Profile for Yossarian > Reviews

Content by Yossarian

Yossarian

Kodak Hero 7.1  All-In-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan)
Kodak Hero 7.1 All-In-One WiFi Printer (Print, Copy, Scan)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great all round printer at a reasonable price, 31 Jan 2012
This printer was purchased as a personal printer and was replacing an old HP950 which had served me very well for 9 years. I bought this Kodak printer attracted by the fact that it is a multi purpose printer and that the ink cartridges are low cost. The WiFi connectivity was also a major deciding factor as I wished to minimise the requirement for cables and also to have the flexibility of printing from any room in the house.

The set up of the printer was very straight forward, the instructions were clear and logical and I was up and running very quickly. Please note that ink cartridges are included with the printer but a printer cable is not. There was however a difficulty in setting up the WiFi, initially I had to rely on the direct cable connectivity until a techie friend figured out how to get the WiFi working. Apparently the WiFi connectivity between the laptop and the printer was getting confused with our WiFi broadband modem. It was necessary to open up an additional port on the laptop to enable the WiFi, once done it has been working excellently. Perhaps Kodak could expand their instructions to cover this type of issue.

I have done quite an amount of trouble free printing. The quality and speed are very good and the duplex facility is really excellent and helps save paper. The software that comes with the printer is also simple to install and is user friendly, this is particularly helpful when using the scanning facility.

Al in all I am really happy with this printer. The price was very reasonable and the delivery from Amazon only took a couple of days.

John Giles: A Football Man - My Autobiography
John Giles: A Football Man - My Autobiography
by John Giles
Price: 7.80

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoughtful and insightful book on football, 5 Oct 2011
This is indeed an excellent account of the football career of a great player. It is well written with some excellent photo pages. John comes across as honest and while critical of some aspects of big name managers such as Busby and Shankly he is always fair and expresses the opinions as his views. This is a good read throughout and I particularly enjoyed the insights into who were the hard men of the 60s and 70s, some surprising names came up. As an Arsenal fan I was delighted to read of his respect for the Double winning team of 71.

My only criticism is that the book is too short. I would have liked more information in relation to his team mates and some particular games such as the shock defeat at Colchester in the FA cup. Well worth a read for anyone interested in Giles himself, the great Leeds team or in the football era of the 60s & 70s.

The Stranger's Long Neck: How to Deliver What Your Customers Really Want Online
The Stranger's Long Neck: How to Deliver What Your Customers Really Want Online
by Gerry McGovern
Price: 13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great practical advice, 29 Aug 2011
I am a fan of Gerry's weekly emails. These are thought provoking and full of good ideas. It was because of my positive experience with these that I purchased this book. I was not disappointed. This book is full of insightful information that can be put to use in any web site. The layout is very simple and effective - the "headline text" presents very powerful statements that are easy to memorise.

The writing style is engaging with a nice sprinkling of humour which again is a good memory aid.

All in all a good read with lots of useful information and suggestions that you can actually use in your web site.

The Terrible Privacy Of Maxwell Sim
The Terrible Privacy Of Maxwell Sim
by Jonathan Coe
Price: 10.21

2.0 out of 5 stars The King has no clothes, 7 Jun 2011
This was the first book by Mr Coe that I have read. I found it slow to start and difficult to get into caring about the characters. The plot was slow moving but improved considerably as the book progressed. The author has a clear writing style and uses language well, the Rising Sun section was the most interesting and compelling in the book, in my view.

I'm in the camp who felt let down by the ending. I can't make up my mind as to whether Mr Coe was being extremely innovative and clever or was rushing to meet a deadline. In any event I felt cheated as indeed other reviewers have also outlined.

I was left wondering whether or not this novel would have been published had it been submitted by a first time author rather than an already successful one.

However, I will not let this experience put me off other works by Mr Coe and shall delve into some more of his novels.