Profile for B. Fitzgerald > Reviews

Content by B. Fitzgerald

B. Fitzgerald "open minded sceptic" (London)

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Died after 20 months - amazon offered me about 9 off a new one, 6 Sep 2012
I really feel the longevity of this product is poor. I know it's an electrical device, but I'd expect a longer life than 20 months.

I've looked after my kindle very well. It simply broke. In addition to the screen freezing up forever, the power switch had been "sticky" for some time and the volume button stopped springing back up on one side. The build quality didn't feel great.

A really good product but overall I regret buying it as it's lasted so little time.

All the hype about 3G access is of course meaningless when your device becomes a paperweight.

I had hoped for a more generous response from Amazon but it wasn't forthcoming. Perhaps they are loosing too much money replacing flakey kindles?

The Little Schemer
The Little Schemer
by Daniel P Friedman
Price: 20.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Friendly but intelligent, 26 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Little Schemer (Paperback)
The style of the book - a series of questions and answers, could only work if the author has a perfect grasp of the subject, a clear plan of how to impart it and a gift for making the complex accessible. It works beautifully. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Olympic Mascots Wenlock Policeman Figurine
Olympic Mascots Wenlock Policeman Figurine

1.0 out of 5 stars The UK is a turnkey fascist state, 29 May 2012
Thanks to New Labour - so this is the perfect gift to remind you of London - CCTV capital of the world!

Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library)
Unix Shell Programming (Hayden Books UNIX System Library)
by Stephen Kochan

5.0 out of 5 stars Lucid guide for beginners, 29 Dec 2009
I bought this years ago, learned loads from it and became a Unix SA. I'm now a developer but still use shell scripting now and again to achieve simple tasks quickly. This book teaches the reader how to understand what is happening on the unix command line. Using this knowledge you can combine unix's excellent stream based tools to perform complex tasks quickly.

I still recommend this book every time I meet someone who wants to learn how to write shell scripts. It would be the one and only book I put forward, and I cannot say that for other areas of computer science.

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, 2nd Edition (MIT Electrical Engineering and Computer Science)
by Harold Abelson
Price: 31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Eye opening book, 29 Dec 2009
Great book to read for someone from an imperative background (like me). I believe it's 100% relevant today.

I'd recommend getting hold of the lectures from MIT's site to accompany the book. Sussman comes across as utterly engaging in these.

Complete And Utter Zebu: The Shocking Lies We're Told Every Day
Complete And Utter Zebu: The Shocking Lies We're Told Every Day
by Simon Rose

1.0 out of 5 stars Revelatory if you are thick, 29 Dec 2009
Got given this book for xmas. Not read it all, just a few pages. Everything I've read is known to me and ought to be obvious to anyone who can think even a tiny bit. Many of the sections have no real point, just a muddle of moans.

Two things shock me:

1. People give this good reviews? I'd hate to go to dinner with them!
2. Someone wrote this, thought it was good and then managed to get someone else to publish it. Shameful.

The worst kind of negative Daily Mail tripe. Go out and get yourself a copy of a nice book instead and learn something rather than sneering about life. One example "razor sharp" point:

they use aqua instead of water on some ingredients lists because it sounds better than water.

If you need to read that in a book then review your entire outlook on life first :-)

Mastering HTML 4: Premium Edition
Mastering HTML 4: Premium Edition
by DS Ray

2.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner - and no wonder, 13 Oct 2001
I skipped through 300 pages - how come? Was it written lucidly? Humorous but engaging? Hypnotically formatted?
No. Sadly, it's because this book treats me like I'm stupid. When they say they are going to explain something, boy, do they do it. Even something very simple like creating a list (man, does it get more self explanatory?) or a button is "built up" by the authors.
Starting with

<INPUT TYPE="button">
then saying 'now we insert the value by typing'
<INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Hey, I'm a button">
And so on, add nauseum, no matter how simple. And so the pages fly by, as you need only read the last couple of lines, which contain the full tag structure to create an 'object' in all its glaring obviousness.
The idea that this is masting HTML is rubbish. Try "Starting HTML from scratch even if you are very slow to learn".
Wait! Maybe I really am an idiot. I once bought a Sybex book before and that was dumb-ass as hell, now here I am with another and thinking "why didn't you get Wrox? Why?".