Profile for reading mum > Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 May 2016
As described

Garmin eTrex 10 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit
Garmin eTrex 10 Outdoor Handheld GPS Unit

1.0 out of 5 stars A glaring design error renders this useless for navigating., 2 Mar. 2016
Such a disappointment. I have owned Garmin Forerunners (3 in total), an Edge cycle computer and 2 satnavs. This is the most disappointing yet. My Garmin Forerunner handles routes better than this purpose-built machine. In theory the Etrex does everything you'd want, but it has a glaring problem. When I set up a route, the device places a large "lollipop" on each waypoint. This lollipop has the unfortunate result in obscuring some of the characters of the waypoint designation. So on a route one ends up navigating from point A0 to A0 to A0 to A0.... instead of from A01 to A02 to A03 to A04 etc. See the uploaded photo. When I'm navigating I have a plot of the route on a paper map so that I can relate one to another. The old Forerunner 305 did this perfectly, but this Etrex 10 fails on what should be a core task.

I have had long correspondence with Garmin, who one day tell me that there is no such lollipop on their lab products, but in another email tell me that it's standard and there's nothing I can do about it. I can't believe it IS on every unit, but after two months of frustration I'm giving up and returning it.

Bring back the Forerunner 305 please.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Bipra USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter Kit with Power Adapter for 2.5/3.5/5.25 inch SATA or IDE Drive
Offered by Bipra Limited Number 1 Hard Drive Specialist

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product - works well, 8 Oct. 2013
I've used this to recover data from several drives. I've used it for 2.5" SATA, 3.5" SATA and 3.5" IDE. Easy to use, comes complete with proper fused plug. Highly recommended.

Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera Body Only (14.2MP) 3 inch LCD
Offered by WAA Electronics

2.0 out of 5 stars A step backwards from the D40, 8 May 2013
In short, not as sharp as my old Nikon D40. Amazon very helpful in offering replacement and refund.

Detail. I've owned a Nikon D40 for several years, and decided to buy the D3100 as it was compatible with all my Nikon lenses. I bought from Amazon. I used the camera for the first time to photograph a 10k race. I was slightly disappointed with the images; some were out of focus, and most lacked colour; I felt that the camera was over exposing. I put the focus down to my needing to get used to a different focussing screen.

However, when I took some photos in the local arboretum I was very disappointed; they all lacked sharpness. I investigated further by setting up a tripod and photographing a bar code with text using the same lens. Every time the D40 produced sharper pictures using both manual and auto focus. I took the matter up with Nikon who gave me instructions on what settings to use to compare like with like. I took a series of three photos with the following settings:

Single point AF, Single Servo AF, Manual exposure

1. ISO 400, shutter speed 1/60 second and aperture f/5.6.
2. ISO 800, shutter speed 1/125 second and aperture f/5.6.
3. ISO 1600, shutter speed 1/125 second and aperture f/8.

Again, the D40 won every time. Nikon were less than helpful, but Amazon offered a replacement with no quibble; 10 out of 10 for service.

The replacement arrived and the results were the same; again the D40 was superior. I also tried using RAW images, with the sale result. So I have returned this 2nd camera and now need to have a re-think as to what to do; my D40 will fail at some time. Reading online reviews elsewhere, a number of others have identified a similar problem with the D3100.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2014 11:06 AM BST