Profile for Barbara Young > Reviews

Content by Barbara Young

Barbara Young

Page: 1 | 2
The 32 Stops: The Central Line (Penguin Underground Lines)
The 32 Stops: The Central Line (Penguin Underground Lines)
by Danny Dorling

4.0 out of 5 stars Facts from a social geographer., 29 April 2013
Another varied version of these Underground books. This time the author makes comparisons about the lives and social standing of the inhabitants of the various stations along the route, pointing out that poverty can be so different within two miles!

The Blue Riband: The Piccadilly Line (Penguin Underground Lines)
The Blue Riband: The Piccadilly Line (Penguin Underground Lines)
by Peter York

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh those school days on the Piccadilly Line, 29 April 2013
I travelled on the Piccadilly Line from an early age, with my parents, to visit my grandparents - Rayners Lane to Mansion Houe or Turnpike Lane i.e. a journey across north London, but via Piccadilly and Leicester Square. In the 40's I didn't know what was up above, just that it took well over an hour to make this journey to my family. Then in 1948 I started travelling to school, but Peter Yorke confines himself to the central part of London that this line serves and does not cover the suburbs out to Uxbridge and Cockfosters. He is, however, very interesting spilling new facts and figures, about Mayfair and Covent Garden. This os such a fascinating series from Penguin with each author being allowed to do his or her own thing.

Airfix A04005 North American B-25 Mitchell 1:72 Scale Series 4 Plastic Model Kit

4.0 out of 5 stars My favourite - the Mitchell B-25, 29 April 2013
Bought this for my husband who had been ill, to give him some creative input. He is a seasoned and prize-winning aircraft model maker and he is enjoyiing this item tremendously.

A Good Parcel of English Soil: The Metropolitan Line (Penguin Underground Lines)
by Richard Mabey

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Richard Mabey, as ever, 29 April 2013
I am alerted to any Richard Mabey publication and this one (short essay tho' it is) was as intersting as ever. I have lived along the Metropolitan line (i.e. in Metroland) all my life and in Chesham, at the end of the line, for 50+ years. Mabey describes many places well known to me in his own characteristic way which evokes childhood and school days, as well as describing nature in unusual and evocative ways. Did you know that tomato plants growing alongside roads, and in this case, the railway, indicate that people have thrown remnants of tomato sandwiches out of the window and the seeds have germinated?? This book also introduced me to the Penguin 150 anniversary Underground set and I have now have seven of them including the Piccadilly, along which line I travelled to school in the 1950's.
These little books are perfect presents for friends who might have connections with any of the lines.

The Daughter Of Time
The Daughter Of Time

4.0 out of 5 stars Rethink for Richard, 14 Mar 2013
I was thoroughly engrossed in this tale and read it pretty quickly. It was recommended to me and I found myself believing all that Josepine Tey had written. And why not? Her research has been rubbished a bit recently but I found this very plausible and, in the light of recent activities in Leicester, it is redeeming Richard quite forcibly. In any case, a good read!

Tudors: A History of England Volume II (History of England Vol 2)
Tudors: A History of England Volume II (History of England Vol 2)
by Peter Ackroyd

5.0 out of 5 stars Peter (the great) Ackroyd, 5 Nov 2012
I purchased this book because I have read Foundation (Volume 1) which is magnificent, but so far have only dipped into the new one. I am a great fan of Peter Ackroyd and expect this book to be just as wonderful as the first in the series. He has the capacity to find fine little details from sources and make them speak to the reader. For instance, Essex is in trouble in 1600 and called to a court. "He (Essex) was asked to kneel at the lower end of the council table; after a while he was allowed a cushion; he was then permitted to lean against a cupboard and eventually he was granted leave to sit upon a stool..." Such ignominy for one who had risen to great heights in the Queen's favour.
I learn that there are to be six volumes in this History of England and obviously as he works forward there is more to write about. The first volume covers England 8,000 years ago to the Battle of Flodden Field in 1513. The new volume opens with Henry VII's funeral and covers the coronation of Henry VIII to the death of Elizabeth, but Ackroyd himself decribes his theme as "the reformation of the English Church". A dull and learned subject? Not in the hands of Ackroyd.

The Perfumier and the Stinkhorn
The Perfumier and the Stinkhorn
by Richard Mabey

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Mabey masterpiece, 5 July 2011
This little gem is a collection of talks given by Richard Mabey on the BBC and here turned into essays that can be carried around and read and re-read. Mabey takes the senses - 5 of them plus what he calls the map of the world. This last he tries to describe as a sense of direction that comes from pottering around in nature. He then endeavours to explain "how powerful our unassisted senses are when guided by the imagination". I am now an addict for Mabey's writing and try to purchase everything he publishes. This book was a surprise as I had heard the talks on 'iplayer', but was so pleased at the perfect production of this little volume - delightful cover, creative illustrations by Michael Kirkman and, of course, Mabey's sublime literary discourse on his subjects - as the blurb says: to marry a Romantic's view of the natural world with the meticulousness of the scientitst. Profile Books have produced a small wonder.

Soil and Stone: Impressionism, Urbanism, Environment (Visual Arts Research Institute Edinburgh)
by Frances Fowle

5.0 out of 5 stars A worthwhile purchase, 5 April 2011
This is an academic book with essays by experts in the field of Impressionism. As a lecturer on Impressionism and particularly Monet and the post-Impressiionist van Gogh, it was good to read some excellent academic writing about the urban/rural dichotomy and the effects of great social change on the artists. The editors are unrivalled experts in the field and the book is very good refernce material for my work.

Monet
Monet
by Joseph Baillo

5.0 out of 5 stars the best ever, 5 April 2011
This review is from: Monet (Hardcover)
I was SO pleased to purchase this book at Amazon's price - I went to the exhibition in Paris, probaby the greatest Monet asemblage ever,and, as a lecturer on the subject had to have this catalogue. It is a wonderful work containing illuminataing essays of the latest scholarhip, together with all the illustrations of the exhibits. A must-have tome for my shelves and I didn't have to lug the 44 euros version home!

Mums Still Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Best-Loved Recipes
Mums Still Know Best: The Hairy Bikers' Best-Loved Recipes
by Hairy Bikers

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what was promised?, 5 April 2011
I am disappointed in this book and its companion "Mum's know best" purchased together because, having watched the programmes, the books did not contain the recipes I was interested in. I managed to download one of them from the recipe collection on BBC Food but have not found the others in the books. The rest of the book contains basic family cookery of which I have a ton in my house. I am still contemplating sending them back.

Page: 1 | 2