Profile for PobbleDobble > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Coding for Beginners: Using Scratch
Coding for Beginners: Using Scratch
by Jonathan Melmoth

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starting point for budding programmers, 8 April 2016
A brilliant book that is easy for adults who are NOT technically minded (me!) to follow and to help their children to achieve the results shown inside. It really does go through each step clearly and isn't bogged down with techy jargon or lengthy explanations and just has short, sharp points that end in a great animation. My daughter loved it and so did I.

Make Your Own Dress Patterns
Make Your Own Dress Patterns
by Adele P. Margolis

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books on pattern cutting, 13 Feb. 2016
This book is one of the very best for providing accurate, technical and also plain English instructions on pattern cutting/drafting. I have oodles of books as I am a collector (hoarder!) but this is one of my absolute go-to's when it comes to referencing a technique, etc. Don't be fooled by the small size of the book as it is packed full of information. I draft all my patterns but you don't need to be experienced to use this book - as long as you have patience, follow the steps in a logical order and use common sense you will amaze yourself at how much confidence and skill this little book will give you.

Fashion Pattern Cutting: Line, Shape and Volume
Fashion Pattern Cutting: Line, Shape and Volume
by Zarida Zaman

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 13 Feb. 2016
This book looked so promising but in reality it is doesn't really deliver, in my opinion. There are simple sketches and notes on some of the steps needed to achieve the results but it by no means provides step by step instructions on how to recreate designs. I wanted to make a garment with the plaited fabric effect but there is no guidance whatsoever on it and I am not entirely sure the pattern is correct - but, even though I draft my own patterns I am not a leading pattern cutter so I can't say this is definitely wrong but it simply doesn't look right. It could have been an amazing book if the author had just spent some time clarifying how she got from point A to point B but as such it comes across as just a marketing portfolio of finished garments and is not a pattern cutting book at all. Would I recommend it? Most certainly not as there are so many other books available at the moment and one that I am waiting to buy is from the designer Shingo Sato. I should have returned this as it really is a disappointing book.

08-04-16 - I have now worked out how to do the plaited puff for a raglan sleeve but through trial and error only and certainly not from the instructions contained within the book. If only the author had actually presented more guidance (written or drawn) on how to achieve the techniques shown in the photo's then I am sure she would have received a huge amount of positive reviews. It is so frustrating that this has been published as a pattern cutting reference when it is, in my opinion, only a coffee table book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2016 2:38 PM BST

Safari Toob at Ancient Egypt
Safari Toob at Ancient Egypt
Offered by Prut

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money!, 23 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Safari Toob at Ancient Egypt (Toy)
These figures are brilliant and I absolutely love them! I home school my daughter and we are about to start a 3 month project on Ancient Egypt and these items will certainly help to bring it to life. They are a good size for a child's hand to hold, are brightly coloured and cover a wide range from pyramids to a sphinx to Nefertiti. The items that I received were:
Nefertiti
Scarab Beetle with what looks like the Rosetta stone on the reverse side
Sphinx
Amulet of Anubis
Tutankhamen
3 pyramids in a row
Hieroglyph of RE

Each figure/item has its name printed on the underside. The tube that they come in has a spinning globe at the very top of it and the lid also clicks shut again so that nothing can fall out. I think this is brilliant value for money and it will be used again and again over the years in my house.

Egyptian Timeline Hieroglyphics Plastic Ruler - 30cm
Egyptian Timeline Hieroglyphics Plastic Ruler - 30cm
Offered by Fruit Salad Retro

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a brilliant item at a reasonable price that will really help ..., 23 Dec. 2015
This ruler is clearly marked in cm, mm and inches so is completely functional in that respect, but it also has very clear images of some hieroglyphics. Each image is in vivid colour with the background a cream colour, which is supposed to mimic papyrus I presume. It covers the alphabet of A-Z but also certain sounds, such as, CH..KH...SH...SCH...TH...TCH...OU. On the reverse of the ruler is a brief description of what hieroglyphics are and then below that is a list of important dates starting at 3100-2950BC and goes up to modern times. There are 13 dates and related information on the reverse of the ruler. This is a brilliant item at a reasonable price that will really help with any Ancient Egyptian project.

The Apex Wasp Part Slides
The Apex Wasp Part Slides

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value for money and very clear images, 20 Mar. 2014
I bought a kids microscope from a charity shop for £2.50 for my 6 year old daughter. I looked online for prepared slides as didn't fancy doing that myself as no idea how to do it properly and came across these slides on Amazon. There are 6 slides in a rigid plastic box with a lid that clips shut. There are slide holders on the side of the box to keep them securely in place. The contents of my slides were as follows:
1) Wasp 1st leg
2) Wasp 2nd leg
3) Wasp 3rd leg
4) Wasp Wing
5) Wasp Antenna
6) Wasp Eye

I used 100x magnification on the little microscope to view them and the results were fabulous. I have bought other sets of Apex Microscope Prepared Slides and they are all brilliant. Hope to collect the whole set so that as my daughter grows she can view each of them with more interest and knowledge. In my humble opinion, these slides are amazing value for money as will last for years and you really don't need a powerful microscope to view them. Perfect for beginners like me and my daughter!

The Apex Insect Leg Slides
The Apex Insect Leg Slides
Offered by Apex Microscopes

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear images even on a little microscope, 20 Mar. 2014
1) Honeybee Worker 1st leg (cs)
2) Honeybee Worker 2nd leg (cs)
3) Honeybee Worker 3rd leg (cs)
4) Housefly leg (cs)
5) Mantis leg (cs)
6) Butterfly leg (cs)

The Apex Plant Leaf Slides
The Apex Plant Leaf Slides

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 20 Mar. 2014
1) Oleander Leaf (cs)
2) Lilac Leaf (cs)
3) Winter Jasmine Leaf (cs)
4) Pine Leaf (cs)
5) Cotton Leaf (cs)
6) Sunflower Leaf (cs)

I used 100x magnification on the little microscope to view them and the results were fabulous. You really could see all the cell structure of the leaves! I have bought other sets of Apex Microscope Prepared Slides and they are all brilliant. Hope to collect the whole set so that as my daughter grows she can view each of them with more interest and knowledge. In my humble opinion, these slides are amazing value for money as will last for years and you really don't need a powerful microscope to view them. Perfect for beginners like me and my daughter!

Sum Swamp(TM) Additions & Subtraction Game
Sum Swamp(TM) Additions & Subtraction Game

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant idea to help a child with maths, 10 Dec. 2013
This game was bought for my 5.5 year old daughter as a present. Although I do maths with her daily using sums that are written down or read from a book/computer screen, etc., it was slow and humdrum. She grasped the concept of addition and subtraction but her mind would wander during the lessons as she just found it rather boring. However, that has changed with the introduction of this game - maths learning by stealth is the best way to describe it!!! It is well made with 4 x very durable rubber play pieces (snake, snail, frog and a turtle) and 3 dice. My daughter loves it when she can pass me with her play piece and finds it hilarious when we get caught in the "endless loop". It naturally leads a child into mental arithmetic (she still mainly uses fingers to add up and subtract but is able to do simple sums in her head now) as well as understand & recognise odd and even numbers and she is able to jump from addition to subtraction quickly, which is something she struggled with when using paper sums. She asks me to play this game every day with her and we must do at least 5 games in a row each and every time as she just wants to do it again and again. It is such a simple idea but so well thought out and also brilliantly presented. Delighted with this game and would thoroughly recommend it to everyone!!

Usborne Book of Batteries and Magnets (Usborne How to Guides)
Usborne Book of Batteries and Magnets (Usborne How to Guides)
by Paula Borton

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is amazing, 9 Dec. 2013
This book, at first glance, is small and very thin, but the contents offer an amazing variety of experiments to grasp the theory of how magnets and batteries work. You can create a T Shirt with LED's to illuminate a painted design, a working electromagnetic crane, a snake charmer, a downhill skier, a frog on lilypad game, a juggling clown with LED balls, etc etc. The projects are great fun for adults and not just for kids - I loved every single one and can't wait to get started. I feel that it really explains both magnets and electrical circuits in a manner that is detailed enough for kids to learn the theory but also simple enough for them to put it into practice without feeling daunted. My daughter will have great fun with these projects as she is home educated and there are enough of them to keep us occupied for months!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6