Profile for R Jacob > Reviews

Content by R Jacob

R Jacob (Stourbridge, West Midlands United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Last Light
Last Light
by Andy McNab

4.0 out of 5 stars Action All the Way, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Last Light (Hardcover)
Typical McNab, all good action and boys toys stuff. Good read as usual

Walking London
Walking London
by Andrew Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Discover London's Fascinationg Character, 15 Aug 2014
This review is from: Walking London (Paperback)
Brilliant book to accompany many great days out exploring this great City by breaking it down into manageable chunks of fascinating interest rather than just an open top bus type overview. A basic tourist guide will direct you to the main sights, and indeed most give a good outline description and history, but what is wonderful about this book, is that the routes chosen take you to places you would likely have either missed or walked past and not realised what they were. There are also hundreds of facts, points of interest and pieces of history I guarantee the vast majority of Londoners wouldn't know.

I had been using the 1999 edition and have completed many of the walks (some a few times over), however London does not stand still and there have been more recent constructions, not least the Gherkin commenced in 2001 and the Shard in 2003, so I decided to get an updated version. In truth although the layout and illustration of the maps have changed for the better and there are more photographs, I have compared some of the text and although at the time of writing this I have not done an in depth comparison, there does not seem to be a lot of difference to my previous copy. Example being the City East walk still makes no mention of the Gherkin but it is a very visible and dominant feature now within this walk, but maybe this will appear somewhere else as I look through.

Definitely recommend it, walking is by far the best way to see this City and this book has transformed my view of London from being an Ok place to visit and see the sights, to leaving me absolutely fascinated and enthralled with it's otherwise hidden treasures. I am a West Midlands resident but love to hop on a train as often as possible with this book in hand and head to capital and complete a walk or two as many walks can be linked if you feel more energetic.

Abru 3 Way Combination Ladder
Abru 3 Way Combination Ladder
Price: 49.99

5.0 out of 5 stars it's brilliant and I am very happy, 15 July 2014
Others have already said about rung depth and it's lightweight quality so if it's meant for regular or semi professional use it's not the one. For me, as I only use it for the occasions job requiring accessing the loft, a bit of decorating to my awkward stairs and landing wall, it's brilliant and I am very happy. For light domestic duties, if you are under 15 stones (max weight rating) it's super value for money. I based my 5 star rating on what I want it for, but I do accept the valid comments of other regarding some limitations.

Let's Go
Let's Go
Offered by raucous-records
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Great Music Alive, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Let's Go (Audio CD)
Excellent, great quality retro 50's style music. Good old fashioned vocal harmonies and clear precise instrumental backing. Seen the band live a few times and guess what? Yes good old fashioned showmen to boot!

This Is It
This Is It
Offered by raucous-records
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Great Music Alive, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: This Is It (Audio CD)
Excellent, great quality retro 50's style music. Good old fashioned vocal harmonies and clear precise instrumental backing. Seen the band live a few times and guess what? Yes, good old fashioned showmen to boot!

Taking By Storm
Taking By Storm

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeping Great Musis Alive, 9 Jun 2014
This review is from: Taking By Storm (Audio CD)

Oxford First Time Motorcycle Luggage Expander Expanding Tankbag 38L OL422
Oxford First Time Motorcycle Luggage Expander Expanding Tankbag 38L OL422
Offered by Global Bike Online
Price: 35.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Value On The Market (My View Anyway), 9 Jun 2014
Have owned a previous version of this product in the past so I knew it was great value and quality. Unfortunately I sold it when I changed my bike for one with touring boxes, and I hadn't but there you go. Changing my bike again and only wanting a top box rather than full pannier set, this product provides low cost excellent extra touring capacity. My current "front end" is plastic, so no good for the magnets, however using bungee cords to attached to the bag fastenings to the bike chassis gets over this. If you have a metal tank then it's no problem at all.

The bag can be zipped off leaving a transparent A4 map pocket behind or if attached there is another similar pocket on the bag it self. Also a detachable 'bum bag' and the main bag converts to a backpack. All in all a very clever well thought out and designed piece of kit, so don't waste your money on manufacturer branded overpriced alternatives.

One word of caution though never assume that soft luggage is waterproof, and although this does come with a pull over plastic cover, best put vulnerable contents in a separate plastic bag.

TIMETOP 4GB Swimming Diving Water Waterproof MP3 Player FM Radio Earphone IPX8 Music Format: MP3/WMA 4 Colors Available (Blue)
Offered by verydeal
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Briiliant, 18 April 2014
Had the Speedo Aquabeat before which was far more expensive, but when it went caput I though I'd try this. Works great although not quite the battery life of the Speedo. Also the head phone wire is a little bit more 'dangly' and it's not as easy to skip tracks/adjust volume whilst on the move. I do get 4 ish hours from the battery (I charge after every third 50 minute swim). I've never actually used the radio facility but as a music player it's fine, would recommend it without reservation.

TV / Digital Freeview Signal Aerial Amplifier Booster
TV / Digital Freeview Signal Aerial Amplifier Booster
Offered by MCM-Sales
Price: 19.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Just My Experience, 18 April 2014
Saw all the rave reviews so as it was offered at a good price I bought one. Arrived in just two days but only packed in a jiffy bag, no other box or packaging, no instructions, guidelines or any other information. Connected it up and the occasional picture break up I used to get was much more frequent and within minutes a total loss of picture altogether and my set displaying "no signal". Without instruction maybe there is something I should know (can't think what though), and I may be just unlucky but I'm arranging a return and refund. Others obviously love it so you may want to try one, at least you know that buying via Amazon gives you some protection if you have similar issues.

Speedo MP3 Player Earphones Headphone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Speedo MP3 Player Earphones Headphone (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Fine - A little Pricey, 18 April 2014
My original ones stopped working on one channel, so had to get a replacement. I love my swimming MP3 player, it make swimming less boring, but as the Speedo Aquabeat has also packed in now, I am using the headphones on the cheaper Timetop player I bought to replace it. My experience is that this speedo stuff is way overpriced and doesn't last vey long. My advice is buy the cheaper player as it is a fraction of the price of the speedo, and not much more than these headphones.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4