Profile for roaringlooney > Reviews

Murder Ballads
Murder Ballads
Offered by westworld-

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!!! (If you like that sort of thing), 15 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Murder Ballads (Audio CD)
I actually love this album, but have to say it is an acquired taste. It focuses on, as the title suggests, murders. It is quite morbid and could be described as shocking. The content is sometimes explicit and there is a small amount of bad language....but what do you expect with a title like "The Murder Ballads"? I think this this is a great album and even find myself singing along. If you like Nick Cave, buy it. If you have a slightly warped mind, buy it. If you are rather morbid or have a fascination with murder, buy it. If you have an open mind and are prepared to encounter something new, buy it. On the whole I think everyone should buy it, if for nothing else, than to be impressed that Nick Cave managed, to a) come up with the idea in the first place, b) put the subject matter into lyrics and to music, and c) get away with it.

What Dreams May Come [DVD] [1998]
What Dreams May Come [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Movie
Offered by CVRD-Médias

4.0 out of 5 stars What a shock!, 15 Jan. 2003
I have to admit to being genuinely suprised at this film. I had always mildy fancied watching it. When I finally got round to it, many years after its' release I was left with a lump in my throat. Visually spectacular, this takes you to a completely different level. It make me think twice about ever falling in love and also made me wish for it at the same time. It left me with a feeling of sadness that even the most beautiful things can tarnish, and there is pain whichever way you look at it. With happiness comes sadness, and with sorrow comes joy. If you look past the unbelievable aspect of the film and into its' heart you will see what I mean.

Music From The City Of Angels Motion Picture Soundtrack
Music From The City Of Angels Motion Picture Soundtrack
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Jan. 2003
This soundtrack is pure brilliance. From first class performers, like Alannis Morrisette, U2, Peter Gabrielle and many more. If you havn't seen the film (which is an absolute must) you will still enjoy this soundtrack. There is a bit of an angel theme in the songs like Angel - Sarah McLachlan (which is hauntingly beautiful) and If God Will Send His Angels - U2. I Grieve - Peter Gabriel is brilliant, as is most of his work, but leaves you with a bittersweet feeling. All the songs on this album are fantastic and have a varied feeling about them. Its' also nice to see The Goo Goo Dolls as I have not heard of them since I was 15. Generally excellent.

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 25th Anniversary Edition
Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance: 25th Anniversary Edition
by Robert M. Pirsig

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most remarkable books of our time!!, 8 July 2001
I would not like to say that everyone should read this, it requires a certain amount of knowledge to understand what Mr Pirsig is saying, but I would say that it is a brilliant book which even an amateur could follow. I would not say it changed my life but It was a relief to find I am not insane and to think as this man does is not a sin. Not only does he show the finer points of philosophy but he embarks on the true meaning of quality. I found it extemely easy to read and felt compelled to finish it. I also have his second book, Lila, an enquiry into morals, I find that a little harder to read, although it has been said that this is the bible for the 90's. I have to say that Zen and the art of Motorcycle maintenance is one of the best books I have ever read, if not THE best. Many people search for enlightenment in different ways, reading this book was like waking up to a sunny day and smelling clean, fresh air for the first time.

Hannibal: (Hannibal Lecter)
Hannibal: (Hannibal Lecter)
by Thomas Harris

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast moving and Gripping, 8 July 2001
This book is truly awe inspiring. The quality of writing is outstanding and the very first line leads you into the book and keeps you held until you finish. Dr Lecter is courteous, cultural and concise even in his acts of murder. He holds an affinity with agent Starling and protects her sobriety. She is a pawn in the FBI's game, and Mason uses her throughout. The book focuses on the obsessive desire for money on the parts of the law and of revenge for Mason. It shows the ugliest parts of human nature. In this book Dr Lecter appears to be the most gracious of all.

The Devil's Advocate [DVD] [1997]
The Devil's Advocate [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 stars please, 15 Jan. 2001
This is one of the most excellent movies of all time. It takes you into the true millenium and leaves you wondering for the safety of "Gods special little children". Al Pacino gives an excellent performance. He is frighteningly good, dark, mysterious and sexy. Charlize is also brilliant, and your heart breaks for her in this movie. Keanu isn't bad, but he will always be part of Bill and Ted, and he does play his part well, he is easily led, and Pacino plays him like a puppet. A remarkable film made in a time where religion is used to disguise the actions of the individual, we all have "free will", each and every person who does harm in any way made a conscious decision to do so, and The Devils Advocate points out that although there is evil on every street corner, we choose to converse with it.

Weaveworld (Voyager Classics)
Weaveworld (Voyager Classics)
by Clive Barker

5.0 out of 5 stars A magical book with an underlying horror., 9 Dec. 2000
I loved this book, I have read it time and time again. It was the first Clive Barker book I read and it is now one of many. The Weaveworld is magical and the type of place dreams are made of, but the underlying evil which lurks within the pages also make it the stuff of nightmares. Particularly awful is the angel that does not flit around with fairy wings, but is a harbinger of destruction. Aside the darkness of Shadwell, Imacolata, the Magdelene and the Hag, the book has some nasty turns which make it an engrossing read. I couldn't wait to read the next page and finished it in a matter of days. Not only is it a remarkable piece of fiction, but it makes your mind wonder a little which is always an acheivement. Possibly one of the best books I have read.

Otherside
Otherside

5.0 out of 5 stars Another excellent track!, 9 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Otherside (Audio CD)
Yet again The Red Hot Chilli Peppers deliver an awesome track. As always they use their extensive experience to create a punchy yet melodic single. They can turn their hand to anything and do not dissapoint with "Otherside". It is part of the outstanding album "Californication" which is definitely worth buying, if you like the peppers you will love this. If you don't like them, this could turn you around.

Inconceivable
Inconceivable
by Ben Elton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Inconceivably Excellent, 6 Dec. 2000
When I read this book I laughed, I cried, I stamped my feet, pulled my hair, had tantrums, and threw the book across the room. I loved it and I hated it. I didn't hate it in a bad way, I hated it because it was too close to the truth. It is an amazing book in that it could raise so many different emotions and it is just print and paper. Ben really does see both sides and writes in a dramatically funny way. I love the way he makes you laugh one minute and pulls on your heart strings the next. I didn't know what to expect with this book, but since reading it have developed a new respect for the already highly thought of Mr Ben Elton.

Galilee
Galilee
by Clive Barker
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars The Geary women loved Galillee, I loved the book as much., 6 Dec. 2000
This review is from: Galilee (Mass Market Paperback)
This was not what I expected, but I loved every word. The style in which it was written, the twists and turns, the characters, every last page. I couldn't put this down! I spent evey last minute absorbed in this remarkable book. As you read you start to wonder what it is, that holds this book together, why it is being written and what is going to happen. Each character has a little place in all of us. I will always remember the content of this book, both admiringly and affectionately. It isn't just a book of war between powerful families, it shows the horror of power and greed, with a few demi gods thrown in.