Profile for My ID's Not Government Property > Reviews

Content by My ID's Not Go...

My ID's Not Government Property (Oxford, England, UK.)

The Diary of Jack the Ripper
The Diary of Jack the Ripper
by Shirley Harrison

1.0 out of 5 stars It's been proven as a hoax!, 15 May 2008
An interesting story - but one that is better suited to a novel.

So many people see this as "fact" - but the truth is, there really is no history to the diary before its apparent "discovery" in 1991. It simply materialised and the forensic evidence is not confirming it, which, conversly, Harrison asserts is the case.

Most subsequent researchers and Ripperologists agree that this is a pretentious hoax. It is a theory - nothing more, nothing less. It's a compelling story but, as has been said, it is just too fantastical to be really convincing.

With its Aristocratic conspiracies, Freemasonry, American landowners...it's a fun novel, but as for solid, historical research? It doesn't hold water. If it did, it would have been solved and proved by now - but there are too many assumptions and holes to make it truly credible. In 17 years, nobody has been able to say "this is true" and professionals have dismissed it out of hand.

Oh, there is one small fact to point out. The man who supposedly "discovered" the diary, confessed in 1995 that he had forged it and his wife had typed the transcript.

I think that little issue does very little for its credibility...especially as he seems to be a consummate liar on more than one issue.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2011 4:39 PM BST

Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed
Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed
by Patricia Cornwell

1.0 out of 5 stars In order to sully the name of an innocent, dead man, 15 May 2008
She should be thoroughly disgusted with herself.

Untrue theories have been presented as "facts" to fit the story.
If facts do not sit with Cornwell's theory, they are conveniently ignored.

If it had been sold as a fictional story, a bit of whimsical fun, then that is one thing. But she has attempted to besmirch the reputation of a brilliant artist, an innocent man.

Nearly every historian (and Ripperologist) has written this off as an absolute travesty - badly researched, inadequately written and unprofessionally carried out.

Mind you, she's the one who loses the most - she's sunk millions of dollars of her own money and is laughed at by proper researchers.

Just a shame that you can't give it no stars at all...!

Dandelion Dead [DVD]
Dandelion Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Kitchen
Offered by RCDiscs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a must-have DVD for the collection, 15 May 2008
This review is from: Dandelion Dead [DVD] (DVD)
What can I say that hasn't already been said?!

The actors are superb, the story is riveting.

It is indeed a real case. Herbert Rowse Armstrong was executed for the murder of his wife and the attempted murder of a business rival in 1922.

Interestingly, he has the honour of being the only solicitor executed for murder in Britain!

There's not much else I can add, except that if you love murder mysteries and aren't afraid of a bit of real sadness (the effect on the children is heartrending) then you should definitely consider buying the DVD.

You won't be disappointed - I only wish it could be given more than 5 stars!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2012 10:11 AM BST

Portable Folding Speakers for iPods & MP3 Players - White (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Tcity

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't go near this - total waste of time, 27 April 2008
I paid for these speakers full price from a high street store.

At first all was fine - they were enjoyable enough. However, they broke after just 2 weeks. The batteries didn't run flat (I tested them in other devices) - the item just died and I couldn't make it work. I tried using an AC adaptor - and it still wasn't functioning.

I took it back to the shop and they happily gave me a replacement.
The second one had a strange buzzing and static sound, couldn't get any songs whatsoever to play through it.

I took it back and tried (Heaven help me) a third time.
It had no output whatsoever, so I had a full refund.

I haven't lost any money, but I was disappointed and totally hacked off with the frustration and shoddy quality of it all.
If you want some decent iPod speakers, these are not the ones for you.

Avoid at all costs.

The Complete Steptoe & Son [DVD] [1962]
The Complete Steptoe & Son [DVD] [1962]
Dvd ~ Harry H. Corbett

4.0 out of 5 stars I am absolutely NOT buying this - on principle, 26 Mar. 2008
Don't get me wrong. I love Steptoe - I think the writing of Galton and Simpson is sublime.

BUT I bought every series and the specials as they were released. Although it makes for a pretty, colourful array on the shelf, it is such an expensive way of doing things.

The BBC has a nasty habit when it comes to doing this - with "One Foot in the Grave", "Dad's Army" and anything by Tony Hancock...to name but three. I am told that the boxset contains full versions of the programmes whereas the individual discs are edited in places. So what exactly are you getting for the money? At least with the fiasco that is the Hancock Boxset, you have an extra episode not included in the original releases.

The 4 stars are for the wonderful content of the DVDs themselves.

I'm not impressed, BBC. You know how popular Steptoe is, even now. Harry H. Corbett died before I was even born and I was still brought up watching this programme.
Steptoe and Son is a British Institution and fans deserve better than this.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2008 7:40 PM BST

The Tony Hancock BBC Collection (8 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1956]
The Tony Hancock BBC Collection (8 Disc Box Set) [DVD] [1956]
Dvd ~ Tony Hancock

4.0 out of 5 stars Stone Me - Stop All The Whingeing!, 17 Feb. 2008
I, like many others, bought each of the separate releases.
I was annoyed at the fact "Succession" had been left off, but I shopped around and picked up my anniversary collection for just £29!
A bargain indeed - especially when you consider the fact there are more extras. I paid for the boxset and sold my other copies.

The only reason I'm giving this product 4 stars, is because the DVD sleeve artwork is awful. So unattractive, heavy, depressing colours (or lack of them), dull, badly drawn etc. (Although inside it's blue and green, which is much better). In addition to this there is - bizarrely - no leaflet detailing which episodes are on what disc! If you are looking for a particular episode you have to remove every single disc so you can read the list written underneath. However, even the font style on this is illegible (Slanted and in Bold, but sized about 12). The lists are located under the clips holding the DVDs in place! My sight is perfect and I had real problems working out what it said. If you have a sight impairment, you may well find it a struggle.

Saying all that, the content of the discs is wonderful. A fitting tribute to Tony Hancock - as a die-hard fan I was thrilled to discover great extras as well! Interviews, the "lost" episode and PDFs (a great idea). Also, Scene Selection and full subtitles go without saying.

So BBC - not impressed AT ALL with the physical design. But for £29 I'm happy to just have them all together. 4/5 - due to the bad design. They really could have done so much better. They must have known how popular this was going to be.

Atonement Child
Atonement Child
by Francine Rivers

4.0 out of 5 stars outreach through personal adversity, 16 Jan. 2008
This review is from: Atonement Child (Paperback)
A lot of people may not know this, but Rivers herself had an abortion in her younger days. This brave, well-written book, explores the search for forgiveness and understanding in a narrow, often bigoted, world of ignorance.

A brilliant achievement.

Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A]
Apple iPod shuffle - 512MB [M9724B/A]

5.0 out of 5 stars I refuse to bow to peer pressure, 2 July 2007
Why oh why does everyone assume I am too poor to afford a Nano or something, just because I have a Shuffle? I don't like the larger, 30 GB iPods - and all I hear about is how they break. This one, on the other hand, is slim, compact and absolutely fantastic. It's never let me down.

As for the reviews moaning that it cannot skip albums and doesn't have a screen - well that is the point! It is cheap and cheerful and works brilliantly. It is dead easy to charge up and you can always change the playlist in a second. iTunes is problematic on my laptop, but the Shuffle? I love it!

DIGIHOME DVB915 FREEVIEW Digital Terrestrial Receiver with SCART Lead
DIGIHOME DVB915 FREEVIEW Digital Terrestrial Receiver with SCART Lead

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money - very happy, 2 July 2007
This is an absolutely fantastic player. Works perfectly, excellent signal, receives every available channel in my area. Cheap and cheerful but great quality; definitely good value for money. Easy to use and straightforward to set up, channel changing is quicker than most makes of Freeview box. Remote control is fine and buttons are well designed. The actual box itself is slim and posesses a nice clear display.

My only beef really is the fact that occasionally the box might crash. Saying that, however, it's only happened about 4 times in all the months I've had it. To rectify this problem, I suggest you select "install" from the main menu, then just reinstall the channels. All is well in a matter of seconds. Not all channels are actually lost - just a few - but through reinstalling it is easily sorted.

I was so impressed I bought one for my Mum and hers is exactly the same - 100% working perfectly. I think - and always have thought - that Cable and Sky are complete wastes of money. Too many channels showing utter rubbish. Through Freeview, you get lots of extra channels you might actually watch, like ITV2, ITV3, ITV4, BBC3, BBC4, More4, E4, Dave, UKTV History, plus all the extra radio channels.

I am really happy with it!