Profile for N. Helps > Reviews

Content by N. Helps

N. Helps

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Samsung Galaxy S 8GB Wi-Fi MP3 Player with 4.2 inch Display - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gadget!, 24 April 2013
It looks a bit like an ipod touch and has white headphones like an ipod touch. It plays music like an ipod touch and you can play Angry Birds on it (like an ipod touch). However, it is not an ipod touch. This is a good thing, since the ipod touch is ridiculously expensive and I would not dream of giving it to a kid who is about to turn 7. However, at the less ridiculous (blooming fantastic actually!) price on Amazon right now, I was prepared to shell out and buy it. Before "the kid" gets his hands on it, it will need to be protected from bumps and bashes, so a silicone sleeve is on order and should be here before "B-day".

The item itself has a lot of "wow" factor - at least for me anyway. It has very clean lines, is thin, has a great screen with a good resolution and really clear text icons. I played a demo video that came with the device and it looks stunning on the screen. I am sure Samsung chose a video that would look great, but the clarity of the images was amazing. The multi-touch capacitive screen is also really easy to use and responsive. It has Gingerbread Android operating system on it, which is not the latest version, but that is no bad thing. Like all operating systems, as they get more sophistocated, they also get bigger and slower (unless you have the latest, fastest processor). I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace II phone with Gingerbread on it and an update for Jellybean has just been released. However, I will stick with Gingerbread for now, since there are reports of Jellybean being really slow on the Ace II. No such problems with this device. It starts up in next to no time and is ready for action. Battery life is said to be quite good. I have not tested that yet. I'll leave that to the kid! I have not tried it out extensively, but I have downloaded some apps to get "the kid" going (including Minecraft, which "the kid" was desperate to get - don't think that runs on an ipod).

Some people gave this a poor rating because it is not a phone....! Really, I mean, just read the description before buying. I actually don't want "the kid" having a mobile phone yet (or possibly ever....) and so this little gem is just the ticket. All the "Appiness" (sorry for the poor pun) he could want, but no worries about the big bad mobile world. The wi-fi can be turned off easily too. The only thing that would make it perfect would be the ability to have limited user accounts that cannot go in and edit settings. I don't think this is possible on Android (at least not Gingerbread). However, that is not a big issue (I hope....).

Let's hope the kid is happy with it and does not drop it and break it on the first day of use.....

aLLreli Micro USB Host Mode On The Go OTG Cable [LIFETIME WARRANTY] for Google Nexus 7 2 II / 10 / 5 | Motorola Moto G Xoom | Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3 S2 Note 4 / 3 | Galaxy Note 8.0 / 10.1 2014 Edition Tab 3 / pro 12.2 / 10.1 / 8.4 / Tab S 8.4 / 10.5 / 13.3 | HTC One M8 | Nokia Lumia 2520 | Tesco HUDL 7" plus | Toshiba encore | Acer Iconia | Asus Memo Pad HD | Lenove Thinkpad 8 IdeaTab | LG G3 Pad | Sony Xperia Z2 / Z1 / Ultra | Dell Venue 7 / 8 / Pro Android Smart Phone Tablet PC
Offered by ForPower(aLLreli TM)

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly, 28 Mar 2013
Not much to say really. It works fine. Plug it in and off you go. I got it because I wanted to be able to connect a 3G dongle to my tablet (not wanting to pay the extra for a tablet with buit-in sim slot, given that I have already got a dongle). I have not yet connected the dongle to the tablet, but I have used the cable and it fits fine into the tablet. The 90 degree connector also means it is nice and neat when the tablet is in use.

Nintendo Wii Controller (Wii)
Nintendo Wii Controller (Wii)
Offered by Global Xpress

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price for this, 28 Mar 2013
This was a pre-owned genuine nintendo controller. I always think it is better to get the genuine controllers for these types of devices, but I was not willing to pay the extortionate price for a new one. I looked in second hand (pawn broker) shops locally, but they either did not have any or the prices they wanted seemed high. This one was at a very reasonable price and arrived quickly. It works perfectly and now means three of us can "Mario Kart" around the track at the same time!

BlackBerry 1.5 Metres USB Data Cable for Micro-USB Handsets
BlackBerry 1.5 Metres USB Data Cable for Micro-USB Handsets
Offered by Goldcables

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says, 28 Mar 2013
This is a sturdy and long cable. I bought it so that I could route a cable round the inside of the car and up to the phone holder on the screen. I hate those "coil" cables that look horrible. Although this is not long enough to do the job in one go, by joining it to another standard USB extension cable, it reaches nicely up to the holder. Just the job.

Wayzon Black Premium Organic Leather Horizontal Belt Clip Holster Case Cover Skin Pouch Wallet For Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160
Offered by Wayzon

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 28 Mar 2013
This arrived quickly and clips securely onto the belt with a very strong clip. The phone fits nicely into it and the magnetic closure holds the phone securely in the holder. I had previously got a "flip" case, which was fine, but I found I was constantly putting the phone down on desks, seats, etc and I was worried that I would leave it somewhere. This belt clip is much better, since after use, one simply puts the phone back in the case (a natural thing to do in order to protect it) and then you don't have to worry about remembering to pick it up when leaving.

Ford Mondeo MK3 10/00 - 03/07 BOSCH Super Plus Windscreen Wiper Blades SP22 / SP20 TWIN PACK
Offered by Extreme Auto Accessories

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product at a very good price, 28 Mar 2013
I needed to change the wipers since the ones I had were not working well - smearing and juddering. Those were cheap ones from a supermarket that I got to replace previous ones. They worked okay for a few weeks and then started to judder. The final straw was when the MOT came due and there was an advisory about the wipers. I decided to get some better ones and these looked the part. They arrived quickly and (unlike what a previous reviewer said), they are identical to the picture and clip onto the wiper arm exactly like the originals. Do an excellent job too. No juddering and the screen is now clear when I need to use the wipers.

I would certainly recommend them. The garage quoted at least double the cost for a pair of blades of similar quality.

PowerGen Power-U Dual USB 2.4A 12W (fast) Heavy Duty Ouput Car Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad mini, iPhone 5 iPhone 4 4s 3Gs 3G, iPod Touch and Android Devices (cable NOT included) - White
Offered by E-TRADING24 LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 12 Feb 2013
Looks nice and has two USB ports, so can charge two items at once. I don't have any Apple products and so cannot say if the "Apple" specific port does the trick for those gadgets, but for my android phone it works a treat.

Supergets® Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 I8160 Black Top Flip PU Leather Case, Screen Protector, Stylus and Polishing Cloth
Offered by DMobiletooth

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice case, 12 Feb 2013
The case itself is nice looking and the "leather" (which is PU leather, so not real leather) is smooth and soft. The holder for the phone clips around it well. I think the case protects the phone well. The screen protector and stylus are good additions. I only give it 4 stars since the case has no access in the bottom for the charger. Hence, you have to leave the case flipped open in order to charge it, which seems odd.

iZKA® - EXTRA LONG UK Micro USB Mains Power Wall Supply Charger For Raspberry Pi - (1000mAh / 1A)
Offered by iBox Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars It powers the "Pi" fine, 12 Feb 2013
Yes, it fits the pi and powers it. Lead is acceptably long. I have not used it extensively and so cannot comment on durability, but it seems fine.

Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Samsung I8160 Galaxy Ace 2 Sim Free Mobile Phone
Offered by Connected247

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous phone, 12 Feb 2013
I am a bit of a late adopter in the smart phone market. Kept hanging on and telling myself that I did not need one. What would I use it for? I hardly ever made phone calls on my previous mobile, let alone used the radio it had or the camera (actually, the camera was a useful feature).

Anyway, I eventually pursuaded myself to get a smartphone and then started the immense task of choosing one! There are so many. Thankfully, I did not want an iphone (price tag or status symbol). I also did not want one of these mini-tablet things that people seem to be getting nowadays. I also did not want the most basic version available. Hence, the options became more limited since I wanted a mid-range and mid-sized phone. Had to be Android (of course!), but not necessarily the latest version. I wanted a sim-free one so I could swap sim if abroad and so I could use my current sim here in the UK.

This phone ticked all the boxes. Samsung is a world leader in the electronics market and their phones have a very good reputation. This one has an upgraded screen, processor and memory relative to the original Ace. I also got a "nearly new" one from Amazon, which although it did not have the original box, came with leads and charger together with some basic instructions, together with a large discount! The phone itself looked like new. Not a mark on it.

I just love the good sized display, which is crystal clear and even very small text is easy to read. It has two cameras, GPS, wi-fi, bluetooth, etc, etc. The list of features is almost endless! I am finding new uses for its "smartness" all the time and I am soooo pleased to have decided to get it. The only problem I found so far is that I failed to answer the first call I got on it, since I did not realise I had to "swipe" the green button to answer. I kept prodding the virtual button with my finger and eventually the call was missed! I thought that there must be something wrong with the phone, but once I read the instructions, all became clear. It seems I am not as smart as the phone.... D'Oh...!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2013 1:00 PM GMT