Profile for D. R. Kirkby > Reviews

Content by D. R. Kirkby

D. R. Kirkby (the UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars As a fridge it is not too bad, although the very limited storage space should be ..., 22 Jun. 2015
As a fridge it is not too bad, although the very limited storage space should be considered. The attachments to the door which allow you to store food in the shelf, is probably best removed to give a bit more internal space.

It a source of wide-band radio frequency interference, which would certainly not pass European regulations for electromagnetic compatibility - aka CE marking etc. After contacting the UK distributor of the product, we were really getting no useful help.

4 x 5 LITRES PET / KENNEL DISINFECTANT LEMON FRAGRANCE * FREE POST * ONLY SOLD BY C.S.I
Offered by Ideal 365 Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Not pet friendly, as confirmed by the manufacturer, 27 Jan. 2015
We bought 4 x 5 L of this from Ideal 365 Ltd. It arrived in a box showing a picture of a cat and dog, and the words "Pet Friendly Disinfectant". My wife was suspicious, as there was nothing on the actual container to indicate it was pet friendly. So she phoned the company name indicated in the actual label (Selden Research Ltd), who said it is is an industrial disinfectant, and not pet friendly. It seems what you actually order, and what you get, can be two different things, and them dangerously different.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2016 1:15 PM GMT

Weathereye WEA22 Indoor/ Outdoor Electronic Weather Station with Wind and Rain Sensors

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly engineered, poor display., 4 Oct. 2013
The indoor unit has a touch sensitive display. If you look on the Amazon web site, or on the box this is packaged in, you will see a nice clear display, with dark black letters/numbers, a very light background, so a high contrast display. Unfortunately, the actual display is of much poorer quality, with a low contrast. Compared to the ClimetMET unit I have, which costs less than half the amount, but does not measure wind or rain, the display on this unit is very poor indeed.

The box has the word "professional" written on it. Given the price, I did not expect a truly professional unit, but I was amazed at how poorly constructed it was. The rain and wind sensors plug into an external unit that is battery powered. The plugs/sockets are the same as used on telephones, so are not designed for external use. Everything is designed as cheap as possible, and I would have little confidence the external items would last long.

I requested a refund, and then tried to do the refund and found I was expected to pay the postage. I then telephoned the supplier (The UK Weather Store), to complain about this. They blamed the way Amazon work, and promised to refund the carriage costs, so I will book UPS (my preferred courier) to pick this up and send it back, and they said they will refund me if I sent proof what it cost me.

What I found annoying is The UK Weather Store were aware of the poor contrast ratio of the display, and pointed out to me there was no adjustment. They pointed out it gets even worst if you look at an angle. I'd not noticed that, but since it was so poor, I never tried fixing it up to use.

Apparently they are trying to find a better model, and admit the picture on the Amazon site and the box is not accurate. When I asked why do they sell it on Amazon with that picture, they tell they did not put the picture, and have no control over it. Since Amazon don't allow duplicate listings, they can't create another listing. Although the lady was very pleasant about it, I can't help feeling The UK Weather Store could do something about it. They could either report to Amazon the picture is not accurate, create a listing with a title sufficiently different that Amazon don't think it is a duplicate. (I've done this on eBay myself, so I suspect it can be done on Amazon), or if none of that works, they should not sell an item where the actual pictures on Amazon are not real, and they know that.

So overall, a very poor quality unit, with a poor display, and a seller that is aware of the problem of poor display contrast, but still continues to sell the item on amazon with a picture they know is not accurate.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 14, 2014 7:43 PM GMT

TFA Gaia Weather Station
TFA Gaia Weather Station

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice unit, available under different models, bargraph a bit annoying., 4 Oct. 2013
First anyone thinking of buying this sort of product should note the same unit is badged with all different names. Mine says "ClimeMET" on the front of the main unit, and CM9088 "Made in China" on the rear. You will see the same product, with a different names on it. One difference between them some of them seems to be that models get the time automatically from a radio transmitter, whereas for others it has to be entered manually.

One is supposed to put the batteries in the outside unit first, then on the internal unit. They syncronised quite quickly. I put the units next to each other, and the inside and outside units showed about 0.5 deg C difference. There is nothing in the specification for the accuracy of the temperature sensor, but for my purposes it is not too critical. I'm in Essex in the UK, and found the time got set pretty quickly too.

The picture on Amazon shows the exterior unit as "Temperature sensor", and display temperature on an LCD display. In fact, the unit I got supplied displayed both humidity and temperature on the external unit. The same outside temperature and humidity are of course shown on the internal unit.

To be honest, I have not taken too much notice of the symbols for what the weather is going to do. This might seem strange, but I mainly bought it so I could measure the temperature and humidity of my laboratory. I think if one is honest, the metrological office can do a better job with all their software running on lots of machines in parallel, then what a small battery powered unit will do. So I'd trust their data more than from this unit. I think if you really believe it is going to be very accurate, you are probably fooling yourself.

The interior and exterior units communicate with each other, at a frequency of 433.9 GHz - at least according to the rear of the unit. Despite the fact both my alarm and air conditioning unit works in the unlicensed 434 GHz band, so far I've not had any problems.

The somewhat annoying thing about this unit is that the pressure history bar-graph, which covers the last 24 hours in 3-hour periods, updates every 10 or so seconds, despite the fact the fact for 99.9% of the time, it will only display exactly the same data as it did 10 seconds earlier.

The manual is poor, as others have pointed out, but I managed to work out most or all of it in the end.

I have this in my lab, but are just about to order another one for the house! My wife quite liked having it around, so I'm going to buy another.

Kingston DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16 GB USB Drive - Black
Kingston DataTraveler 101 Generation 2 16 GB USB Drive - Black
Offered by Wiziwoo Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value, and works on anything I have tried., 28 Sept. 2013
I have a number of different types of computer systems here, several of which are odd, but this product works in all of them. It works on both my laptops, a Sun workstation that runs the Solaris operating system, and a Xerox printer/scanner/copier/fax. In contrast, I have found other USB sticks which work with one item, but not another. I sell a calibration kit for vector network analyzers, and include one of these in the kit with data on it. I've never had anyone say they can't read it. I can't speak for how long they last, or how fast they are, as I have never been too inclined to measure it. But the fact these work in just about anything is more important to me than speed.

Maelson - Dry Box 15kg
Maelson - Dry Box 15kg

1.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not airtight, as reviewer "david" wrote., 21 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Maelson - Dry Box 15kg (Misc.)
The description says:

* Airtight moulded lid (DB 3 model)"
* Form fitted foam seal in the lid compartment (DB 7.5 | DB 15 | DB 20)

The green lid does indeed have a foam seal where one opens and closes the lid to get the food out on a daily basis. But the green lid is not at all airtight, as another reviewer (david) wrote. As he says, it is pointless having one seal airtight, when another is not airtight.

I filled it with a small amount of water and turned it upside down. The water poured out of the gap beween the black base and the green top. The foam seal in the green lid did not leak.

I did think of using silicon (or similar) sealer around between the green lid and the black base. Whilst that would make it airtight, it would be difficult to put 15 kg of food in the smaller area intended to remove food on a daily basis.

I can't understand the mentality of a designer making one seal airtight, and the other clearly not airtight at all. It is about as sensible as locking the door as you go out of the house, but leaving all the windows open!

This will be returned to Amazon. I had it all of 5 minutes before reaching the conclusion it fails miserably.

Yale wirefree Premium Alarm Kit HSA6400
Yale wirefree Premium Alarm Kit HSA6400
Offered by STOCK SECURITY SOLUTIONS UK LTD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really suitable for a detached house, 18 Jun. 2013
I read a lot of good reviews on this, so bought one. But I must admit I was a bit dissapointed. I should say I live in a detached house, with 3 bedrooms, and a garage in which I have a lot of high value items. Most of my comments would not apply to a terraced house, but for larger properties they do. There are plenty of reviews about the good things, so I am not going to repeat these.

Now lets get down to the problems.

1) I'd like to keep people off of my property, which is about 1/3rd acre. The contact sensors are only for use inside, so you can't alarm a gate. I'm thinking about waterproofing a sensor so I can use it on a garden gate.

2) The same issue with the PIRs - only suitable for inside use, so I can't use them to detect if someone is on my land. I'm thinking about using one of the pet friendly PIRs under my garage, which is covered away from the elements.

3) By default it comes with a dummy siren. As someone else said, buy a second real one.

4) You can't disable a detector easily. The only way I can find is to delete it. I'd like to keep a contact sensor on my oil tank, which I'd want alarmed 24 hours per day, 364 days per week. The tank gets filled once per year.

5) There are only 3 modes - off, alarm on, and "home armed". Home armed is designed so you an keep the downstairs of the house armed, while you sleep. I find this insufficient, as I am particulary keen to keep the garage armed when I'm in the house some times. I would also like to keep the downstairs armed when upstairs. Whilst I can do either the garage or downstairs, it is not possible to do these independantly. I'd like at least 4 zones, perhaps 6.

6) The key fob, while useful, is not very well built. It is far less rugged than the key fob supplied with our VW car.

7) The siren has "Yale" written on it. I'd rather keep it quite what type of alarm it is.

8) You can only have 20 devices attached in total. My garage has 5 doors and 4 windows, so I want to use 9 contact sensors in the garage. PIRs are less relieable than contact sensors, so although using PIRs would reduce the number required, they are more prone to false alarms.

9) You are supposed to mount the control panel near ones usual entry/exit point, and also near a phone line. If like me your phone line is nowehere near the entry point, you hit a problem. I have lots of phones in the house, all connected wirelessly to the base phone, but I can't integrate the Yale alarm into that phone system. There is no option to add a GSM phone dialer, as there is with some other alarm systems.

10) The control panel does not mount very sturdily to the wall. You get a bracket which you mount on the wall, then the control panel mounts to that bracket in just two places. As you press the keys, so the control panel moves.

Overall, I just feel it is inadequite for a detached house, especially if you have a large garage, oil tank or other outbuildings you want to alarm. I'm sure it would be fine for a terraced house, where people can only get to you through the front door
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 11, 2014 12:05 PM BST

FritzTrainer Opening: The ABC of Alekhine (2nd Edition) [DVD]
FritzTrainer Opening: The ABC of Alekhine (2nd Edition) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrew Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but suffers the same problem all this authors DVDs do, 10 Dec. 2012
Andrew Martin is a prolific author, producing many books and DVDs. He has produced more DVDs for Chessbase than any other author. But this DVD suffers from the same problem his other works do. He is too optimistic about the chances of the side he is authoring the DVD for. In this case, Black's chances in the Alekhine are very over-stated. The Alekhine is not a very popular opening, due to the fact it is not Black's best response to 1.e4. But Andrew would have you believe it is nearly impossible to lose with black, whereas in fact it is very often black gets a cramped position.

There's a review by someone on the web of one Martins DVDx, where the reviewer states Martin could sell lawnmowevers and icecubes to Eskimos. That is certainly the way Martin comes across.

Although dramatically over-hyped by Martin, the DVD is a decent enough introduction to the Alekhine. But the reader should be aware that that blacks chances are very overstated. If there were examples of games where black lost, due to getting too cramped, with discussion of how black might avoided this, then the DVD would have been more useful.

A search of a database does not show any games where Martin himself plays the Alekhine, which is strange given how highly he rates the opening for black.

Handbook of Microwave Component Measurements: with Advanced VNA Techniques
Handbook of Microwave Component Measurements: with Advanced VNA Techniques
by Joel P. Dunsmore

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book by someone designing VNAs, 28 Sept. 2012
The author, Joel Dunsmore works for Agilent developing the latest vector network analyzers, and knows his subject very well. The book is not a light read. It is very thorough, but avoids unnecessarily complicated maths. There is plenty of detail - it does not skip over difficult concepts. The 652 pages contain 652 pages of useful material - not hundreds of pages of waffle which some books have. There are lots of diagrams and graphs.
The chapter on the time-domain method goes into a lot of detail. I used to think the price to add the TDR option to Agilent VNAs was excessive, given I thought it was just an inverse Fourier Transform of the frequency domain data. But how wrong I was!

The title of the book says "advanced" and some of the techniques are certainly advanced - like for example vector corrected noise figure measurements. As such, some of the material is not very relevant to users of older, less advanced VNAs like my 20 GHz HP 8720D.

The author is a regular contributor to the Agilent Network Analyzer forums (his username is Dr_Joel). So if you buy the book, and get stuck on something, you can easily ask on the Agilent VNA forums. Joel is a very helpful guy.

I'm sure a lot of the information in the book would be useful to users of Rohde and Schwarz, Anritsu and possibly the cheap (<$500) VNAs, but it has an Agilent bias, which is understandable.

This is one of the best technical books I have bought - and I have a lot. Highly recommended if you want to really understand how VNAs work, and how to use them best.

Dr. David Kirkby BSc MSc PhD. C.Eng MIET.

CD DVD Hüllen mit schwarzem Unterteil 100 Stück
CD DVD Hüllen mit schwarzem Unterteil 100 Stück
Offered by Dragon Trading

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly packed so about 10% were broken, 7 Feb. 2012
As others have commented, these arrived poorly packed, so many are broken. If these were high-value items I would have asked for the rest to be replaced, but given the low value, I did not bother.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4