Profile for N. Helps > Reviews

Complete Bicycle MUDGUARD SET Front and Rear Black
Complete Bicycle MUDGUARD SET Front and Rear Black
Offered by bikes4life limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for the price, 6 Nov 2011
I agree with other reviewers that these do the job and for the price you cannot complain. That does not mean that they are sub-standard either. They seem robust enough and fitted easily. Yes, the metal connecting bracket is hard to push into the plastic, but since this is what holds the mud guard in place, that is no bad thing!

Blaze Gear Sega Master System LCD Handheld Small Box Version - Features 30 Master System and Game Gear Games
Offered by SupaStock

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the job for a young kid, 2 Oct 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Bought this for my younger son since he kept eying up my older son's DS lite....

Couldn't justify (or risk!) a DS lite for him due to his young age. When I saw this, I thought it sounded ideal. There is a good selection of games on there and the unit seems quite robust, which is needed! Buttons are simple and seem quite effective to me. Another reviewer said that they did not think that the buttons were very good, but they seem fine to me.

The item differed a bit from the advertised version, but only in minor ways. For example, it needs 3 x AAA batteries, not 2x. Also does not come with the video connection lead which I think it said it has. Being honest, hooking this up to a big modern TV would only be a disappointment anyway due to the low resolution. It does have a TV out socket though, so with the right cable you could do it. Sound is okay and there is (thankfully!) a volume control. Also headphone socket if needed.

It comes with 3 x AAA batteries to use initially, but I think these would be best replaced with alkaline or rechargeable ones. It also comes with a little screw driver for the screw that holds the battery compartment in place. A note about that. People complain about this and they do have a point. It is a bit fiddly. You can just take the screw out and the compartment will still hold in place with the clip. The reason that the screw is in there is down to the ever increasing burden of H&S rules. Due to the harm that batteries can do if swallowed by little darlings who don't know any better, all toys that take batteries must now have battery compartments secured with a screw. A bit excessive (and annoying) really, but that's "progress" for you....

* Lovely Silver Colour Photo Frame 10 "x 8" (Landscape Or Portrait) *
* Lovely Silver Colour Photo Frame 10 "x 8" (Landscape Or Portrait) *
Offered by Cygnet Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars As it says "lovely", 2 Oct 2011
Everyone's taste is different, but for me these are exactly as described. The frame is simple yet elegant and does not detract in any way from the picture (which is the object one should be looking at!). These frames appear well made and sturdy as mentioned before. I certainly recommend them!

EASY TAB 9.7 FRONT AND REAR FACING CAMERA MULTI TOUCH SCREEN 8GB 256MB ANDROID 2.2 FLASH PLAYER 10.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, but not a Maipad, 27 Aug 2011
Item advertised was a Maipad 7650 7" two point touch screen tablet with 4GB built-in memory. What arrived was an Eken M009S MID with 2GB NAND and without two point touch screen. It did have a separate 4GB SD card included. Contacted seller and they informed me that the Maipad was no longer made and so had substituted the alternative. It would have been better if the item description had been updated to be accurate, but never mind. The item was also not an Easy Tab 7" tablet as is being shown as I am writing this review...

Anyway, how is the Eken? It has 2GB NAND and is a fairly standard entry level MID. The supplier put a version of Android and associated software called "Singularity" on it. This is one of a range of "ROMS" that can be put on these devices. The M009S is very well supported in terms of available software because there are so many of them made. Singularity is okay, but if you want to get the best out of this tablet, I recommend taking that off and putting on a ROM called "Modroid". There are several versions (as of writing this review, v8 is the newest). This ROM has been written with the express intention of making the tablet perform as optimally as possible. All the "bloatware" has been removed and what is left is a really slick and fast software for the device. You get android 2.2 and access to the full Google app market. Makes the tablet run very well for an entry level device. For the price, it becomes a very capable little device.

Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 3, 7-inch Android Tablet with 3G Connectivity + Wi-Fi, Quad Core 1.2GHz Processor, 1GB RAM, and 8GB Memory (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not brilliant, 21 Aug 2011
Before reviewing this item, I want to mention that I initially ordered the android 2.2 version of this without the case/keyboard. It was on Amazon at a good price and for a capacative 7 inch device with a 1.2 GHz processor and 8 GB onboard NAND storage, it looked ideal. It arrived very quickly, but I was immediately not impressed with all the finger prints all over the touch screen. I reasoned that they had to try it and so this was just QC use. However, I was still unsure. After some use, it became clear that this was not the device it purported to be. The available NAND storage was way too low for a 8GB device. I contacted the seller and they said there should be about 6GB available. The device only had somewhat over 3GB available. Given the obvious use it had already had, I think it was actually either a refurb device or the supplier had made a mistake. I should make it clear that the outer packaging clearly indicated that it should have been 8GB and there was even a sticker on the side of it saying 8GB. However, I am sure it was only 4GB. When I did the return, the item listing for the device had changed since that version was now (only a few days later) not available on Amazon.

Anyway, I decided to return it and order the Gingerbread (2.3) 8GB version with the keyboard case as well (only £10 more than the one without the case). This took a little longer to arrive, but when it did, it was obviously a brand new device. The screen was covered with a protector (unlike previous one) and it was pristine. So, how is it? Very good is the answer. The capacitive screen is very responsive and a joy to use. The tablet feels fast and certainly has handled anything thrown at it so far. The only reason I have not given 5 stars is that the WIFI range is very limited. It is actually by a country mile the least sensitive WIFI device I have ever used. Unless you are very near the wireless router, the connectivity is awful. Mind you, this seems to be a feature of most of these tablets and a cheaper resistive tablet I have is even worse. It does represent a major issue though and one that needed me to set up a spare router as a repeater downstairs so that the tablet could be used downstairs. For this, it drops a star and only gets 4. It is still a very nice bit of kit though and feels like a quality device.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 16, 2011 8:25 AM BST

Home Defence Ant Stop! Bait Station
Home Defence Ant Stop! Bait Station

5.0 out of 5 stars This really works, 6 May 2011
I bought a pack of these years ago when we were living in another house and an ant problem outside the house. We now (or I should say *did*) have an ant problem inside our current house. I tried dealing with the issue by hoovering all the time and squashing as many of the little terrors as I could. However, it was a losing battle and I did not want to use powder in the house. Hence, was trying to find these traps in various places locally. Tried loads of shops in vain, and eventually got a pack in a well known DIY store. However, ordered these off Amazon as well to ensure we had a good supply of them and because they were cheaper (free delivery too!).

I read the reviews on Amazon and saw that there was some variation. However, I needed something clean, simple and safe (young kids around), so that is why I bought these. They are also very reasonable price, so it was not much to gamble.

I broke off a couple of tags on each unit and then put them down where the ants were coming in. They did not seem to take an instant like or dislike to them. My eldest son sat for ages inspecting the proceedings and informed us that some ants were going into the traps. Not massively reassuring, but I thought it might take a day or two. By the following morning there seemed to be very few ants around the place, which was good. By the next day, there were no ants visible anywhere and there have been none since. Hence, I can report that these units work extremely well for us. Why they failed for some people, I don't know. At the risk of stating the obvious, you do need to break off at least one tab from the unit to allow the ants to go in. If you don't read the instructions and just put them down without doing that, then the ants will not go away.

I'm very happy with how these have performed. They should also last at least 3 months, so are minimal maintenance.

Buffalo Ministation 1TB USB 2.0 Slimline Portable External Hard Drive - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic value HDD, 6 May 2011
Was looking to get some additional storage to keep HD movie files on. Had previously bought some Buffalo 500GB portable drives and was thinking of the same. However, this stands out as double the size for not much more than the 500GB version cost.

It arrived quickly and I reformated it to NTFS immediately. Transfer times are perfectly acceptable and for me the short USB cable is no issue. Visually, the drive is very attractive. It has a shiney black finish and the funky blue light. It is a little narrower and shorter than the 500GB just store drive, but it is also a little thicker. However, the over-riding feature is that this is a very small drive, but packs in a whole TB of storage.

TeckNet® Kindle Keyboard Premium Folio Case / Cover for Amazon Kindle Keyboard / Kindle 3 - Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the price, 20 Mar 2011
Wanted a proper case for the kindle without the price tag of most kindle cases. When I saw this on Amazon, I instantly liked it due to the colour. It arrived very quickly and when I opened it, I found it to feel and look well made and quite sturdy. The kindle fits perfectly and is held securely in place. When closed, the cover does not press on the screen. One slightly odd thing I found was that the clasp hinges from the front ie magnetic closure is on the back of the case rather than the front). This is opposite to the picture and meant that I opened up the case the wrong way round initially. I will probably keep doing that too, since logic (at least mine!) dictates that the closure will be on the front... I saw a review of another case where it seemed to have the same style of closure. It might even have been a different colour of the same case. Anyway, it is a minor issue really. For £10 with free delivery, one cannot complain. This case will protect the kindle and looks and feels great. Okay, it is PU (synthetic) leather, but that is not a real issue. Inside the case where the back of the kindle sits is a nice bit of suede too (or synthetic suede?). That will also help to keep the kindle snug in the case. Does mean that the speakers are obscured, so if you really need to hear them, then this may not be the case for you. I imagine most people will use headphones anyway, so I don't see this as a big issue either.

Overall, this seems like a well made product at a very reasonable price.

Buffalo MicroStation 64Gb Portable Solid State Drive - Crystal Black (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Will leave you wanting more, 16 Mar 2011
This product has it all (almost). Small and very neat, simply does its job. Bought it to attach to a portable media player to save carrying around loads of kids DVDs when traveling. Copying content to it is quick and it just plugs into the media player and is recognised instantly. Takes all its power (which is not much, since SSD are very "green") from the media player, so no other cables needed. I had tried to use a standard portable HD, but they are rather fragile and on a portable media player, I was worried that it would not last. Also, the power consumption meant that it could not run off the media player USB power. I therefore needed a separate power adaptor and "y" cable. All a bit of a pain.

So, why say it has "almost" everything? Simple, at £100 for 64GB of storage, this is expensive storage. For a SSD drive, this particular drive is very well priced. However, SSD drives are expensive in comparison to standard HDs (£100 will easily you 1TB of portable HD storage). Hence, it will leave you wanting more space on the drive. Mine is already completely full of video and the kids still want more stuff put on there... I can't really justify another £100 for a second one, so they will just have to put up with what they have got!

Hence, bottom line. If you want compact storage that is shock resistent and reliable, this could easily fit the bill. However, you might (like me) find that you have filled it up very quickly!

Belkin F5D4071uk Powerline Turbo Adaptor, Twin-Pack (85mpbs) White
Belkin F5D4071uk Powerline Turbo Adaptor, Twin-Pack (85mpbs) White

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh dear, what a shame..., 9 Dec 2010
I had great hopes for this item. Actually bought from another source, but exact same item. 85mbps (megabits per second) is approx the same as 10 MBps (megabytes per second). This is acceptably fast for most purposes and should be more reliable than a wi-fi signal that can experience interference and drop out of signal. Hence, I was very excited to try these when I got them. First impressions are good. The units look well made and come with a quick start guide (which is basic to say the least), CD, power leads and 2 x ethernet cables. Plug them in to 2 adjacent sockets and the blue lights come on. Plug one ethernet into the router and the other into the computer ethernet port. Link is achieved very quickly and some initial checks shows that the computer has picked up an IP address and can connect to the internet. That is about as good as it gets I am afraid...

Bear in mind that for testing, both units were plugged into adjacent power sockets. Hence, next to no distance between them. Copy a CD iso image to network storage (with proper ethernet connection, achieve about 8-9 Megabytes per second). With the homeplug, get about 2-3. That is still okay, but way less than the 10 one might expect. Try the same but separate the homeplugs by a few metres of distance by plugging one into a socket a little further away. Bear in mind that the product literature says it can be used up to 300m. Copying same iso image and speed has already dropped to only 500kbytes per second. Wow, that is a big drop for only a couple of metres of separation. Now take the second homeplug downstairs and plug it in where it is intended to be located. Try the same thing again and now I am even getting problems mounting the network share, let alone copying the file. Keep getting errors about share not being available and copy process failing. Speed has dropped (when working at all) to just a few kbytes per second!! Think I must be doing something wrong, so check everything, change password on devices, try everything I can to get better network speed. Nothing works. I should say that the utility software that comes with the devices still shows a fairly fast (40mbps) speed even when I am downstairs. However, I am measuring the actual network speed using a separate speed meter to get an accurate idea of speed. Hence, it looks like the utility software does not report the speed correctly.

This is all very disappointing and I am having to send the items back since they just do not perform as they should. I had great hopes for these, but they just do not function properly. I think if you want to get a new ethernet port only a few meters from your router, then these might behave acceptable. I wanted to get a connection about 10 metres away and it was hopeless. I need a quick link because I want to stream video. Gone with the G wireless connection I had already and I can get about 2 megabytes per second downstairs, so massively better than the wired homeplug connection.

Maybe my units were defective or the wiring in my house is not up to the job. Don't know. Others have seen similar issues though, so I am more inclined to think that these things just cannot perform at the level they are portrayed to funtion at. That is a shame, because if they did work at the level stated, then they would be an excellent product. My advice, think very carefully before buying if you want to try to get a fast link over any other than a very short distance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7