest 1)
by Joanna Courtney

3.0 out of 5 stars The very modern 11th century, 5 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This one wasn't for me I'm afraid. If you enjoy historical romances that wear the history with a modern mindset then you might like this. It certainly has pace. If you prefer your history to have an authentic feel of people who actually lived in the 11thc, you may want to look elsewhere. The decision to change the original given names of the characters for more contemporary ones probably had something to do with this. I couldn't believe in Brodie, Torr, Chrysta and Lane among others. I felt that the characters were modern people in fancy dress.

Rexel A4 40 Pocket See and Store Display Books - Black (Pack of 5)
Rexel A4 40 Pocket See and Store Display Books - Black (Pack of 5)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. Wipe clean, sturdy and versatile., 1 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I use these all the time both for business and home. I have a stash of them with recipes in torn from magazines. In use it prevents the recipes from being splashed and so easy to store for reference. When I have to travel I put my Google map directions in them (sometimes you need more than your mobile phone - or I do anyway!) and my talk notes. There are plenty of pockets in each one and they really do keep work clean and safe. I'm also going to use one for large seasonal photos that only go in picture frames at the right time of year. They have hundreds of different storage uses. I'd recommend these to anyone.

Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)
Playmags Clear Colors Magnetic Tiles Deluxe Building Set with Car (100-Piece)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love it, 17 May 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Our four year old visitor absolutely loves these building tiles. They're easy to handle and manipulate and there is endless stimulation for the imagination. It's the sort of thing that parents will derive great pleasure from helping out with too. It's brilliant too that the pieces come with a travel bag - not something you often see in this sort of product and a real bonus. The only negative remark made was that they are a bit pricey and unless you know how brilliant these pieces are, you might be tempted to go for something cheaper. Once the child has played with them and you know what a stayer these pieces are going to be, then the value for money thing looks much better. This is an investment toy for a full childhood rather than a pocket money short fix.
Comment Comment | Permalink