Profile for Big Ro > Reviews

The Secret Service - Kingsman
The Secret Service - Kingsman
by Mark Millar

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a bit of a let down, 24 May 2014
I've been reading Mark Millar for quite a while and have really enjoyed most of his stuff. Wanted and Kick Ass are fun, Nemesis and American Jesus definitely worth a read and his Wolverine short story set in Sobibor is brilliant.

I also appreciate how his Millarworld set up really champions creator-owned as a concept. But herin lies my first problem with Kingsman: I feel that this book could have benefitted from a little quality control. I get the feeling that what Mark Millar says goes and that this has impacted on the editing of this book. I felt the pacing was choppy and the dialogue strained. And the stereotyping of British underclasses.... Oh dear.

My second issue (and here I might be committing a comic sin) is that Dave Gibbons' art isn't all that good. Now I love Watchmen as much as the next geek, but if we're honest Watchmen was all about the writing rather than the art. In Kingsmen Gibbons' work lets him down. There are two major areas where this is the case for me. Firstly, many of the lighter-hearted moments in the book involve famous celebrities. Some of the jokes require you to recognise the celebrity involved. The likenesses are poor. Very poor. It really detracts from what the book is trying to do. Secondly, all the main characters appear to be the same age. Some of the characters are supposed to be aging secret agents, some very young recruits... they all look the same. It is a fairly minor complaint, but really impacted on the telling of the story for me.

Added to this a slightly cliched story (the main plot point of which mirrors that of Dan Brown's Inferno), I can just say I was disappointed.

Infinite Vacation Deluxe HC
Infinite Vacation Deluxe HC
by Nick Spencer

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever and very pretty (mostly), 15 Sept. 2013
I was given this book as a gift by a friend who knows my taste. I hadn't heard of it so went in blind. I was really impressed.

This is an example of a book with a strong and thoroughly worked through central concept: parallel universe theory has developed to the point where you can vacation in your parallel lives. As there are infinite universes there are infinite versions of your life to experience. We follow Mark, an infinite vacationer who begins to suspect someone is murdering versions of him in parallel worlds. Alongside this he meets a girl who could possibly be his soul mate, but hates infinite vacationers.

Look, I really haven't done the plot justice. The logic of the premise is followed through incredibly well which makes what could be a complicated idea make sense.

The art is brilliant, although the (infrequent) photo comic parts do not fit well in my opinion.

In the end all I can say is that I really enjoyed this book and would certainly recommend. It is definitely on my retread list.

Westerns Triple -True Grit (1969), Once Upon a Time in the West, Shane [DVD]
Westerns Triple -True Grit (1969), Once Upon a Time in the West, Shane [DVD]
Dvd ~ Henry Fonda
Offered by Discs4all

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movies and great value, 23 July 2013
There is no extra fat on this package - just three excellent Westerns at a very reasonable price.

True Grit, Shane and Once Upon a Time in the West are all considered classics (and justifiably so in my humble opinion).

I would definitely recommend.

Lone Wolf and Cub Volume 6: Lanterns for the Dead (Lone Wolf and Cub (Dark Horse))

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets Better and Better, 23 July 2013
I have been working my way through the Lone Wolf and Cub series and it just gets better and better. The story is starting to form into a recognisable arc without over-egging it. The tales of Lone Wolf's assassinations are really fun. Short bursts of beautifully rendered violence intersperse long periods of dramatic build up.

The whole saga is long, but I am thoroughly enjoying the ride so far.

Twenty-something
Twenty-something

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly Written, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Twenty-something (Kindle Edition)
I have read most of the small backpacker genre including Are You Experienced by William Sutcliffe, Alex Garland's the Beach, Emily Barr's backpack and enjoyed them all. The field is relatively narrow, so when Twenty-Something popped on my radar I thought I'd try it (it is relatively cheap after all). I am disappointed I did to be honest.

My main criticism is it is just very poorly written. Looking past the spelling errors (and there are many), the prose is thrown together like the diary entries of a 14 year-old. I found this prevented me from making any connection with the narator or becoming engrossed in the story.

Secondly, at times (notable the introduction), it reads like a 14-year-old's sex fantasy. It is true that sex plays a big part of many people's travelling experiences but this read like an "I never thought it would happen to me" letter from Penthouse.

Fair play to the author for self-publishing (I assume), but I'd suggest this is avoided as I found it practically unreadable.

Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City
by Guy Delisle

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, poignant and educational, 28 Mar. 2013
I pick this up on a whim after deciding to explore travelogues in comic form (an underrepresented genre I was surprised to find). I had a fair idea of what I could expect from this book and was very pleasantly surprised to find that I was wrong.

I thought this would be a single narrative politically polemic essay on Isreali occupation and domination of Palestine. As many other reviewers have explained, it wasn't. It is a selection of short insights into daily life of an expat living in Jerusalem - and it is all the better for it.

I definitely feel I got a better insight into today's Jerusalem from this book that I have from the news coverage I have exposure to.

Learning about Guy Delisle's attempts to get into the Dome on the Rock made me laugh a lot. Getting a sense of what the Israeli settlemets are actually like was surprising and amusing.

Sections that highlight the oppression of the Palestinian people were all the more shocking for their juxtaposition to tales of trying to find a decent playground for the kids.

I can't recommend this highly enough. His previous books are on order as a result of taking a chance on this. Do yourself a favour and read it.

Fairytale Treasury (Usborne Treasuries) (Clothbound Story Collections)
Fairytale Treasury (Usborne Treasuries) (Clothbound Story Collections)
by Rosie Dickins

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Book, 13 Sept. 2012
Two of my best friends have recently had a baby boy. I wanted to buy a gift that was a little different to the standard baby-grow/booties combo. I also wanted to buy something that would get use through the years. I decided that a book of classic fairytales would be the way to go.

It is generaly difficult to get a sense of what you are buying through the photos on Amazon, but take my word on it that this collection is beautiful. The illustrations are in watercolour and spill across the page. Flicking through this it reminded me in the best possible way of the ladybird books of my childhood.

The cover is velvet-like in texture and the paper quality inside is high. It looks striking on a bookshelf.

The book has all the fairytales I am familiar with and some I had never heard of.

My friends were over the moon with the book and I was very pleased indeed.

Not for Tourists Guide to London
Not for Tourists Guide to London
by Not For Tourists

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 Jan. 2012
I bought the NFT Guide for NYC for a visit in the summer. It was brilliant; great recommendations that never missed the mark. The listings were brief and to the point, but gave a good overview of what you could expect from the pub/club/restaurant.

I was so impressed I decided to buy the NFT guide to my hometown, London. I'm sorry I did.

The lists are short and inaccurate. Looking at the entries for the area I live in 4 of the hundreds of restaurants are listed. Of these 3 are no longer in business and the other one is rubbish. There are some amazing places here but you wouldn't know that from this book. Looking through other areas the story is the same - limited independent offerings (you would be forgiven for thinking you can only buy coffee from Starbucks or Nero in London), and no information on what each place specialises in.

There are some decent sections on the parks, but really, you would get better in any other guide designed FOR tourists.

If you are visiting New York definitely buy the NFT guide, if you live in London, or are visiting, don't.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 4:01 PM GMT

The Rocketeer: The Complete Collection (Rocketeer Complete Collection Hc)
The Rocketeer: The Complete Collection (Rocketeer Complete Collection Hc)
by Dave Stevens

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Drawn if Slightly Light, 4 Mar. 2010
There are moments when reading this collected Rocketeer when the sheer beauty of Dave Stevens' art can take your breath away. There is no denying the Rocketeer looks good. From the re-coloured art to the beautiful hardcover binding. It's clever too. If you know who Doc Savage or The Shadow are, then you could be in for a treat.

The story, like most pre- Dark Knight Returns is relatively light. Even the more adult moments are handled in a very light-hearted fashion.

It's also very short. 8 short issues make for a very thin volume. But it is the complete telling of the tale and exhaustive for it. The whole package is padded out with some additional cover art, which is definitely a bonus.

If you are looking for indepth story telling and complex characters try Watchmen, if you are looking for a beautiful looking bit of pulp - you've found it!

Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360)
Left 4 Dead (Xbox 360)

5.0 out of 5 stars Online Arcade Zombie Fun, 24 April 2009
This game is not perfect, but in terms of sheer fun I struggle to think of a more satisfying effort on 360. If you come looking for Resident Evil, then you will be disappointed. If you come looking for Call of Duty, you will be let down. If you come looking for a truly "Co-Op" game then this is for you. You cannont survive without the other players, you just can't. And the best fun is when you are deciding how to best defend an area from the hoard of zombies you know you are about to attract.

This reminds me of the arcde games of my youth. Fast, fun and not too much exposition. And my girlfriend loves it (and any game that can do that and mean I can play xbox whenever I like with impunity gets my vote).

I would probably steer clear if you don't have Xbox Live though. It's online where this game exists.

Page: 1 | 2