Profile for Hamstead > Reviews

Hufa S Cap Holder for Lens - Red
Offered by Carmarthen Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 19 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little gadget. I'm always putting my lens caps in my jeans pocket or down on a work surface and then can't find them. This keeps them safe and near to hand. It was simple enough to slot onto the camera strap of my Pentax. A simple success and an ideal stocking filler.

Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.0 (PC)
Dragon Naturally Speaking Premium 13.0 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good so far..., 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have used Dragon NaturallySpeaking before - a few years ago when using Windows Vista. Unfortunately there were some issues with it in that it kept crashing the PC and in the end I had to uninstall it. On my new PC I have tried using Microsoft Speech Recognition which comes built-in, but involves too much correction. I'm now trying out Dragon again and have had it running for about a fortnight. My job involves a lot of writing and I suffer from RSI, so a speech to text recognition program that works is a boon for me.
I'm still finding a few buggy issues with this new program. There are times when it slows my PC down, and waiting for it to update the profile at the end of the day can be a faff. However, it hasn't crashed my PC yet in a fortnight and the speech recognition itself is really good. I have dictated this review using it and only had to manually correct two items, which was easy enough. It works well combining with mouse and keyboard. I haven't used advanced commands so far; my requirement is more straight copy typing and I'm impressed with the accuracy of the recognition at this level.
The bottom line is that I am enjoying using this product and finding it very useful and a big improvement on the last time I use Dragon. It certainly centuries ahead of the Microsoft built-in program.

The True and Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters
The True and Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters
by Michelle Lovric

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 11 Oct 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The True & Splendid History of the Harristown Sisters is neither true nor splendid, but perhaps that's a deliberate irony in the title. The story is inspired by the tale of some sisters with extraordinary long hair who actually lived and the narrative explores some of the mysteries and obsessions associated with long hair that were particularly rife in the Victorian period.
Told from the viewpoint of the red haired sister sister Manticory, it's a sometimes over - frenetic tale of rags to riches, jealousy, strife, exploitation, extreme dysfunction, manipulation and love as the seven Swiney sisters, who originate from a rural starvation threatened Irish town, build an empire based on the foundation of their extraordinary hair.
I had a hard time believing in some of the characters and the scenarios that unfolded, but then in many ways it is told like a fairytale and the characters although fleshed out, play stock roles as you would expect in a Once Upon a Time book of folk tales.. Darcy the monster for example is never anything but a monster and the revelation of why she behaves as she does, is not especially convincing. What happens to her too, is also straight from folklore. It's better as a reader, to take it in folklore mindset. If you read it as reality it really doesn't hold up.
I was torn between three and four stars for this one, but felt that it was probably worth rounding up to four. Enjoyable and entertaining with caveats.

The One Plus One
The One Plus One

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but a tad fluffy, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: The One Plus One (Kindle Edition)
I have mixed feelings about this one. As always with Jojo Moyes it's a lovely, warm page-turning read with some interesting, sympathetic characters and quirky humour. A feelgood read that's a treat to read.
However,I found it difficult this time to suspend my disbelief. The plot was forced and at times very silly when I sat back and thought about. So the heroine was going to Scotland in a Rolls Royce because she couldn't afford the train fare? Just how much would the petrol cost her alone for a Roller? And then later on, to have the follow up from Edinburgh located at the other end of the country? (for convenience of the plot, but so unrealistic). There are some serious themes in this novel that the author tackles very well, but other parts that are just fluffy. A shame. I loved the novel on the surface but underneath it lacks substance.

ADDIS Twist Mop in Graphite
ADDIS Twist Mop in Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT PRODUCT, 10 Oct 2014
We bought our first one of these around two years ago. It has now come to the end of its working life and we have replaced it with another of the same. Our house has a large, stone-flagged kitchen floor. We live in a rural environment with three dogs and all the mud that entails in winter. This mop works brilliantly as far as our needs are concerned and the one that lasted two years had moderate to frequent use. The mop fibres were still going strong but the twist bands gave out in the end. The twist mechanism itself takes a bit of getting used to - my partner is better than I am, so gets to mop the floor more often than I do, but he has no problems and when the first one died, we bought the same again. It's really good value too.

Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)
Stanley STHT5-20211 20-inch/ 500mm Heavy Duty Saw (Pack of 5)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not top notch, but generally decent., 30 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a good basic product. One of these saws will saw through ordinary woodworking tasks easily enough. However,They do tend to drag a bit on bigger wood. I sawed up a hawthorne branch for the fireplace to try one out and although it did the job, I felt it dragged slightly. My usual saw is a cheap Bahco and that does the job better for a ballpark similar price. However, no major complaints here. Why you'd actually want five at a time though, I'm not quite sure. Does this suggest they go blunt quickly?

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window And Disappeared [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Gustafsson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 29 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a fun, quirky film this is. It's low budget and with subtitles, but neither of those things detract from the enjoyment. It's like a pared down Forrest Gump in some ways, filled with oddball characters who all have their particular journeys to make and are brought together by the old man. It's not fast action but moves rather at the pace of its protagonist, and although it involved various kinds of mayhem and murder, it still manages to have a gentle quality about it somehow. It's one I shall watch again and enjoy.

Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Sand
Pinzon Plush Velvet Throw Sand

5.0 out of 5 stars This is beautifully soft, cosy and comfortable, 29 Sep 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is beautifully soft, cosy and comfortable. In the winter months I always like to curl up on the sofa and read or watch TV with the warming layer of a throw. Although this is man-made fibre and not especially thick, it is insulating and warm. If you're thinking about it for a gift it comes in a lovely range of colours and is tied up with ribbon of the same colour you order. It's not big enough to use as a bed cover or as a throw for full sofa, but as a personal cuddle blanket it's great.

The Girl on the Train
The Girl on the Train
by Paula Hawkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Edgy on trend thriller., 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Girl on the Train (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The blurb for this should read 'Perfect for those who enjoyed 'Gone Girl'. Basically it has the same tone and the same kind of characters who are basically not that pleasant. What's okay on the surface, is revealed to be a lot less than okay underneath, leading to murder. The story is carried by the alternating voices of three women. Rachel the drunk, Megan the wife with secrets and Anna the mistress turned wife. It's an edgy thriller with plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader guessing. In terms of tone it has a lot in common with Gone Girl. What's real, what isn't. It may not be a good idea to read one after the other, because you may find yourself becoming bored by more of the same. However, it's a good read and will probably keep you turning the pages.

Tefal FV5370G1 Aquaspeed Ultracord Premium Steam Iron
Tefal FV5370G1 Aquaspeed Ultracord Premium Steam Iron

5.0 out of 5 stars My partner is the main ironer in the house and reports that it's better than the Phillips, 21 Sep 2014
When our Philips Iron dropped dead after several years of sterling service, we began shopping around for a successor. It came down to either another Phillips or this one. Reviews were about the same but with the Tefal just in the lead and slightly cheaper, so we went for it. My partner is the main ironer in the house and reports that it's better than the Phillips. It gets into the corners better and the steam control is better too. Certainly it's made ironing a faster experience of late, but that could be because our old one was just getting to be geriatric!
Anyway, another vote of recommendation. We like it. :-) .

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20