Profile for N. Helps > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
OLAF Snowman PLUSH Medium Size 12'' FROZEN DISNEY Original 30cm
OLAF Snowman PLUSH Medium Size 12'' FROZEN DISNEY Original 30cm
Offered by uktoyworld

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and a nice size for little arms to cuddle!, 5 May 2015
Made a little Frozen fan very happy. Much better value than the smaller versions I saw.

2 Way Indoor TV Aerial Splitter, Free F Plugs
2 Way Indoor TV Aerial Splitter, Free F Plugs
Offered by NowView

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 5 May 2015
This does exactly what it says. The supplied connectors were a great bonus. Also comes with fixing screws. Perfect solution for splitting an aerial supply.

Silverline 633570 Cable Access Tool Kit 10 x 330 mm - 13 Pieces
Silverline 633570 Cable Access Tool Kit 10 x 330 mm - 13 Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value. Just please use them sensibly., 28 Feb. 2015
For the price, these are excellent. I note some reviewers giving them low star ratings because they don't stand up to being pulled hard.... Users should be realistic regarding their expectations. The screw ends are crimped onto the rods and so are likely to become detached if pulled hard. However, that is not the way to use these (or any) rod. Use the rods to PUSH through some sturdy line and then use the line to pull through your cables. Line does not push well....! Hence the need for something to accomplish that aspect of the process. Used sensibly I expect these to last a long time.

DBPOWER USB HD Borescope 2 Million Pixels CMOS Endoscope 8.5MM Diameter with 5M Inspection Tube (5M 8.5mm)
Offered by Bravo Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent with nexus 7 tablet, 28 Feb. 2015
Bought this to investigate source of strange smell in kitchen. Suspected a waste pipe might be leaking but, could not see properly due to cupboards etc. Managed to resolve the issue before the camera arrived but never mind. Sure camera will be useful. I have done some testing of the camera. Thought I would have to use it with a pc because there was no mention of it working with a tablet. I can rectify that! It works very well with my 2012 nexus 7 tablet. My nexus is rooted but this should not be needed. Root access was not asked for when I ran the app I used. The nexus is running kitkat. That is the reason it is rooted... Lollipop is horrible on the 2012 nexus 7 and so I had to go back to KitKat. Since that process involved wiping the tablet I decided to root it at the same time. Anyway to get the camera to work I needed a standard OTG connector and an app. There are various ones on the app store. I tried a couple. One needed root access and only took stills. The one I will use routinely is called "easy OTG camera". It is add supported but these are not intrusive. The app allows video (mp4) and still images to be collected. I thought to start with that it was not working but I had to select the camera using the icon (looks like an on/off switch) in the top left corner of the screen. As soon as I did that all was fine. I should mention that I am not linked in any way to the app developer. The app is supposed to work with various devices and cameras, but quite a few people say it does not work. If it does not work on your device, try one of the other apps on the store!

As for the camera, it produces nice images from a few cm away from the lens up to maybe 20-30cm. Beyond that it looks a bit fuzzy but the whole idea of this camera is close-up work so I see no issue with the performance. The LEDs are very bright and give good illumination. The image is offset a bit which is good for seeing down the sides of objects being looked at.

Overall for the price it is great, especially since it works well with the nexus, meaning it is very portable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2015 6:53 PM BST

Skylanders Portals of Power Spyro
Skylanders Portals of Power Spyro

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good toy for a Skylanders fan, 2 Jan. 2015
This has made my youngest son very happy. He is a great Skylanders fan and loves this toy. It is a good size and the remote control lights and sound are really neat. I would recommend for anyone with a child who is into Skylanders.

Energenie ENER002-2PI remote control sockets with Raspberry Pi controller board - white

5.0 out of 5 stars A good purchase if you are a bit of a geek, 2 Jan. 2015
Fabulous bit of kit if you are a bit of a geek and prepared to do some scripting on the pi. I have a couple pi computers I have used for various things and was going away over Christmas and wanted to be able to turn on and off some Xmas lights remotely. Yes, I could have used a timer, but I have a growing pile of dead ones that have stopped operating for various reasons and I thought it would be nice to be able turn the lights on and off when I wanted. The two sockets and the pi PCB arrived quickly and I fitted the PCB into a pi. I also added the extra aerial wire that is recommended. This needed a small hole to be drilled in the pi case. There is some rudimentary Python code available from the manufacturer, but I would recommend searching around on the net a bit, since there are some nice websites giving better instructions and code. I ended up using "pi-mote" linked with the bottle Python web framework. This allows you to log into a simple web page hosted on the pi that gives you control of the sockets. This allowed me to turn on and off two different sets of lights whenever I wanted to. I could check that it had actually worked by viewing an IP webcam. It worked really well either over 3G from my phone or from my iPad over wifi at home or when I was away. As I said, a bit geeky, but it did the job well and I can control a radio or other lights if away at other times.

Braun Oral-B Professional Care 600 Rechargeable Toothbrush with Precision Clean Brush Head
Offered by home-bargains

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly functional but not repairable when the battery goes, 2 Jan. 2015
The toothbrush works fine, as have the previous two I had. However, therein lies the reason for the three stars. I really should still be using the first one I purchased, but I can't because the battery lost capacity after a year or so and needed charging every day. I guess I should not really complain since these items are not expensive, but it annoys me that an otherwise perfectly functional item has to be discarded for the sake of the battery. I therefore did some searching and found a site selling replacement batteries. The problem with the batteries in these toothbrushes is that they are not "standard" batteries. They are 2/3 AA batteries and to compound the issue, they are soldered onto the PCB. It almost seems like Braun don't want anyone trying to replace them... Anyway, I bought a replacement battery and then tried fitting it. Unfortunately, the soldering points for the battery are very near to other components and when I had finished, I had managed to unsolder another component. I tried to put it all back together, but the toothbrush just did not work, so I had to grudgingly buy another one. A year or so on and the battery in that one also died. Deja vu.... Anyway, I still had the battery from before, so set about trying (more carefully) to fit the new battery. This time I was absolutely sure that I had not damaged the PCB in any way. However, yet again, on putting everything back together, it just did not work. It almost seems that there is something about the PCB that needs constant power from a battery in order for it to work at all. Hence, here we are on toothbrush number three. I am sure it will work well for a year or so until the warranty is finished (bear in mind that the battery will be excluded from the warranty anyway - they always are). Now, if Braun made these things with a standard AA battery that could easily be replaced, I would have no problems giving it 5 stars. However, it seems that is not the way manufacturers like to operate nowadays since it means they can sell a whole new unit just because the battery gives up. "No user serviceable parts inside"..... On purpose.....

7dayshop Sport V4.0+EDR Bluetooth Wireless Sport Stereo Earbuds Headphones Headset with Mic - Funk Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 1 Jan. 2015
Bought these because my son keeps breaking the wires on wired headphones. Was a bit concerned about a potential issue that people have said can affect all Bluetooth headphones, namely a lag in the sound when watching videos that makes the video unwatchable. Since my son mostly watches Minecraft videos where people are speaking, but where lip sync is not a major issue, I decided to give them a try. They paired easily with both an android device and a windows 7 laptop and I am pleased to say that there does not appear to be any lag on videos when using either device. My son is very happy and so far the headphones seem to be doing exactly what I needed. Having listened to the sound from the headphones, I can also say the the sound quality is very good.

TP-LINK TD-W8968 300Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections (USB Port for Storage Sharing, Printer Sharing, 3G Modem Sharing, FTP Server and Media Server)

1.0 out of 5 stars Should work well, but doesn't, 1 Jan. 2015
Hopeless. Bought this as a supposedly better and more powerful router than the "free" basic one provided by my ISP. It certainly looks better (more configuration options, more wired connections, USB device connectivity, etc). However, it simply fails to deliver in the most basic and important feature, namely wifi range. The connectivity drops off even a short distance from the router and is much worse than the basic and free router provided by the ISP. A complete waste of 30 quid.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2015 5:39 PM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems like it will be useful., 8 Sept. 2014
I bought this because I was recording a voice-over on a training video. In the end, I did not use it, since the foam windshield I also bought for the microphone seemed to be adequate. However, it seems well made and I am sure it will be useful.

I noted a couple of reviewers commenting on it not staying in place. Due to the coiled nature of the goose-neck support, you will find that you need to attach it a particular way "up". Otherwise, the coiled neck will keep uncoilling and the head drops. I also found that the clamp did not screw in tight enough to hold it onto the tubular tripod leg I wanted to attach it to. I had to cut some plastic tubing and fit this around the leg to make it a bigger diameter. Then the clamp worked fine. However, as noted above, I then removed it and did not actually use when doing the recording. I might try without foam windshield and using this instead for another voice-over I need to do, just to see how well it actually works.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11