Profile for Ms Penny > Reviews

Content by Ms Penny

Ms Penny "Ms Penny" (England)

Bad Science
Bad Science

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and educational, 10 Dec 2014
This review is from: Bad Science (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyable read. Covers many of the ways science is abused by culprits such as the media, drug companies, advertising execs and all manner of other purveyors of pseudo science. The author clearly knows his stuff but explains the science bits in a very straightforward manner that is easy for a non scientist to follow, with some nice touches of humour along the way.

Hamish MacBeth : Series 1-3 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD]
Hamish MacBeth : Series 1-3 (6 Disc Box Set) [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rainy day viewing, 9 Nov 2010
Very enjoyable drama elevated from usual BBC tea time fare by a great performance from the lead - Robert Carlyle. I enjoyed it when it aired in the 90's and it's aged pretty well. I'd actually forgotten that it can be quite a dark show in places but only to be expected in episodes dealing with murder or character death and the lighter stuff is never far away. It kept me happily entertained over a cold, rainy weekend anyway. I knocked off a star due to lack of extras plus lack of a booklet listing the episodes and a missing episode from the first series. The picture quality isn't HD but looked & sounded fine on my TV.

Riff Raff [DVD]
Riff Raff [DVD]

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and thought provoking, 7 July 2010
This review is from: Riff Raff [DVD] (DVD)
This is a great little film. The acting is first rate, the characters feel totally real and the humour is equally natural. There are political points being made in the film but again they arise out of the very real life situation the characters are in and the director doesn't hit you over the head with them. Shame the DVD has no extras but for the price definitely worth buying.

Stargate Universe - Complete Season 1 [DVD]
Stargate Universe - Complete Season 1 [DVD]

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Sci Fi, 7 July 2010
I'd seen quite a few episodes of the previous Stargate shows and found them entertaining as light hearted episodic Sci-Fi but not something I'd make an effort to watch. Stargate Universe is a very different animal. I think it's of higher quality in terms of acting, production values and characterisation but it also has less in the way of instant gratification and stand alone episodes. I came in part way through the series on the episode 'Time' and loved the way it didn't spell out the ending as most TV shows would have. I then caught up on the earlier episodes in one go online and I think that helped get me hooked on the characters. The machiavellian Dr Rush is particularly fascinating & Robert Carlyle is worth twice whatever they're paying him. I'd say if you enjoy well acted character based drama or you like science fiction that doesn't feature technobabble instant fixes and human type aliens with space lasers each week and you have the attention span to follow an arc heavy show without clearly defined heroes and villains then you have a good chance of loving Stargate Universe.

In Rainbows
In Rainbows

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive listening, 7 Jan 2008
This review is from: In Rainbows (Audio CD)
I enjoyed most of this album from the first listen in October and would have graded it as good. However I found myself drawn back to it repeatedly over the past few months and it seems like I hear something new every time. I'd now rate it as my favourite album of 2007. It's subtle, haunting, melodic and just plain beautiful. It also flows wonderfully as a complete album rather than just a collection of songs. Don't take my word for it you can listen to the whole thing on You Tube anyway but I would advise you to give it a few plays and some time to get under your skin, you wont regret it.

Under the Iron Sea
Under the Iron Sea
Offered by MediaMerchants

3.0 out of 5 stars Wait for the Singles Collection., 25 Jun 2006
This review is from: Under the Iron Sea (Audio CD)
This isn't a bad record but it only has about 3 genuinely memorable tracks and two of those have already been picked as singles. Apart from Atlantic and Is it Any Wonder the best track for me is Broken Toy, though that may be cause some bits of it remind me of Pyramid Song by Radiohead.

If you're not already a big Keane fan I'd wait for the Greatest Hits Collection.

The Eraser
The Eraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtly Beautiful, 1 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
I'm loving The Eraser more with each play, it's a real grower. Don't let the electronica tag put you off it's an album of real songs with tunes and great (if cryptic) lyrics. It does fall into the electronica genre, but there's some guitar and piano too and often the beats are pretty stripped down with the vocals really taking centre stage. Basically if you liked Kid A or Amnesiac at all you'll be fine with this. The overall mood is pretty dark and subdued but there's warmth to offset the tense,eerie moments and somehow it feels like a pretty personal record even though alot of the lyrics probably have political connotations. Overall it's a beautiful record and I can't emphasise enough how wonderful Thoms voice & vocal melodies are, he really outdoes himself.