Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Mermaid 32 cm 12-inch Hard Anodised Deep Lasagne Dish
Mermaid 32 cm 12-inch Hard Anodised Deep Lasagne Dish
Price: 22.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of both worlds, 22 April 2013
I have a large, very heavy ceramic dish that I've been using to make lasagne; and truly, it does this very well, and is reasonably easy to clean; but oh, it is so heavy, and hard to manoeuvre out of my cramped oven without either getting burned or dropping it.
Hence my delight at this dish. Delia introduced me to the delights of hard anodised cookware, and I've long had a roasting pan that is substantial enough for any roast, is as happy on the hob as in the oven, and cleans remarkably easily despite years of service and being maltreated with metal implements.
I'm happy to report that this dish shares these virtues; and though solid, is so much lighter than my ceramic dish, and if anything easier to clean!

Moby Dick: or, the White Whale
Moby Dick: or, the White Whale
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A true classic, 22 April 2013
I still have a lovely though tattered hardback of this book with the marvellous Rockwell Kent Art Deco illustrations; but I was pleased recently to find that it was available (free!!!) on Kindle, so I now have that too.
Nearly everyone will know the story, either through movies of the book, or the very many stories, comics, films, etc., inspired by it - because it's simply one of the archetypal tales of all time. If you haven't read it yet, though, I'd recommend it; but only if you have the patience to gently absorb what is a sizeable, somewhat rambling book, covering a world of different subjects all wound into the central story. If you do, you'll find it a contemplative delight, beautifully written, interesting in so many ways; and with a strong, stark tale to tell that you'll never forget.

I Walk On Guilded Splinters
I Walk On Guilded Splinters
Price: 0.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dr. John!, 28 Jan 2013
Lovely juicy slice of spooky, atmospheric swamp-jazz!
One quibble - all the listings I've seen for this track call it by this title, which doesn't even make sense - the correct title, as written on the album-sleeve, is "Walk on Gilded Splinters" - much better!

Sweet Transvestite
Sweet Transvestite
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb song!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Sweet Transvestite (MP3 Download)
What can I say - a splendid song, arguably the best one in an excellent movie - Tim Curry at his sizzling best!

Let Me Sign (Featured in Twilight [Original by Robert Pattinson])
Let Me Sign (Featured in Twilight [Original by Robert Pattinson])
Price: 0.79

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit misleading, 28 Jan 2013
I was after Robert Pattinson's version of "Let Me Sign"; but bought this track not realising that it was instrumental only. Quite disappointed!!

Needle-Tip Applicator Bottles 6/Pkg-1 Ounce
Needle-Tip Applicator Bottles 6/Pkg-1 Ounce
Offered by BIC WAREHOUSE
Price: 4.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful bottles, 24 Dec 2012
Bought these for applying flux for soldering; and a very good deal for six of them, since they can be used for a variety of purposes. Especially liked that they were supplied with the nozzle uncut, so you can cut them according to the degree of precision you require.

Harry, A History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
by Melissa Anelli
Price: 9.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly interesting, 19 Jun 2012
I really enjoyed "Harry, a History"!
The author's the webmistress of the Harry Potter fansite, the Leaky Cauldron; and while I'm a pretty big Harry Potter fan myself, I hadn't really dabbled much in fansites and other serious Potter fandom, feeling a bit of a fraud by comparison with the really keen fans. However, the reviews I'd read sounded promising, so I gave it a go.
Once I started reading, I was hooked - the author's love of Potter poured out from the pages, and re-sparked my own love for it. I liked her style too, clear, journalistic, and well-phrased. And I was fascinated by the story of the rise of the Potter phenomenon, particularly in the U.S. - I never realised just how popular it was there, as well as here. Lots of interesting facts and characters - the tour with the band Harry and the Potters springs to mind - look them up on YouTube if you dare!
Reading this book, it would probably help if you were a Potter fan; but I reckon even a non-fan would be seduced by this passionate and sunny book!

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 [DVD]
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film of a fine book, 5 Dec 2011
I've been an enthusiastic reader of all the Twilight Saga books, and have enjoyed all the movies (even New Moon - criticised by many for what was only its faithfulness to the book). The Breaking Dawn novel blew me away: the best and strongest of the lot, harrowing and exhilarating to read; and I couldn't imagine how they would be able to film it in anything like the same spirit - especially the graphic horror of Renesmee's birth, which I know has been a step too far for some; and equally difficult, the culmination of Edward and Bella's vampire-and-mortal love.
I needn't have worried. The movie did the best possible job of filming the unfilmable in the only sensible way, by sketching these awesome moments in quick flashes that anyone familiar with, and appreciative of, the books would follow without difficulty. Marvellous! Even more than I had dared to expect.
At this point, unsympathetic reviewers (and the "haters", who only contribute to spread a little venom on something they've never liked) say, "But what about people who haven't read the books?" To which I'd reply, "Then go read them, and give them a proper chance; and THEN go see the movies again. If you still don't like the books, then don't presume to comment on something you'll never understand."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2012 10:54 AM GMT

Misfits - Original Soundtrack
Misfits - Original Soundtrack
Offered by FLASH
Price: 8.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking songs, 24 Sep 2011
I bought this because I'm a fan of Misfits; and have thoroughly enjoyed it.
Since I'm a bit (!) older than the intended audience, I hadn't heard any of the music played on the show previously, but liked it enough (particularly the track played at the beginning of every episode) to buy this album. Recommended!

No High Adobe and Adobe Doorways
No High Adobe and Adobe Doorways
by Dl Pillsbury

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely evocation of a vanished time, 8 July 2011
The books collected in this edition hold a special place in my heart. Not only do they remind me of the time many years ago that I spent in New Mexico, when I first encountered them; but they are simply such charming books! They are stories about a long-vanished old Santa Fe and its inhabitants, and so sweetly described that I always wished I could have lived there then. Adorable!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4