Profile for Mrs. Sarah Brockwell > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Sarah Bro...

Mrs. Sarah Brockwell "SarahB" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Cabin in the Woods
The Cabin in the Woods
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish in the woods., 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: The Cabin in the Woods (DVD)
This was probably one of the stupidest, muddled films I have seen .It was a feeble copy of 'Hunger Games', but without that film's excellent script and good acting. In this film, a group of young people go to stay in a cabin in the wood, supposedly owned by a relation of one of them. When they all arrive, strange things begin to happen- we are never sure why or the rationale of the people who are in charge. One by one, the young people meet grisly ends (I still have no idea why) and we flash to a group of weirdos who are creating the mayhem. No clear reason is given for any of this rubbish, and the film sinks into unexplicable savagery.
What a waste of time for both viewers and actors.
Lack of a coherent script and plot is unexcusable.

Tudor Monastery Farm: Life in rural England 500 years ago
Tudor Monastery Farm: Life in rural England 500 years ago
by Ruth Goodman

4.0 out of 5 stars Tudor Monastry Farm, 8 Feb 2014
I watched the series on t.v. and was enthralled. My husband bought me this book for Christmas,, I love it. I have watched all the series, Victorian farm, Edwardian Farm and Wartime Farm and Victorian Pharmacy. Ruth Goodman is so hands on and tells us so much. V ery readable and makes us think about the present day - how would we have coped?

Wired To The Moon
Wired To The Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars My Chris Rea favourtite albums, 8 Feb 2014
This review is from: Wired To The Moon (Audio CD)
Takes me back to when I was young! I always loved the early Chris Rea albums the best of all, this and Tennis are my favourites.

Shatter the Bones (Logan McRae, Book 7)
Shatter the Bones (Logan McRae, Book 7)
by Stuart MacBride

4.0 out of 5 stars New MacBride, Shatter the Bones, 25 Feb 2013
I love Macbride's stories about Logan and Steel. Full of humour, extremely readable. This story is slightly far-fetched, but riveting, all the same. I hope Macbride doesn't 'write himself out', as several erstwhile authors have done. (Ruth Rendal for one). Extremely bloodthirsty, maybe a bit too much gratuitous violence, but if you can't take a bit of savagery and gore, Macbride is not for you.

Victorian Farm
Victorian Farm
by Alex Langlands

4.0 out of 5 stars Victorian Farm, 17 Jan 2013
This review is from: Victorian Farm (Hardcover)
I saw the t.v. programme and was enthralled by it. I find the book is very interesting, telling one how previous generations coped. Recipes are given for every day items, such as soap and cleaning materials. Much of the things we use now - at great expense, can easily and cheaply be replicated at home. People really worked and toiled in those days, with little respite, but holidays and festivals were celebrated in style with great imagination. Buy this book in conjunction with The Victorian Pharmacy. Great social history, we are in danger of losing the capability to fend for ourselves, we are far too reliant on manufactured resources,

Dyson DC40 Animal Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC40 Animal Lightweight Dyson Ball Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Offered by euroelectricals

4.0 out of 5 stars Dyson C40, 6 Jan 2013
This is a fairly lightweight vacuum. I have been using Dysons for the past 16 years, and I am very impressed with this new one. It cleans wonderfully. My only comment is that it tips over backwards very easily, it seems to be slightly top-heavy. However, I have no complaint about the cleaning ability and ease of use. I loathe housework, but have used this several times just to see how much dirt (and cat hairs) it picks up. Answer, lots and lots. I vacuumed a floor with my old Dyson just before I took delivery of the new cleaner, and was astonished to see how much more the new Dyson picked up an hour later, when I tried it out. So far, very satisfied.

The Sick Rose
The Sick Rose
by Erin Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars The Sick Rose, 22 April 2012
This review is from: The Sick Rose (Paperback)
Erin Kelly has written yet another interesting and quirky thriller. I did not like it quite as much as I liked her previous book, The Poison Tree, but I must admit, I found it hard to put down. Kelly is excellent on atmosphere and characters, and this story about two misfit people of very differing age, was compelling. They are both rather gullable and from the beginning, you can sense that there will be tears before bedtime - and there are.

Bosch PSB 18 VE-2 Cordless Hammer Drill (discontinued by manufacturer)
Bosch PSB 18 VE-2 Cordless Hammer Drill (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bosch PSB 18 VE-2 Cordless Hammer Drill, 1 Feb 2012
I bought this for my husband for Christmas, at his request. He is delighted with it and says it does all that he expected it to do. He finds it so useful when he has to drill where there is no electrical socket and it is in a handy carrying case.

The Death of Faith (Commissario Brunetti 06)
The Death of Faith (Commissario Brunetti 06)
by Donna Leon

3.0 out of 5 stars The Death of Faith, 1 Feb 2012
Donna Leon writes vividly about Venice and her books are always a joy to read. She plots her stories well and her characters are realistic and memorable. This story about a nun who has left her order is good, but maybe not Miss Leon's best. Leon has written a number of books about Brunetti and Venice, maybe she should take a rest before she gets stale?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2012 9:54 AM GMT

Darkside: A Novel
Darkside: A Novel
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars Darkside by Belinda Bauer, 2 Oct 2011
This review is from: Darkside: A Novel (Paperback)
This is a clever, troubling book that leaves one wondering, at the end of the book, what will become of Jonas?
The characters in this book live outside of the novel and although the ending isn't a complete suprise - one gets indications about half way through the book - the sheer tragedy and ingenuity left me quite perturbed. I read about 3 or 4 books a week, so it unusual for me to retain such a vivid memory in such detail. Ms Bauer is a writer of great talent, this book is completely different from her previous book, which was equally enthralling and original. I look forward to reading her next book.

Page: 1 | 2